VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got this vehicle road ready after years of working on it in my spare time on the weekends.

It was running great with plenty of power, and I put about 6 miles on it. But on the way home it just turned off while driving and
I was about a mile from my house. Now It spins over but both fuel pumps are not getting power.

You know that sound you hear when you first turn the key on, its the sound of one of the fuel pumps
priming and I think its the in tank pump that makes that sound, Well I do not hear that any more after turning
the key to the on position.

I have checked fuses, relays, connections, and everything checks ok. Engine spins over but will not start.

Any thoughts on what you think the problem could be, please let me know.

I will continue to check for the the issue when I have time,

Thanks

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to make me a jumper wire so I can do that, those pins 30 and /87 are the big ones so that will need 2 of the large spade terminals what size wire - about 8 - 10 gauge?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK So I did not have 2 of correct right size male spade connectors but instead of running out and looking for some I pulled out my spare fuse box that I have
and noticed those 2 short red wires on the back of the fuse box that plug into 2 terminals on the back of the bottom right corner,

They had female connectors on the end but I cut loops on the sides of them and filed them down into the correct size male spade connectors and that worked perfectly.

Plugged one of them into #30 and #87 and now I have both fuel pumps working

My battery was weak, so I put it on the charger, but fuel pressure gauge under was showing about 60 psi,

I won't have to play with it again till next week, but I will get back on it then.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK So I did not have 2 of correct right size male spade connectors but instead of running out and looking for some I pulled out my spare fuse box that I have
and noticed those 2 short red wires on the back of the fuse box that plug into 2 terminals on the back of the bottom right corner,

They had female connectors on the end but I cut loops on the sides of them and filed them down into the correct size male spade connectors and that worked perfectly.

Plugged one of them into #30 and #87 and now I have both fuel pumps working

My battery was weak, so I put it on the charger, but fuel pressure gauge under was showing about 60 psi,

I won't have to play with it again till next week, but I will get back on it then.
Ok so I have fuel pressure with the jumper I made for #30 and #87, (40psi not 60psi), when engine is spinning over, but it will not start,
and I still do not hear that pump priming sound that you normally hear when you turn the key to the on position,

I pulled the jumper wire out and put the relay back in and nothing changed, spins over but will not start,

so back to checking for the problem, and ideas please let me know,

Thanks

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just replaced ignition coil with one I know is good, and nothing changed just spins over and over.
And I still do not hear the that sound that the in tank pump makes when its priming,

Any ideas let me know, I will keep checking

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just replaced ignition coil with one I know is good, and nothing changed just spins over and over.
And I still do not hear the that sound that the in tank pump makes when its priming,

Any ideas let me know, I will keep checking
need_a_VR6 has my control module, it had power and ground but would not power up, I will be in good shape as soon as he is finished with it,
Can't wait to get it back

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes indeed, he is and he did fix it. Got my Megasquirt control back from Paul and installed it, and it started right up. Then went for a test drive and its making more power now than before.
Certainly put a smile on my face accelerating and shifting through all 5 gears, Thanks Paul !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts