VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever thought of VW releasing a faster, more refined R32 just before the MkIV would be discontinued? Hmm, well I came up with the car below, simply entitled R32-S. The 'S' obviously signifies a very Special R32...

I think it should have come with uprated suspension, maybe coil-over kit. Wheels borrowed from VW/Audi/SEAT parts bin and you can probably tell they sourced from an Audi RS6 and therefore being the 19inch monsters. Brakes also borrowed from an RS6 as their stopping power impressive. Other body changes very minimal but the grille is a mesh-type unit and the tail lights are clear/red. Other than that the engine might have had maybe a turbocharger bolted onto the 3.2litre engine lump.
So what you guys think?

If VW considered the above, do you think the R32-S would resemble the above and if so, do you like what you see???

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Re: VW Golf R32-S???? (badboyz_volkswagen)

I LOVE those RS6 rims. Too bad more owners chose not to get them. Anyway, if VW made an R32-S, I get the feeling that it would be more like the M3 CSL, EVO RS, or STI Spec C. I think they would strip the interior of all unnecessary weight (remove rear seats, sunroof, climatronics (standard AC), lighter front seats, lighter wheels), then uprate the power to about 270 (about what the AMD chip makes). If they could drop a couple hundred pounds, the R32 would be lighting quick. The brakes are astonishingly good as is, but some nicer looking calipers would be awesome as well. This will not happen, of course, but it is cool to think about what could be.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Those aren't the mods I'd choose if they ever brought out an even hottern R32.
First off, the bigger wheels won't help anything as they're also heavier. Plus the breaks don't need to be the huge discs from the RS6, as once again, the extra weight is not needed (nor is the extra breaking power from them... to shorten the R32's breaking distance more/better rubber is needed - not bigger clampers). The cosmetic upgrades are cool I guess... no biggy though.
If they brought out a special version of the R32 I'd hope it'd be along the lines of the Evo RS - in that they simply strip any extra sound deadening and useless crap. Take off ~200lbs or so and the R32 would be faster, stop better and get even better gas mileage!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks guys for the comments. Keep em coming as its this sorta thing which keeps us dreaming of doing something better than what is current or the norm...
M3 CSL, for sure, if stripped out should really be able to blow any other 3.2litre-engined car out of the water.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

as much as I would like to see a special a light weight version of the R32, I dont think VW will ever produce one. US customers just arent interestted in soemthing like that, at least not in big enough numbers to make them worth making. Look at the special edition Boxster Porsche is making, it is supposed to be in he tradition of the 550. All of th eextra features, besides the color are crap that makes it heavier and slower. Not what the 550s were about at all. Look at all the options most GT3s are being sold with. Everyone on here says they want a lightweight car, but when it comes down to it, they still want power windows and locks, and climate control and satelite navigation. If VW built a special edition R32 it would probably be something with extra electronics and special colors or something. believe if VW tried they would screw it up somehow.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

I dont think VW would ever consider making an R32-S for the simple reason that the R32 is not a production car and the R cators to a niche market. With that aside I would have loved to see the following if they were ever to create a Special Edition.
I would have liked to see some extra power maybe in the area of 300HP. A 3.2L Turbo VR6 would certainly make things interesting

Tag system. I only wish my R32 had a production number on it like the 20thAE. That is just the kind of thing I would appreciate and expect for the R32.
I wonder what number R32 mine is

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: VW Golf R32-S???? (aquabat911sc)

Quote, originally posted by aquabat911sc »
as much as I would like to see a special a light weight version of the R32,

Ditto.
I dont think VW will ever produce one. US customers just arent interestted in soemthing like that,

I disagree. Witness the existence of the current M3 CSL, as well as
the E39 M3 Superlight, as well as the Integra Type R, etc.
I won't claim that they will sell like hot cakes. They won't sell
well, anywhere, not just in the U.S. However, that is
not the point of that type of car.
The point of that type of car is kinda like racing: the manufacturer
hopes that the bragging rights will rub off on sales of normal,
every-day cars.
at least not in big enough numbers to make them worth making.

The "worth" of such a car won't be in how many can be sold. It will be
a consideration of the effort to produce such a car versus how much
bragging rights it will bring to the brand.
I don't know the effort involved in producing such a car. It would seem
straightforward to just throw out everything: A/C, radio + speakers,
sound deadening material, sunroof, electrical accessories like power
windows, power locks, anti-theft, etc.
However, I suspect that it's not just a simple matter of "throwing stuff
out". Removing electrical accessories, especially the anti-theft system
might mean an entire new car, electrically speaking. Removing the
sunroof may mean having to pass federal crash testing again.
Then there are non-obvious problems such as: coming up with an entire
new set of documentation (parts catalog, maintenance & repair procedures,
etc.) for a dealership's parts & service departments; training for a
dealership's service personnel; etc.
OTOH, it _may_ be as easier as throwing things out and not having
to do anything else? I dunno...
Everyone on here says they want a lightweight car, but when it comes down to it, they still want power windows and locks, and climate control and satelite navigation.

Let me just state for the record that you are not speaking for me, and
that I will be the first in line to buy such a car.
I will grant you though, that I will probably be only one of a handful or a few
hundred people who would buy such a car.
If VW built a special edition R32 it would probably be something with extra electronics and special colors or something. believe if VW tried they would screw it up somehow.

Sadly, you are quite correct, judging by the "Driver's Edition" or the
"337" or the "20th Anniversary" Golfs than came out in the past.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts

Quote, originally posted by badboyz_volkswagen »
Ever thought of VW releasing a faster, more refined R32 just before the MkIV would be discontinued? Hmm, well I came up with the car below, simply entitled R32-S. The 'S' obviously signifies a very Special R32...

I think it should have come with uprated suspension, maybe coil-over kit. Wheels borrowed from VW/Audi/SEAT parts bin and you can probably tell they sourced from an Audi RS6 and therefore being the 19inch monsters. Brakes also borrowed from an RS6 as their stopping power impressive. Other body changes very minimal but the grille is a mesh-type unit and the tail lights are clear/red. Other than that the engine might have had maybe a turbocharger bolted onto the 3.2litre engine lump.
So what you guys think?

do you just go around sticking RS6's on every new model vw (GLI "R", R32 "S")
And then add a different letter to it?

First off, they will never produce it with a coilover kit, if you've ever sat in one, seen any video of it, hell even looked at the interior, it's not an all out sports car... It's more luxury refined, they aren't about to ruin that by putting a set of coilovers on it.
as for a new Grille, and new tail lights?
What are you kidding me?

And besides, if I wanted to Turbocharge my R32, I wouldn't let the factory do it, even if they did give me a warranty, because if I had the money to buy an R32, i wouldn't care about voiding the warranty.
I'd rather stick a GT28Rs on there and call it a day.

·
Registered
699 Posts

You pose an interesting idea and one that many on this forum have probably asked themselves (I have seen several items about lightweight body parts and the number of aftermarket items for the .:R32 is growing by the second). However, I doubt that VW would contemplate such an endeavor for the MkIV R32. As others have suggested, the market is unclear and VW has other things on which it needs to focus right now.
But, assuming that the B].:R32 is successful and VW continues with the whole "R car" line with the MkV, lightweight future versions are, in my opinion, quite likely. I would not be surprized to see VW put considerable effort into this segment in the future.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: VW Golf R32-S???? (RuffDice)

Quote, originally posted by RuffDice »

do you just go around sticking RS6's on every new model vw (GLI "R", R32 "S")
And then add a different letter to it?

First off, they will never produce it with a coilover kit, if you've ever sat in one, seen any video of it, hell even looked at the interior, it's not an all out sports car... It's more luxury refined, they aren't about to ruin that by putting a set of coilovers on it.
as for a new Grille, and new tail lights?
What are you kidding me?

And besides, if I wanted to Turbocharge my R32, I wouldn't let the factory do it, even if they did give me a warranty, because if I had the money to buy an R32, i wouldn't care about voiding the warranty.

I might have just stuck the RS6 wheels onto this car but hey, thats just from the outside. You probably missed the parts of 'turbocharger' and 'bigger brake discs' etc to name a few. Furthermore, who are you to say that VW will not make such a car where the MkV is concerned? Never say never and leave it at that...
I am optimistic about VW right now as right here in South Africa where the Mk1 is still being produced a super Mk1 has recently seen the light of day. Powered by a 1.8T engine coupled with an Audi S3 6-speed gearbox (yes you read right) and enough grunt to even outrun a Mk4 132kW GTi...
Anyway, enough said, all manufacturers are currently trying to tap into the limited edition market where they make a limited run of maybe 5000 of their top models with bigger wheels, better brakes, sports seats, aluminium trimmings, etc. I therefore see VW making a lightweight of their top-notch models like the MkV R36 and if the Jetta sells well, maybe the GLi might be considered with an R36 engine too...

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: VW Golf R32-S???? (GelbM3)

Quote, originally posted by GelbM3 »
You pose an interesting idea and one that many on this forum have probably asked themselves (I have seen several items about lightweight body parts and the number of aftermarket items for the .:R32 is growing by the second). However, I doubt that VW would contemplate such an endeavor for the MkIV R32. As others have suggested, the market is unclear and VW has other things on which it needs to focus right now.
But, assuming that the B].:R32 is successful and VW continues with the whole "R car" line with the MkV, lightweight future versions are, in my opinion, quite likely. I would not be surprized to see VW put considerable effort into this segment in the future.

Cool thanks bro...

·
Registered
13,716 Posts

You probably missed the parts of 'turbocharger' and 'bigger brake discs' etc to name a few.

I read your whole idea, and all the posts in this topic... apparently you missed...
Quote, originally posted by RuffDice »

·
Registered
13,716 Posts

Furthermore, who are you to say that VW will not make such a car where the MkV is concerned? Never say never and leave it at that...

Apparently, you do not read very well... as I explained VWAG will never make the R32 with a Coilover suspension setup on it. I never once said anything about any other car, especially a mk5

I am optimistic about VW right now as right here in South Africa where the Mk1 is still being produced a super Mk1 has recently seen the light of day. Powered by a 1.8T engine coupled with an Audi S3 6-speed gearbox (yes you read right) and enough grunt to even outrun a Mk4 132kW GTi...

The only mk1 being produced in the world is the Golf Citi. Until the day VW announces they will produce a mk1 with a 1.8t and the S3's 6-Speed... I will never believe it.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: VW Golf R32-S???? (RuffDice)

Are you implying I dunno whats happening right in my own backyard? For one, everybody in South Africa who reads will know about VW Motorsport tinkering around with the idea. And yes I do know South Africa is the only place in the world where the Mk1 is still being produced, I said that right from the beginning...
Me missing the point? Not by a long shot...

And I reside IN South Africa so therefore dont tell me you know more about the Citigolf cos you wouldnt know if it were one had it drive right under your nose...

Modified by badboyz_volkswagen at 10:06 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
I think it is an interesting concept.....and people need to remember that the GTI 337 and the Golf R32 began as just that----a concept. People liked it and gave feedback, so VW listned and made the cars. If people had hated on the concpets, then they would have never been built...

That being said, can you e-mail me a high res of the last shot, of the rear? I want to make it my desktop this week...

Sean

1 - 20 of 36 Posts