VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
3,915 Posts
Subsidized and forced vehicle electrification is a threat to our rural way of life, and I shouldn't be forced to subsidize EVs when I can't afford or use one myself.
Did you feel the same way about the switch away from incandescent bulbs :unsure:

·
Registered
26,295 Posts
Not out here- Got ethanol and biodiesel plants and even flavors of diesel- Farm machinery will be the last to electrify if ever so my diesel sources are pretty safe. Meanwhile, the few EV chargers out here are rarely used...
So you are saying you will break the law to run offroad diesel on road? Glad you are on record.

·
Registered
19,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Subsidized and forced vehicle electrification is a threat to our rural way of life, and I shouldn't be forced to subsidize EVs when I can't afford or use one myself.
Fossil fuels are amongst the most highly subsidized substances on the planet.
Ditto for produce and livestock farming.
I don't eat cows or drink milk, but here we are.

·
Registered
A6 3.0T, A3 etron, Volt
9,361 Posts
We should just drop subsidies for oil/fossil fuels too (oops, did you forget?), so that we can be on even footing. That way you don't have to subsidize EVs, can pay $15/gal at the pump to fuel up your choice of car, and EV peeps can just buy EVs without rebates. Fair?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
We’ll have used ICE cars for generations. Stop with the drama. If the big OEMs stop selling ICE cars in 2040, you’ll still be able to buy a reasonable one for another 20+ years. The refueling infrastructure might eventually become scarce, but if you start planning today (2021), you should be ready by the time the last gas station is shuttered in 2055.

Regarding the ID.4 and its alleged glut on dealer’s lots, I wonder if their decision to initially launch a CUV only in RWD is impacting sales? The US and Canada are largely countries that see significant snowfall. Selling a RWD only CUV seems to defeat one the purposes for buying a CUV. The Mustang Mach E launched in both RWD and AWD, and doesn’t appear to have the same sales issues as the ID.4.
When i was at my VW dealer for an oil change, I heard a couple look at a ID.4 and comment it wasn't AWD and walk away. While I am not a fan of AWD as a necessity, I think that really does matter for the folks that buy crossovers, in the same way 4WD matters to the mass of Grand Cherokee and truck owners. If it was a performance oriented CUV then the RWD makes sense, but for an appliance type crossover, it is a fatal flaw.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,578 Posts
When (if) the day comes that you actually can't buy, own or refuel an ICE car, most of the people on this forum will likely be dead... that is decades in the future.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,206 Posts
Sorry "evangelists", you're doing a great job of selling me another IC car!
Just catching up with this thread. Love the use of Trump-era quotations on something you disagree wtih. Have the same BS from my FIL right now about the "vaccine."

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,619 Posts
When (if) the day comes that you actually can't buy, own or refuel an ICE car, most of the people on this forum will likely be dead... that is decades in the future.
man i hope the generations who succeed us are better than "well how does that work for me??" and "they didn't consider my little isolated asscrack when they built that!"

hopefully my kid can adapt better to a changing world and be foresightful enough to ask the right questions and challenge himself to do better.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Fossil fuels are amongst the most highly subsidized substances on the planet.
Ditto for produce and livestock farming.
I don't eat cows or drink milk, but here we are.
Let alone the subsidies, we support multiple hostile regimes for their oil, and have literally gone to war in regions to ensure oil flowed freely. That is fine when there was no alternatives, oil is the lifeblood of commerce, but now that there is a way to wean off it and at the least reduce the auto and power use of oil (thus leave the substantial need for chemicals, plastics, etc) we are doing a good thing, period.

It always irks me how rural people will be anti EV when an EV has the potential to be charged at home, you have the potential to make your own power at home, the Tesla at least is American made an designed, and the reduction in pollution will help preserve that rural way of life. Why is something like making your own biofuels from corn to power a diesel applauded, but making your own energy with solar to power a BEV booed?

My current extreme commute does not support a BEV, but that does not dampen my enthusiasm for the day when i can get one. I see the positives in BEVs for my DD and cannot wait for that to happen, be it a Tesla or some other maker's cool BEV (please let ACE not be vaporware).

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,619 Posts
i have no idea what you do for a living, but half the people i know live in the depths of rural Québec, including a dairy farmer who drives a Chevy Bolt for his into-town runs, and I've never heard from anyone about any extreme lack of support they need to make the transition to electric vehicles.

·
Registered
19,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Let alone the subsidies, we support multiple hostile regimes for their oil, and have literally gone to war in regions to ensure oil flowed freely. That is fine when there was no alternatives, oil is the lifeblood of commerce, but now that there is a way to wean off it and at the least reduce the auto and power use of oil (thus leave the substantial need for chemicals, plastics, etc) we are doing a good thing, period.

It always irks me how rural people will be anti EV when an EV has the potential to be charged at home, you have the potential to make your own power at home, the Tesla at least is American made an designed, and the reduction in pollution will help preserve that rural way of life. Why is something like making your own biofuels from corn to power a diesel applauded, but making your own energy with solar to power a BEV booed?

My current extreme commute does not support a BEV, but that does not dampen my enthusiasm for the day when i can get one. I see the positives in BEVs for my DD and cannot wait for that to happen, be it a Tesla or some other maker's cool BEV (please let ACE not be vaporware).
You would think EVs (especially Tesla) would be widely appreciated by conservatives.
As you point out, producing your own "fuel" off the grid and not dependent on mysterious hostile foreigners should be a good thing.
Tesla is a homegrown company that builds all of its product for North America in North America, and it has created great paying US tech and blue-collar jobs, in the process.
The expansion of EV and battery manufacturing in the US has largely gone to "Red" states, with Texas, Ohio, and Tennessee amongst the lucky states.
These EV/battery jobs will be injecting new revenue in these states, where there had be none before.
I guess the oil industry lobby/PR machine has done a really good at turning rural/conservatives against an industry/manufacturers that are benefitting home grown industry and jobs.

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Yikes, there has definitely been a handful of annoying newer posters cluttering up threads lately. I've never used ignore but maybe I need to start.
It works really well.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,578 Posts
man i hope the generations who succeed us are better than "well how does that work for me??" and "they didn't consider my little isolated asscrack when they built that!"

hopefully my kid can adapt better to a changing world and be foresightful enough to ask the right questions and challenge himself to do better.

To be clear, I'm an EV supporter, I just think the people freaking out about relatively vague, long-range goals as if it will somehow affect them drastically are being drama queens. Change is happening, slower in some areas (like rural where I am) but it's coming and it's getting better and better and the day it's truly a no-ICE world is so far off that we'll all be totally ready for it - or dead - when it happens.

·
Registered
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,829 Posts
To be clear, I'm an EV supporter, I just think the people freaking out about relatively vague, long-range goals as if it will somehow affect them drastically are being drama queens. Change is happening, slower in some areas (like rural where I am) but it's coming and it's getting better and better and the day it's truly a no-ICE world is so far off that we'll all be totally ready for it - or dead - when it happens.
I just take issue with anyone who takes any extreme, "all ICE vehicles must die by 2022" or "omg EVs are going to rape my cows and make me renounce Jesus"

There's a sane world where most people live and it's not in either extreme. I do feel EVs are easy check list items for people with green agendas. Create a lot of headlines without moving the needle much, EVs are here and on the way, we need to start working on harder stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
we need to start working on harder stuff.
We are; it's just not relevant to a car forum.

There's other storage being developed as well, like gravity batteries, stuff with melted salt, pressure vessels etc. The work is happening.

Reactions: OOOO-A3

·
Registered
19,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I just take issue with anyone who takes any extreme, "all EVs must die by 2022" or "omg EVs are going to rape my cows and make me renounce Jesus"

There's a sane world where most people live and it's not in either extreme. I do feel EVs are easy check list items for people with green agendas. Create a lot of headlines without moving the needle much, EVs are here and on the way, we need to start working on harder stuff.
In Stellantis' EV Day presentations, a few weeks ago, they presented the balanced approach that you suggest.
Jeep, specifically, will offer 4xe PHEVs of its entire line-up. Those same models will also be available in 100% BEV as well.
That's an approach that should play very well in rural and urbanized areas, which both currently have valid concerns for recharging.

·
Registered
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,829 Posts
stuff with melted salt
"stuff with melted salt" you mean molten salt reactors? :ROFLMAO:

Stuff is being discussed. Happening is a different story altogether.

As for MSRs fine, whatever, as long as we get over this fear of nuclear. We could be carbon neutral today if we decided to do it 20 years ago and focus on nuclear but whatevs, people be scared of a little nuclear fall out that'll probably never happen.

·
Registered
Krautgeist AWD boostballsJBG
26,150 Posts
"stuff with melted salt" you mean molten salt reactors? :ROFLMAO:

Stuff is being discussed. Happening is a different story altogether.

As for MSRs fine, whatever, as long as we get over this fear of nuclear. We could be carbon neutral today if we decided to do it 20 years ago and focus on nuclear but whatevs, people be scared of a little nuclear fall out that'll probably never happen.
I can make graphs, here:

.:;|}]:. That'll be $399.00 into my Venmo, you have my account info. Thanks again!

121 - 140 of 347 Posts