VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize in advance to those here who may be weary of this topic as I've posted multiple threads before over the past year. But since I brought home my 2008 Eos Lux 2.0T last year I have had issues with the DSG transmission.

My car experienced intermittent transmission surging, usually at low speed, both in first gear and especially in reverse where it was more obvious. It felt like a choppy stutter. It was worse when the car was hot but always happened when I was applying just a small amount of pressure on the throttle.
I also had another issue when launching the car, when putting the pedal down hard when entering fast traffic from a dead stop. I'd hit the gas and the whole car would hedge as power would disappear for a terrifying few seconds. It was something quite different than turbo lag.
The VW dealer first looked at the transmission about 4 months after I bought the car. Because the Eos is still somewhat of a novelty to my dealer here in Seattle, there was a bit of head scratching on these issues, especially as the computer wasn't producing any fault codes. Making them even more elusive, the problems were intermittent and erratic so the mechanics had a hard time repeating the problems in the short time I'd be at the dealer.
During a test drive in Feb 2008, with one of the VW mechanics driving the car, it finally did the choppy surging thing on command. Working from a TSB on the DSG transmissions, they surmised it was a faulty Mechatronics unit. So they ordered one from Germany and installed it. That seemed to make the surging problem go away for a while. But again, it was intermittent. And I still had the hedge.
The car went back in a couple more times but they simply could not replicate what it was doing for me. I was lucky that the shop had a really smart, patient service supervisor. In June of this year he finally figured out what was causing the hedging from hard starts. Though we thought the culprit all along was the tranny, the problem stemmed from a faulty brake switch sensor. Apparently the DSG transmission has a protection mechanism built in that prevents excessive power from being delivered to it if the brakes are on. I was taking my foot off the brake and pushing on the gas for power but the switch would lag and make the tranny think the brakes were still on. They replaced the switch and there was no more hedge.
Unfortunately, the choppy stutter continued. I finally brought the car in for its 10,000 mile service last week and pleaded with them, once and for all, to fix the choppy transmission issue. But again, they would take the car on test drives and it would not repeat the behavior that it did for me all the time. They'd call me and said there were no fault codes and the tranny was smooth as silk.
This morning, at our wits end, they proposed one more test. They said that if it was OK with me they were going to have one of their service techs take the car on an hour-long drive. I agreed, as the problem was more frequent when the car was hot. They took the car on the drive and reported back, much to my relief, that they finally got it to misbehave.
They took it back to the shop, dropped the transmission, and discovered that it had a warped clutch plate that was the cause of the problem all along. They're flying one in from LA and I should have my car back in a couple of days.
Sorry for the long post but I've encountered a few others here who have had similar problems with their DSG transmissions. As the technology is still relatively new (and my dealer's service department admitted that there is a bit of a learning curve remaining for them) I wanted to document these solutions for the benefit of others here.

Modified by cjboffoli at 7:44 PM 10-13-2008

Modified by cjboffoli at 7:10 AM 10-15-2008

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: (BigFoot-74205)

I for one am glad to hear these twin issus, and what is problematic is the no fault codes. My lux is due any day and I am keenly aware not all cars work. My 02 1.8t passat vundercar had a multiple driver's hot seat issue. VERY hot electric enduced heated driver seat unresponsive to the controlls. 6 TIMES!!! into the shop under waranty and three new seats later the car was finally discovered to have a design issue fault with the power driver lighted mirror, unplug the mirror and the issue went away... they where very happy I did not lemon law the car here in CO, but why would I. I loved that beast, finally traded it for a beatiful new silver one

Modified by wishbone63 at 5:19 PM 1-10-2009

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: VW Finally solved my DSG transmission problem mystery (cjboffoli)

Thanks for the detailed write up! I've been watching your past posts on the subject with great interest as my 2008 Eos started showing signs of this around 6000 miles. I am rapidly approaching the 12K/1 year adjustments covered under warranty and was getting nervous. My dealership was able to replicate the issue and perform a relearning of the throttle position. However, a month later and the car is back to surging in reverse under light to moderate throttle. Please continue posting any additional information including any TSBs that may result from your experience. I know that dealerships usually have to follow escalation protocols (replace the 10 dollar part before the 500 dollar part), but anything you could provide to help us in conversations with our dealerships would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aflaedge: I'm glad to post this in the hope that the solutions my dealer found will help others fix their problems faster. I have to really give my VW dealer (Carter Motors in Seattle, WA) a great deal of credit for really going the extra mile to remedy this problem. I'm sure the Mechatronics unit was an expensive fix and that was their first theory. Not really sure what the DSG clutch plates cost. But I do appreciate them dedicating a couple hours of their mechanic's time to drive out of town to sufficiently warm up the car's drivetrain.
owr84: Yes, they said it was a warped clutch plate. Singular. But then again, the service associate who handled me is not himself a mechanic. But I can find out if they had to replace both. Incidentally, the choppy/stutter was only in 1st gear and in reverse. All other gears seemed smooth. But since I only noticed the stutter at very low speeds, the stutter may have been present in other gears but imperceptible to me.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: (cjboffoli)

The word from my dealership is that mine is operating within manufacturer's specifications for transmission. It didn't happen on the way home so I guess we'll wait and see. Any idea what the "manufacturer's specifications" are? I'm sort of leaning towards thinking this is the result of a so called "smart" transmission that develops this behavior over time depending on how I drive. I just wish I knew which behavior might trigger this. I use cruise control 75% of the time. I push the car hard maybe once every two weeks. Otherwise I drive with the goal of high mpg which means a lot of coasting and soft starts. Most trips are 20 miles on the highway. Did I read somewhere that resetting or relearning the throttle position can be done without any tools? Maybe I just need to do that periodically on my own unless it starts getting worse or noisy like some of you apparently are experiencing. I dunno. I've got bigger worries right now anyway.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: (aflaedge)

Word of caution: for my dealer, they updated the software with a VW techline fix - however, I found it made the problem worse. I wanted them to flash the DSG back to stock...they said they could not. The software is not like ECU software that can just be switched between. If the computer in the DSG has a newer version of software that is being uploaded, apparently it won't let you. Just what I heard.
As for myself, the problem seems to have disappeared with the throttle position and the "adapative" logic in the DSG being reset. We'll see how long this lasts. The DSG just might not be very compatible with my driving style. It almost tries too hard to anticipate my moves.
Your problem could also be a dual mass flywheel issue. The tech thought that was my problem, until he noticed that it happened at much higher speeds and my reverse gear is fine. He said that if it happens in reverse too, this problem can be attributed to a dual mass flywheel. Maybe that'll help, maybe not. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: VW Finally solved my DSG transmission problem mystery (cjboffoli)

cjboffoli:
THANK YOU immensely for this very informative post. I discovered
the jerking movement about one month ago, and it progressively
got worse. At one point I got "stuck" in my driveway wherein my
car would lurch forward up my slightly-inclined driveway and then
roll backward, then proceed forward again, then roll back, all while
I had my foot just hovering above both the brake and gas pedals --
neither were depressed. I looked around to see if anyone in my
community was watching me. I seriously felt like I was on Candid
Camera.
Anyhow, I dropped my car off at the dealer today. I printed up your
email, and I let the head mechanic/service advisor read it after my
accompanying him on the test drive. We got in my car, and I directed
him to take the car outta Park, then remove his foot from the brake.
My car immediately "hopped" forward. He was utterly amazed. He
said he'd never seen anything like this before. I then directed him to
accelerate, and we jerkingly proceeded forward. I can explain it as a
"learning how to drive stickshift" resemblance. He said he was going to
contact VW of America. He then said he'd "flash" the system first (or
something to that effect). I've been lent an '09 Rabbit as a courtesy
car (certainly not the same, but will do). I'm looking forward to seeing
what they have to say tomorrow. I was just very happy that the car
replicated what I had been dealing with on the test drive.
I'll follow up with another message when I find out more.
P.S. - I have an '08 that I purchased in Sept. '07; 11,400 mi.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dct82me: Yes, do please keep us updated. I'm curious to know what they come up with. Your problem seems a bit more dramatic and slightly different from mine. Just FYI, the VW dealer that serviced my Eos is Carter VW-Saab in Seattle, WA. (206)782-7474 I expect your dealer can communicate with the service department there directly if they need to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am curious how you make out also dct28me. I have almost the same problem you describe, but it has gotten a little better since the only real problem I have had with the car so far. I had a problem with a fuel pressure regulator which ended up in the car stalling after about 30 seconds, and once they replaced this, it also made the overall operation of the DSG starting off and shifting smoother, so that can also be a factor in the problem. Car has been much better since they replaced that about a month ago. The DSG jerkiness was most noticable when the car was driven a while and wamed up. I have had the dealer look at it twice, but not able to duplicate the problem. I still think I probably need to bring it by after driving a while to grab a tech to see it first hand because I still don't think it is as smooth as it should be. The tech did tell me to how to reset the accelerator adaptation to see if that makes a difference. To do this, turn the key to on, but don't go as far as to crank the engine, push the pedal down for about 10 seconds, let the pedal up, turn the key back to off and then start the car. This has made a difference in smoother operation when I have tried it, but eventually the jerking/hesitation comes back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: (krispy)

I was informed that some new electronic components
were being ordered and shipped from Germany. When
I asked the service advisor for more detail, he indicated
a new valve body has been ordered and is being
shipped. I have no idea what a valve body is/does. Does
anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dct82me: That sounds to me like they're replacing the Mechatronics valve body. Seems like the vanilla approach to the DSG problem based on a TSB that was issued last year. They replaced mine and the problem continued. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that in your case that does the trick.

Modified by cjboffoli at 5:45 PM 11-19-2008

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cjboffoli »
They replaced mine at the problem continued.

If the problem continued for you, what next did you try?
I got a call from the dealer that the part was installed today.
They wanna see how the car responds when "cold," so they're
keeping it overnight, and I can go pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As per my post above, they did the Mechatronics first and then ultimately found that it was a warped clutch. So they replaced the clutch packs and it is fixed. Mostly. Still a tiny bit of surging in reverse when the car and drivetrain are hot.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I got my car back yesterday - yea!! Felt nice to have
the power again (courtesy car was a Rabbit - yawn).
So here's what is written in the R.O. (exactly as written)
as far as what was found:
"FOUND MECHATRONIC DEFECTIV AFTER GFF 3.00 REPLACE
MECHATRONIC UNIT AS PER CHRIS AT WOF HELP LINE AND
ALL THE BOLTS AND SET BASIC SETINGS OF THE DSG TRANS
AND CODE CONTROL MODUAL AND ROAD TEST FOR 65 MILES
AND WORKING TO FACTORY SPECES"
There was also mention of a "softwear" update (apparently
there was a recall).

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cjboffoli »
dct82me: That sounds to me like they're replacing the Mechatronics valve body. Seems like the vanilla approach to the DSG problem based on a TSB that was issued last year. They replaced mine and the problem continued. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that in your case that does the trick.
Modified by cjboffoli at 5:45 PM 11-19-2008

UPDATE: After getting the Mechatronics Unit replaced in October, my
car was running smoothly. Fastforward to three weeks ago -- I started
hearing a "vibrating noise" and another "rubbing" noise. The "vibrating"
noise just sounded like a, well, vibrating noise under the hood. The
"rubbing" noise, as best as I could describe to the head mechanic,
is the sound that one hears when you drift off to the side of the highway
and you hear those "grooves" that the Department of Transportation (or
whoever) has put there to wake up those that have fallen asleep at
the wheel. I had the head mechanic take a test drive with me, and he
heard them as well. I left my car on the 27th b/c my bday was the 29th
and I was not gonna be in town. I got a call last week stating that they
had contacted VW of America, and it was suggested my transmission
be replaced
. So now I'm waiting for the transmission to be
shipped and installed. I hope everything will be rectified after this
next step. My car turned 1 year old in September, and in October it
started with problems
. Wish me luck!!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.