VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a unusual dash rattle, sounds like two surfaces are vibrating against each other. The rattle only persists when it’s cold outside (about 5 celsius) and rattle free in summer. The rattle will disappear when the car has warmed up after 25-30 mins into the journey using AC.

However I have noticed, when I have ice or frost on my windscreen, and I use lukewarm water to clear up, there is no rattle at all. Regardless how cold it is outside. Which suggests it’s something to do with external.

Does anyone have any idea what this can be causing the rattle?
Thanks all

·
Banned
53,531 Posts
Hi all, I have a unusual dash rattle, sounds like two surfaces are vibrating against each other. The rattle only persists when it’s cold outside (about 5 celsius) and rattle free in summer. The rattle will disappear when the car has warmed up after 25-30 mins into the journey using AC.

However I have noticed, when I have ice or frost on my windscreen, and I use lukewarm water to clear up, there is no rattle at all. Regardless how cold it is outside. Which suggests it’s something to do with external.

Does anyone have any idea what this can be causing the rattle?
Thanks all
As you likely know, the synthetic engine sound is created by a vibrating unit attached to the base of the windshield. Therefore, there may be a vibrating sound, mostly in cold weather that is associated with increased engine RPM. I rarely hear this in my 2016 Golf R unless there is debris or snow/ice at the base of the windshield. Turning the synthetic sound down improves the situation.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
As you likely know, the synthetic engine sound is created by a vibrating unit attached to the base of the windshield. Therefore, there may be a vibrating sound, mostly in cold weather that is associated with increased engine RPM. I rarely hear this in my 2016 Golf R unless there is debris or snow/ice at the base of the windshield. Turning the synthetic sound down improves the situation.
Regular Golfs do not have the soundaktor.

The vibration could be coming from any number of places... it could be coming from the cowl cover (air plenum cover), which is a two-piece plastic cover held in by several clips on the front, and at the rear by fitting into a groove at the based of the windshield glass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.