VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda has a cheep programable ignition with out switching chips. they can program everything. Do VW's have anything close?

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Re: VW equilivent to the Hondata (troze1200)

switching chips???
huh, i dont understand the question!?
do VW's have programmable engine managment that you dont need to switch a chip? of course!
engine managment can be used on any gas operated fuel injected motor! the kits your talking about is probably the piggy back crap that is garbage in my book. NO, nobody makes this crap for vw's.

[Modified by speed51133, 10:53 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: VW equilivent to the Hondata (speed51133)

speed...first educate yourself about the product...then you can post, this would actually be something youd be VERY interested in, if it was made for VWs.
or check the link for yourself http://www.hondata.com
gerupado...to answer your question, currently there is nothing like this for VWs. There is a company in Europe that does something similar, but not for the 2.0liters unfortunately. It would sure be nice, if theres ever something in the future made for VWs that is similar.

·
Banned
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: VW equilivent to the Hondata (speed51133)

quote:[HR][/HR]switching chips???
huh, i dont understand the question!?
do VW's have programmable engine managment that you dont need to switch a chip? of course!
engine managment can be used on any gas operated fuel injected motor! the kits your talking about is probably the piggy back crap that is garbage in my book. NO, nobody makes this crap for vw's.

[Modified by speed51133, 10:53 AM 11-28-2001][HR][/HR]​
speed - please never respond to something i am asking about. why?, you might ask cause you dont know s hit.http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
sorry everybody
onefly - i have a VR6 not a 2.slow, do they have anything for the VR6?
speed - I dont make typos!!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: VW equilivent to the Hondata (Gerapudo)

hehe...sorry bout that...when i wrote 2.0 i was thinking about speeds setup. They do not have any systems for any of the North American spec Ecus...just European spec.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts

nope, nothing like the Hondata out there for VWs. The VW tuners need the chip business to keep the lights on. There are tuners capable of making such a product, but will probably never come out with one for fear that someone might figure out how to make and sell chips. If you look at the way Hondata structures their products, they still do "chips", as not everyione can throw down 1100 bucks, then have the knowledge to tune the car. But for those that do, the option is there.
AEM is about to realease a whole slew of plug and play ECUs for a bunch of cars. The 1.8t Golf/Jetta may be on the list, but I won't say till I know for sure. Of course, that doesn't do you a bit of good, and I will probably have converted to full stand alone by then, but if it comes out, it would be a start in the right direction.
As for typos, I can see 3 in your first post, but who's counting

[Modified by 1.BillyT, 1:29 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
256 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Honda has a cheep programable ignition with out switching chips. they can program everything. Do VW's have anything close?[HR][/HR]​
From reading I have done, it seems like newer Bosch ECU's (the ones compatible with the VAG-COM laptop thingy) are capable of being programmed with a laptop, but probably nobody is making the software to do that because, as other people said, there is big $$ in chipping. selling you the tools to do it yourself would end their repeat business from the same guy everytime he changes something.
take care,
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts