VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 160 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
A6 3.0T, A3 etron, Volt
9,361 Posts
"stuff with melted salt" you mean molten salt reactors? :ROFLMAO:

Stuff is being discussed. Happening is a different story altogether.

As for MSRs fine, whatever, as long as we get over this fear of nuclear. We could be carbon neutral today if we decided to do it 20 years ago and focus on nuclear but whatevs, people be scared of a little nuclear fall out that'll probably never happen.
IDK if they're called MSRs or if MSRs are something else but he might be referring to those salt storage units that have sunlight reflected and focused onto them by surrounding mirrors to melt it down, then use the stored heat to I guess boil water to create steam and spin a turbine.

·
Registered
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,829 Posts
IDK if they're called MSRs or if MSRs are something else but he might be referring to those salt storage units that have sunlight reflected and focused onto them by surrounding mirrors to melt it down, then use the stored heat to I guess boil water to create steam and spin a turbine.

Ah, my second thought was salt water batteries.

·
Registered
Krautgeist AWD boostballsJBG
26,150 Posts
I don't need your overpriced graphs when I can make actual rocketships myself, thanks.

B=============D
You'll need real boostballs, those are fake ones.

·
Registered
A6 3.0T, A3 etron, Volt
9,361 Posts
Ah, my second thought was salt water batteries.
Yeah, I read an article a week or so ago about residential underground backyard flywheel energy storage systems making a comeback in some countries in Africa lately. Another cool system.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,578 Posts
Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima... a disaster every couple of decades is all it takes to keep nuclear off the table for most places. China is the only country going hard in that direction.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima... a disaster every couple of decades is all it takes to keep nuclear off the table for most places. China is the only country going hard in that direction.
Don't forget Springfield

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
We are; it's just not relevant to a car forum.
The work is happening.
Yes. It's definitely possible to care about more than one thing at a time, and different industries have their own timelines as their respective technologies advance.
For example, SAF. It's been a long time coming, but LOTS of safety and compatibility testing had to be satisfied before it could be dispensed as a drop-in replacement fuel for commercial use: Avfuel > Fuel > Sustainable Fuel

As for car-related alternative fuels, I think that biodiesel will be the key solution for heavy construction and agriculture equipment. For passenger cars, though, ICE is done. As diesel car engines advanced they became less compatible with available biodiesel, and the dieselgate scandal definitely put an abrupt end to the market for diesel passenger cars. We're just at the stage where EVs are no longer early-adopter-only, and the new VW models are aiming for the broad market. Edge cases where they aren't YET suitable will still exist for a little while, but will inevitably be addressed.

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
Subsidized and forced vehicle electrification is a threat to our rural way of life, and I shouldn't be forced to subsidize EVs when I can't afford or use one myself.
Your rural way of life is a threat to the environment and I shouldn't be forced to subsidise your self-indulgent, unsustainable lifestyle, but here we are.

·
Registered
9,526 Posts

View attachment 105976
True, Germany is getting out of the ever glow business:

Germany has set itself a dual goal with its energy transition, or Energiewende: The country wants to move from fossil fuel-based energy generation to a largely carbon-free energy sector while also phasing out nuclear energy by 2022.
Despite the attention Germany gets, it is not the only country in Europe to phase-out nuclear energy. Italy, Belgium and Switzerland have also principally decided to be or become nuclear energy-free. Others such as Denmark, Ireland, Portugal and Austria will remain nuclear free.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

View attachment 105976
Sadly true for the people who refuse to look at reality or how plants have improved in the past few decades. Here's to hoping ITER delivers commercially viable fusion power in a decade or two.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
449 Posts

View attachment 105976
It is the safest per watt hour. Per watt hour generated, more technicians fall to death off wind turbines than people killed by nuclear accidents. Same for solar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your rural way of life is a threat to the environment and I shouldn't be forced to subsidise your self-indulgent, unsustainable lifestyle, but here we are.
My carbon footprint is smaller than many EV owners- I have a highly efficient house that needs no air conditioning and little heat which is carbon neutral via biofuels. Because I have space to stockpile stuff I seldom need to drive and the grove around my property sinks carbon. Sorry, but there's more than one viable strategy to stop global warming.

·
Registered
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,829 Posts
My carbon footprint is smaller than many EV owners- I have a highly efficient house that needs no air conditioning and little heat which is carbon neutral via biofuels. Because I have space to stockpile stuff I seldom need to drive and the grove around my property sinks carbon. Sorry, but there's more than one viable strategy to stop global warming.
Ok I'm going in.

Why, are EVs threatening your rural way of life, in the United States of America, exactly? Where could you possibly live that you can't own an EV? What is this limitless carbon neutral biofuel you have that you couldn't use to say fuel your EV limitlessly, presuming you're using this limitless, green fuel to generate electricity, because of course you would, right?

I only ask because I know people who live in rural places in the US who couldn't get by with EVs and it would be exceedingly rare for you to be one of them.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
sh*t. yeah that's nice. i'd see myself in that as my DD replacement
The proportions are insanely better than any of the ID.# cars. It would be the perfect replacement for my Passat if it comes to the US, but I'll probably have to settle for an ID.6 if I want to stay VW for my first EV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok I'm going in.

Why, are EVs threatening your rural way of life, in the United States of America, exactly? Where could you possibly live that you can't own an EV? What is this limitless carbon neutral biofuel you have that you couldn't use to say fuel your EV limitlessly, presuming you're using this limitless, green fuel to generate electricity, because of course you would, right?

I only ask because I know people who live in rural places in the US who couldn't get by with EVs and it would be exceedingly rare for you to be one of them.
Because we need IC engines to travel long distances to town, grow your food, and truck it to you.

141 - 160 of 347 Posts