VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
761 - 780 of 810 Posts

·
Registered
46,105 Posts
Not just hard on the motor/transmission but also not being able to get up to operating temperature for half the trip must add heavily to emissions and shorten the life of emissions equipment? I take an almost daily trip to a UPS store for our mail and to make shipments for our business. It is only 1.1 miles away through one long traffic light. Not much of a warmup for an ICE vehicle.
Well, that is exceptionally short, but even with that modern cars both warm up faster and control fuel to the point that they don't wear out like older ones do. Even a 5 mile commute gets them up to full operating temperature, even if that's not quite long enough to get rid of all of the water in the oil or exhaust system.

As I implied above, one of the reasons I'd like an electric car is to be able to warm it up from a smartphone app while having my last cup of coffee. Well, that and not gassing up in winter!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I gotta say I'm intrigued by the AWD model. I'm just about the perfect customer for an EV; 14-mile round-trip commute (when we go back to the office), own my own home in an inner-ring suburb (i.e. close to most things). The list for Alfa replacements is getting wider, and while an EV SUV wasn't originally on the list, I think I owe it to myself to at least test drive one. And if I go that route, then I guess I should be looking at Teslas too.
I'd be curious to hear your takeaway on the driving dynamics of the ID4. It is practical, but has zero sporty intentions.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,564 Posts
Gotta test drive an ID4. Wonder what the lease figures might look like? There's nothing really out there in the price range we paid for the Bolt new that has comparable range. But if the lease numbers were good... Thing is, my wife loves our Bolt and doesn't want to settle on something she doesn't want as a replacement AND won't go back to gas for a daily. And the ones we really want aren't out yet.

·
Registered
48,222 Posts
Gotta test drive an ID4. Wonder what the lease figures might look like? There's nothing really out there in the price range we paid for the Bolt new that has comparable range. But if the lease numbers were good... Thing is, my wife loves our Bolt and doesn't want to settle on something she doesn't want as a replacement AND won't go back to gas for a daily. And the ones we really want aren't out yet.
My son and his wife feel the exact same way about their Bolt. No good replacement. But the house where they live has a 2 car garage and two visitor parking spaces for 5 houses and virtually no available street parking. On top of it, their next door neighbor (who shares the two visitor spaces) has TWO Bolts!

I've suggested to him to just get a used Leaf or i3 for a couple of years until some more suitable cars become available. But so far he is taking the chance that his early 2019 Bolt won't be one to catch fire. Hopefully neither of the neighbor's Bolt catch fire either because it would affect their house as the houses are very close to each other.

As for the ID4, maybe the dual motor, 295 hp version would be good. But when and at what cost?

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,564 Posts
I've suggested to him to just get a used Leaf or i3 for a couple of years until some more suitable cars become available.
The Leaf is still CHaDEMO so it's not compatible with our existing Level II charging station, and there are fewer of them around on the routes to our kid's house and her brother's house in TN. The i3 is out for the same reason the MINI is: short range and not able to easily travel like the Bolt was. Uggh. Not the time for looking at EVs (or any car, really. Prices are held quite high right now).

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,116 Posts
Checked out a friend’s ID4 last night. White with the pano roof and dark colored interior. I liked it , he REALLY likes it.

Reactions: OOOO-A3

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
The Leaf is still CHaDEMO so it's not compatible with our existing Level II charging station, and there are fewer of them around on the routes to our kid's house and her brother's house in TN. The i3 is out for the same reason the MINI is: short range and not able to easily travel like the Bolt was. Uggh. Not the time for looking at EVs (or any car, really. Prices are held quite high right now).
Leaf should have a J1772 and and ChaDeMo plug. The problem would be with Level-3, not Level-2.

·
Vendor
ID.4, 997.1
15,435 Posts
I've had my ID.4 1st edition RWD for 6 months as of yesterday, and 4400 miles. So far so good. I haven't run out of electricity. The ergonomics are still silly. It's a great comfortable cruiser but not what I would call sporty. The one thing I thought would really bother me but hasn't proved to be an issue at all, is the white steering wheel. Go figure. I'd rather have matte white surfaces than gloss black ones any day.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
'Pro' 2wd has a $379/mo @ 10000mi/yr lease promo. All models have the exact same advanced driver assistance/safety features.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
Saw my first ID4 today. Skrong last gen RAV4 vibes. Not sure how I feel about it

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
Reactions: ValveCoverGasket

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,486 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,485 Posts
Told you this is the one that matters. The minimum viable product RWD model will become a total afterthought once production is ramped up on the AWD.
I'm surprised Audi is bothering with the RWD Q4 in the US. Audi Canada is only offering the AWD version.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
Told you this is the one that matters. The minimum viable product RWD model will become a total afterthought once production is ramped up on the AWD.
This should have been the one they launched with. Looks like they dropped the RWD one from the US lineup. Better late than never I guess, but this was a stupid rollout IMO.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,791 Posts
I'm surprised Audi is bothering with the RWD Q4 in the US. Audi Canada is only offering the AWD version.
yeah 2nd that. Anyone buying an Audi is likely uninterested in anything not AWD. You used to get a FF A4 but I've never seen one for sale. Ever.

761 - 780 of 810 Posts