VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
2022 Nori Green GX460
11,860 Posts
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (ToledoTDi)

· Banned
32,048 Posts
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (Boostin20v)

Quote, originally posted by Boostin20v »
I'm pretty sure you are limited to a Class1 hitch setup.
I've seen motor cycles, jet skis, garden tractors, small utility trailers all behind Mk4 Golf/Jetta 2.0s.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif my wife's MKIV Jetta 1.8T Tip towed our 8ft pop-up trailer. it loaded with camping gear, weighed approx 1K lbs and had a tounge weight of 50lbs. add to that the family and a packed trunk and the car was MAXED for braking.

· Banned
32,048 Posts
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (Download_Complete)

Quote, originally posted by Download_Complete »
Oh boy....

The tow hitch. Darwin's Proof of Concept.

it's JUST a post....calm down. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (ToledoTDi)

Quote, originally posted by ToledoTDi »

With a Euro hitch in Europe, yes. But it is unapproved in the US and that exceeds the US tow rating with a hefty margin, I think. Stick with the DOT, NHTSA? approved hitch and the max US tow rating. Otherwise you could be in a heap of trouble if something should happen.

Yes offcourse, just wanted to give him a hint of what to expect...! Hence, I pointed out it was from my Swedish brochure. Can't stress the importance of following US ratings enough though!

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (Boostin20v)

Thanks for the encouraging news. I actually saw an MK 4 towing a utility trailer this afternoon in Fayetteville NY......I mostly tow brush and leaves to the OCRRA site in Camillus NY

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (HenkanDDR)

Just picked up the car this evening...regrettably it didn't come with an owners manual. Thank you for your concerns and opinions! It's all very helpful!

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (muddy1)

you can probably tow alot more than 1000 lbs... who cares about its rated towing capacity... just set it up like this and you'll be fine

i am kidding though.. i wouldnt tow more than (like you all said) a small trailer

Modified by mk3_vdub at 8:29 PM 8-9-2007

· Banned
38,788 Posts
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (Download_Complete)

Quote, originally posted by Download_Complete »
Oh boy....

The tow hitch. Darwin's Proof of Concept.

Bwahahahahhahahaha

· Registered
7,203 Posts
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (muddy1)

Quote, originally posted by muddy1 »
Just picked up the car this evening...regrettably it didn't come with an owners manual. Thank you for your concerns and opinions! It's all very helpful!

It wouldn't matter if you did have it because there is no rating listed. VW of A doesn't advise towing with any Mk4 car.

· Registered
11,376 Posts
yeah...

As a noob, you will never win against TCL.

If you search and comment in a thread, you get ripped for necro-ing a thread.

If you don't search and start a new thread, you get ripped that you should have searched.

Most of the people here are princesses.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.