VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Go back to 1998-2004 and ask Honda that.

I'm sure you'll want to stop in at Nissan as well.

The more they strive for gas mileage and integration with the entire drive and body control systems, the more complex they make every part. Including transmissions.

And at the same time, they get beaten on by the bean counters who would rather they solve the increasingly complex stability and fuel use requirements using duct tape and bailing wire. (Actually, I think American Honda patented that.)
Well yeah JATCO and Honda have some pretty bad transmissions. Honda is making an attempt to get better as they have the capital to invest in improving. Nissan has been in trouble for years and since the French bought them they have gone downhill in reliability.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Oh, and modem VW's are a lot more reliable than in the 80's and 90's. It was a **** show back then.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Not sure I agree with this. I have a 1984 Rabbit and it is pretty reliable but even if something breaks it is not thousands of dollars to fix like the new VWs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not sure I agree with this. I have a 1984 Rabbit and it is pretty reliable but even if something breaks it is not thousands of dollars to fix like the new VWs.
I'm sure a well maintained A1 GTI is reliable today, initial quality wasn't great. I owned a new A1, A2, and A3. It's wasn't pretty.

The 6/72 warranty is the only reason I came back to VW. My sons 2018 and my 2019 GTI have been pretty good. One issue with the 2019.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My 2012 Golf R hasn’t needed a repair in 105k, only maintenance. There’s nothing really interesting in the VW lineup anymore, so I probably won’t be back. The MK6 was built solidly. Germany seems to be going soft lately. Jeep and Cameron’s for the USA win.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Not surprised at all. VW has really lost the way. Talk to a new VW owner that just moved over to the brand. Horror stories and they typically mention the car/suv is a piece of crap. I have a couple people at work that moved over an purchased newer VWs, they want to drive them off cliffs. I dont hear the complaints as much from people that have owned multiple VWs previously. But lets be honest, this is a VW community and how many of us have moved on from the brand and used to be VW faithful. This is how I look at it. Let say I have a kid or wife that needs a car but will put some mileage on it daily. Would I risk placing them in a VW or looking at a Kia or Hyndai with less issues and better warranty?

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,899 Posts
Not surprised at all. VW has really lost the way. Talk to a new VW owner that just moved over to the brand. Horror stories and they typically mention the car/suv is a piece of crap. I have a couple people at work that moved over an purchased newer VWs, they want to drive them off cliffs. I dont hear the complaints as much from people that have owned multiple VWs previously. But lets be honest, this is a VW community and how many of us have moved on from the brand and used to be VW faithful. This is how I look at it. Let say I have a kid or wife that needs a car but will put some mileage on it daily. Would I risk placing them in a VW or looking at a Kia or Hyndai with less issues and better warranty?
I know SO MANY PEOPLE that owned ONE VW, just one. That's all it took to swear them off the brand. This has been going on for decades.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know SO MANY PEOPLE that owned ONE VW, just one. That's all it took to swear them off the brand. This has been going on for decades.
There's also lots of masochists that keep buying them over and over.

That being said, you have to be a deranged fanboi to buy a new Tiguan or Atlas. Rental car interiors, poor driving dynamics, even for SUV's. I was stuck in a Tiguan for a week waiting for an O2 sensor for my car and the throttle tip, gearing and shift quality made it impossible to drive smoothly. That should be VW's bread and butter, smooth and torquey, but they couldn't even do that right. And the cheap plastic. Everywhere.

If you're going to rely on SUV's to pad the profits, they have to be better than that. Ewww.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
They are on their way to solving all of their engine and transmissions problems. The solution is take all of that out and make it an EV. :laugh:

I'm only kind of joking. I think they are ramping down ICE engineering and putting that time and money into EV tech. That is making things less reliable. Obviously just a guess but hopefully their EVs do better than their latest ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
There's also lots of masochists that keep buying them over and over.

That being said, you have to be a deranged fanboi to buy a new Tiguan or Atlas. Rental car interiors, poor driving dynamics, even for SUV's. I was stuck in a Tiguan for a week waiting for an O2 sensor for my car and the throttle tip, gearing and shift quality made it impossible to drive smoothly. That should be VW's bread and butter, smooth and torquey, but they couldn't even do that right. And the cheap plastic. Everywhere.

If you're going to rely on SUV's to pad the profits, they have to be better than that. Ewww.

I guess I'm a deranged fanboi:wave:

I like the minimalist interior, durable V-tex seats, snappy screen and straightforward controls. Maybe I have better coordination or something, but the car is super easy to drive smoothly once you recognize its power limitations. The driving dynamics are just fine for real life.

·
Senior Sloth
2,679 Posts
<Slowly raises hand>

Granted, I did own it for 17 years.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,899 Posts
<Slowly raises hand>

Granted, I did own it for 17 years.
Our one and only Volkswagen with a B5 Passat 1.8 T. That’s what brought me to this form in the first place all those years ago. At the time nothing else drove like it and it had a European flair and character the Japanese couldn’t come close to.

It did give us lots of little issues though which required frequent dealer visits. This is when we found out the local dealer was just awful, and traveling to the slightly better dealer one hour away with a real pain in the butt for all of the times we needed to go.

We’ve looked at other VWs in the years since but none of them ever tickled us enough to put up with the expected hassle-factor.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Doesn't surprise me.

Warranty is OMG. But you can't get past a service manager to replace something obviously broken. So doesn't matter if there's a warranty or not.

This is not the VW I'm used to.
Oh, and modem VW's are a lot more reliable than in the 80's and 90's. It was a **** show back then.
Seriously. My first VW was a 93 Corrado. I said I'd never buy another VW again. My 2016 R was epic though. :thumbup:

Surprised to see they're on a downswing as I had previously heard nothing but improvements and generally positive things into Mk6 and Mk7.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
There's just too many other brands with consistently better reliability to even both with VW again. Two and done for me :thumbdown::thumbdown:

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,036 Posts
Our one and only Volkswagen with a B5 Passat 1.8 T. That’s what brought me to this form in the first place all those years ago. At the time nothing else drove like it and it had a European flair and character the Japanese couldn’t come close to.

It did give us lots of little issues though which required frequent dealer visits. This is when we found out the local dealer was just awful, and traveling to the slightly better dealer one hour away with a real pain in the butt for all of the times we needed to go.

We’ve looked at other VWs in the years since but none of them ever tickled us enough to put up with the expected hassle-factor.
I feel like I could have written this. It reflects my experiences with my 337 and my wife's B5.5 V6 wagon (which she bought before we met). The latter got tired way too soon, too. Every once in a while VW seems to introduce something interesting to the American market, and every time I start hearing stories from owners that remind me of my past experiences.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
They are on their way to solving all of their engine and transmissions problems. The solution is take all of that out and make it an EV. :laugh:

I'm only kind of joking. I think they are ramping down ICE engineering and putting that time and money into EV tech. That is making things less reliable. Obviously just a guess but hopefully their EVs do better than their latest ICE vehicles.
Sometimes I think VW management does not know what they are doing in the North American market. For example, that new electric van/bus seems like a good idea BUT they need to start slowly with electric technology. It is a mistake to make an all electric VW van/bus right now for the North American market. They should start with a hybrid and then move gradually into electric vehicles. I really do not know why they do not offer the new VW van/bus as a hybrid first. In the USA an electric van/bus is not going to cut it for most people. I go on thousand mile road trips every year and we drive a Prius hybrid. Right now, in the USA waiting around for charging with 2 kids screaming in the car will not work for Americans. I think Germans who have an almost negative birthrate probably do not understand this, lol. Also,we do not have the capacity or infrastructure for full electric yet. In the summer there are power outages from air conditioners.

The Germans and Europeans as a whole(Volvo may be an exception, IDK) just do not understand the North American markets or people. We like to drive far and do not want to wait around for charging, especially for people that have kids that get bored. They need to understand their customers.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
German engineering is overrated. They tend to overcomplicate their design with no real benefit to it, sacrificing reliability along the way and bu nature they are stubborn, I have two decades of professional experience dealing with German engineers...I mean they would not listen to their American execs asking for right product mix for decades...maybe finally with their latest onslaught of SUV/CUV cars, who knows.
VW reliability has always been hit or miss. I purchased new mk7 GTI roughly 5 yrs ago and had $250 of unexpected out of warranty repair (DIY) so not too bad (disclaimer - my GTI is a base bare bones with manual gearbox, so probably bit more reliable than a loaded model). But I knew going in that I was not buying Toyota so I set my expectations lower :)
Here is the perfect example, I was watching review of the mk8 Golf and noticed that VW deleted hood strut (to save €5) but instead they decided to put two hood latches instead of one...so when the cable fails now you have to somehow release two ****ing hood latches instead of one...I mean my GTI has one and it works fine, I’d rather have hood strut...folks at Toyota will use the same goddman latch for 20 yrs, meanwhile VW engineers have to try something new for the sake of “improvement”. The only car I’ve had with double latch was E90 BMW...so it looks like Golf is moving upmarket at the cost of the hood strut :)

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,336 Posts
Wow. This is not my experience at all with my Mk7 Golf R.

I have not had one, not one, not a single issue in 4 years of ownership. Nothing. Nada. Zilch!!!

It's the most problem free car I've owned in my life.

Resale value for a VW is GOD awful.
Actually the R holds its value insanely well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Wow. This is not my experience at all with my Mk7 Golf R.

I have not had one, not one, not a single issue in 4 years of ownership. Nothing. Nada. Zilch!!!

It's the most problem free car I've owned in my life.

Actually the R holds its value insanely well.
4 years is not long for VW ownership. Once you get around 100,000 miles is when trouble occurs. However coolant leaks are a given with a VW no matter the mileage usually. If you have a manual transmission they tend to be much more reliable. Golf R is not a typical model, some dealerships do not even have any in stock as they do not order many it seems.

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,336 Posts
If you have a manual transmission they tend to be much more reliable.
That's funny because all my friends with manual Golf Rs have slipping clutches. Glad I went DSG. :)

41 - 60 of 132 Posts