VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

VW Golf towing capacity??

55K views 54 replies 38 participants last post by  LT1M21Stingray 
#1 ·
Does anyone happen to know what the towing capacity is for a stock MK4 Golf with the 2.0 liter engine?

#6 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (BattleRabbit)

I'm buying a used 2000 Golf GLS with low miles, but I haven't seen the owners manual yet. I'm trading in my PT Cruiser which tows a loaded 4x8 trailer "no problem". The PT is a pig on gas though........

Thanks for everyone's input!!

#8 ·
VW will tell you to not tow anything at all with your Golf, but a 2.0? i don't see that towing much at all.
i'd tell you that you should upgrade your suspension before you start towing, but i think your big constraint is actually gonna be the engine before the suspension.

#53 ·
#13 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (HenkanDDR)

Quote, originally posted by HenkanDDR »
According to my Swedish brochure, a Golf tows 2645 lbs with a braked trailer...! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

With a Euro hitch in Europe, yes. But it is unapproved in the US and that exceeds the US tow rating with a hefty margin, I think. Stick with the DOT, NHTSA? approved hitch and the max US tow rating. Otherwise you could be in a heap of trouble if something should happen.

#16 ·
Re: (J double R)

Quote, originally posted by J double R »
but i think your big constraint is actually gonna be the engine before the suspension.

Now really... 115hp and 126 ft-lbs of torque.
The Volvo redblock in the 200/700/900 series cars put out similar power and torque (bit more torque), and pulled a heavier car around - which were all rated for 3500lbs towing.
It will be SLOW, but it won't be anything the engine can't handle.
I wouldn't pull more then 1000lbs with a Golf tho, I think that's what the rating is for them anyways.

#17 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (PerL)

Quote, originally posted by PerL »
Everyone knows that you need at least an F-350 to tow anything more than an empty trailer!

And here they are useless for most people as they are considered as trucks and need a C1/C drivers license to operate empty Attaching mere 750kg/1 653lbs requires CE and that starts to become an cost issue. They are an investment for the professional truck drivers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_license#European_Union
Plus driving a vehicle classified as a truck can be a nuisance in many European countries. 80kph max, truck lanes, truck queues in the borders with bazillion Russian trucks before you.. a Golf makes a lot more cense..

Modified by ToledoTDi at 8:30 AM 8-9-2007

#21 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (ToledoTDi)

#22 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (Boostin20v)

Quote, originally posted by Boostin20v »
I'm pretty sure you are limited to a Class1 hitch setup.
I've seen motor cycles, jet skis, garden tractors, small utility trailers all behind Mk4 Golf/Jetta 2.0s.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif my wife's MKIV Jetta 1.8T Tip towed our 8ft pop-up trailer. it loaded with camping gear, weighed approx 1K lbs and had a tounge weight of 50lbs. add to that the family and a packed trunk and the car was MAXED for braking.

#25 ·
Re: VW Golf towing capacity?? (ToledoTDi)

Quote, originally posted by ToledoTDi »

With a Euro hitch in Europe, yes. But it is unapproved in the US and that exceeds the US tow rating with a hefty margin, I think. Stick with the DOT, NHTSA? approved hitch and the max US tow rating. Otherwise you could be in a heap of trouble if something should happen.

Yes offcourse, just wanted to give him a hint of what to expect...! Hence, I pointed out it was from my Swedish brochure. Can't stress the importance of following US ratings enough though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.