VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
60,748 Posts
Ah good then…
Nothing wrong with bringing back a thread….especially if it has possibly useful info
Useful to whom? The 6 people that are thinking about towing with a 17 year old econobox? Those people will go to etrailer .com, find a Class 3 Curt hitch and won't care what is factory recommended.

· Registered
8,869 Posts
I pulled my GF boat last year….it's about 700 kg I imagine

edit: for those still in the dark ages….that's about 1500lb or so
pics of your GF?:popcorn:

· Registered
60,748 Posts

· Registered
60,748 Posts

· Registered
4,089 Posts
Mk IV huh? :confused:

Well, I don't know what the torque on a Mk IV is, but I towed an 8x6 trailer with a full size 550 lb street bike on the back with an Acura RSX typs S. That car only makes like 145 ft lbs of torque max if I remember right. I'm just guessing, but if the Mk IV is a turbo, you should at least have 200ish ft lbs of torque, so I don't think it would be that bad towing a small trailer. What I notice isn't the engine pulling power, but the reduced braking :eek: ... that ends up being something to consider and you have to drive more conservatively.

· Registered
9 Posts
I hate reviving old threads but I also hate not finding the answer more! Here's my 2002 VW Golf 2.0's towing capacity, from the manual. It's a Canadian car, not sure if it varies by country. Automatic transmission is 1000lbs/454kg without trailer brakes and 1000lbs/454kg with trailer brakes. Manual transmissions are 1320lbs/600kg without trailer brakes and 1500lbs/680kg with brakes.

· Registered
10,107 Posts
I need to get a hitch for my Mk5 GTI soon, for pulling the dirtbike to trail heads. If the Mk4 can do it, the Mk5 I assume certainly can.

· Banned
33,650 Posts

· Banned
33,650 Posts
I've pulled 1500lbs of bagged mulch on a nice triton trailer. Car had zero issues with pulling or braking. Very impressive.
Yeah I towed my buddy's F150 with my iroc z 305. Doesn't men it's a good idea or sustainable.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.