VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

VW ID.8 Confirmed. ID.6 Replaces Passat

12K views 346 replies 34 participants last post by  syntrix 
#1 ·
Earlier today, Herbert Diess, VAG’s Chairman of the Board of Management, used LinkedIn to share his speech during the presentation of the so-called New Auto strategy. Hidden on page 10 of the file is the confirmation that the Volkswagen brand will launch a new Atlas-sized battery-powered sports utility vehicle. Dubbed the ID.8, the vehicle will most likely be based on the MEB platform but it’s probably too early for VW to provide more details.
With the new large, likely three-row, electric vehicle, Volkswagen wants to expand its ID family of EVs. The first ID model was the ID.3 as the modern-day, zero-emission Golf equivalent, followed by the ID.4 roughly the size of today’s Tiguan. With the ID.6, Volkswagen says, it has a model that’s the equivalent to the Passat in terms of dimensions and the ID.8 should become the largest available ID vehicle.

One interesting point made during the same event was that Volkswagen sees the ID.6, which is basically an extended ID.4 with three rows of seats, as a replacement for the Passat. This makes us wonder what plans the automaker has for the production version of the ID Vizzion- that is a much more Passat-like electric model, yet it is not mentioned here, even though it seems like the logical choice.

See less See more
#186 ·
Honestly, when someone takes a hardline, "EV will never work for me" stance, folks should just say "OK" and move on. You aren't browbeating someone from EV-hate to EV-love on a nameless, faceless car forum. Some of you all just like arguing way too much. ;)

Besides, none of it matters for the next few decades at least, and even then, it's unlikely EV replaces military, farming, and industrial fuel consumption. Heck, the US military is the world’s single largest consumer of oil! That isn't changing ever, most likely. Not when we allocated Billions in our military budget for protecting that supply.

EVs will likely be the predominant non-commercial transportation power at some point 20 or more years from now, anything more than that is unlikely IMO. Unless of course some syfy level new power source is discovered.

#193 ·
#209 ·
EV evangelists, Your attempt to paint me as a knuckle dragging reactionary Trump cultist has utterly failed- Fact is, I'm a local Democratic Party official! As such, I've been fighting for our democratic governor's "Clean Cars" initiative which would adopt California Emissions Standards without testing that would increase EV availability here in Minnesota. But we realize EVs aren't for everyone so we are not promoting a mandate- We just want the local dealers to stock and service EVs for the folks that want them. Mandating EVs would be as much a political disaster as mandating a state religion- If you want to drive people away from doing anything, just mandate it.

As for the weather and distances here, I can see over a hundred wind turbines from my yard, the normal winds here make cycling an exercise in futility and drive the MPG of any vehicle down and the range of EVs too. Temperatures are as brutal as you imagine, dropping below freezing mostly from December though February with occasional warm-ups and -10 to -20C overnight dipping to -30c at times. Did I mention the drifting snow? That same wind cause multiple road closures in the winter and the locals believe AWD is a necessity, so good luck selling a RWD ID4 here. And while half the county lives in a city of 12,000 with a Hy-Vee grocery, Walmart, and Hospital WalMart ups their pricing to match Hy-Vee and the hospital doesn't have the best reputation. So if you're shopping for price (and who isn't) you drive the 130 miles to Costco in St.Cloud and for health care many of us drive the 200 miles to the Mayo Clinic.

In this unfavorable environment for EVs it's no surprise there's little support for them- Tesla dealer is 160 miles away and the local Chevy and Ford dealers are dragging their feet in offering EVs. There's one public charger in the county and I've never seen it used, same with the 2 on the way to the MSP metro. It took months for those chargers to get installed, wired, and turned on and I expect it will take as long to get them fixed until their Muni Utility owners cut their losses and pull them out. I've gone on 400-500 mile day trips to follow news stories like the Iowa Caucuses or catch auctions in the Dakotas and never seen an EV charger. And in the winter when you've got two hours of daylight left and blizzard warning starts at 6, we need to get home by dark and whiteout instead of waste an hour charging.

That's the hard realities EVs face out here, and EV cultists over selling them out here will doom EVs to total failure.

#67 ·
I never understand this argument. If you cant have a BEV for whatever reason, dont complain you cant have a BEV.

Cant charge at home, dont buy a BEV
No fast charger network in my area, dont buy a BEV
Range to short, dont buy a BEV
cant haul my 400megaton boat when i to my great mid west roadtrip where I never take a break of any form or shape. Dont buy a BEV.

What you are looking for is an ICE vehicle. Plenty to choose from.

And no, the automakers didn't forget about rural folks, same way the electric company couldn't deliver power to your house before the lines where build. Phone company couldn't give you a phone before the lines where build. No point buying a radio or a TV before the transmitting antennas are build. No point getting a washing machine before you have running water indoors.

Like **** me, are you like this for every change in technology ?

There are people in my country that lives in Finnmark and drives a e-Golf. A place where the sun just gets up and leaves for 6 months of the year. And everything, and I mean everything is at least 150 miles away.

#19 ·
I like the commercial where they mention sporty handling, then pan to a gti, then back to the id.4. Nobody would ever say an id.4 handles even close to a gti. Movie magic is powerful stuff. I wonder how the 8 and 6 will fare? Maybe Audi variants will compare to the RS lines in commercials.

#196 ·
I sincerely hope as we approach the end of the decade and see EV market share surge closer and closer to 100%, we reconsider these sale bans. People shouldn't have to have an excuse to buy an ICE any more than they should have to have an excuse to eat meat. ICE will naturally go the way of the manual transmission and have a 2-3% share of the market by then. We do not need to chase down the last 2-3% of the 15-17% of total US GHG emissions passenger cars are responsible for. The damage done to our economy, culture, and rural communities is not worth eliminating less than 0.5% of total emissions. 0.5% of total emissions is not going to be the difference between south Florida looking like an archipelago or not.

#289 ·
I am thinking of replacing my electric car with an ICE car and have some questions.

1. I have heard that ICE cars can not refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Is this several times a year? Will there be a solution for refueling at home?

2. Which parts will I need service on and how often? The car salesman mentioned a box with gears in it. What is this and will I receive a warning with an indicator when I need to change gear?

3. Can I accelerate and brake with one pedal as I do today with my electric car?

4. Do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill? I assume so, but need to ask to be sure.

5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in ICE cars?

6. We currently pay about 1.2c per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that gasoline can cost up to 10 times as much so I reckon we will lose some money in the beginning. We drive about 20,000 miles a year. Let's hope more people will start using gas so prices go down.

7. Is it true that gasoline is flammable? Should I empty the tank and store the gas somewhere else while the car is in the garage?

8. Is there an automatic system to prevent gasoline from catching fire or exploding in an accident? What does this cost?

9. I understand that the main ingredient in gasoline is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution to these problems?

10.I have heard that cars with internal combustion based engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens?? Is that true??

I may have more questions later, but these are the most important ones to me at the moment. Thank you in advance for your reply.

#290 ·
I am thinking of replacing my electric car with an ICE car and have some questions.

1. I have heard that ICE cars can not refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Is this several times a year? Will there be a solution for refueling at home?

2. Which parts will I need service on and how often? The car salesman mentioned a box with gears in it. What is this and will I receive a warning with an indicator when I need to change gear?

3. Can I accelerate and brake with one pedal as I do today with my electric car?

4. Do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill? I assume so, but need to ask to be sure.

5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in ICE cars?

6. We currently pay about 1.2c per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 10 times as much so I reckon we will lose some money in the beginning. We drive about 20,000 miles a year. Let's hope more people will start using gas so prices go down.

7. Is it true that gasoline is flammable? Should I empty the tank and store the gas somewhere else while the car is in the garage?

8. Is there an automatic system to prevent gasoline from catching fire or exploding in an accident? What does this cost?

9. I understand that the main ingredient in gasoline is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution to these problems?

10.I have heard that cars with internal combustion based engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens?? Is that true??

I may have more questions later, but these are the most important ones to me at the moment. Thank you in advance for your reply.
I saw this on reddit and thought it could have been better with the 20k votes it got.

#338 ·
Sorry, but it's plain to see here that many TCL regulars are "petroleum enthusiasts" as opposed to "car enthusiasts."

/s

#14 ·
"That's the problem" (as they say), we've actually honestly researched electric cars and found they won't work well for us. Back when GM was practically rebating Bolts down to half price I did the numbers and figured out they'd have to just about give me an electric car for it to save me money over an IC car. So if a $20k Bolt can't save me an money over a $20k IC car, how will a $40k ID4 save me any money?

#48 ·
A lot of the electric car cultists here need to do some honest research, you're baseless claims are only hurting your cause. I don't watch Fox much, if the TV here is on it's tuned to PBS mostly. I'd love to be able to buy an electric car and cruise the plains, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon if ever. Wouldn't accomplish anything anyway, as the grid mix out here makes an ID4 no greener than a TDI on B20. An electric car out here would be an ultimate "early adopter" bad trip, and a lot worse then when my '79 Golf diesel gelled up the first weekend I had it. Normal trips like my annual winter pilgrimage to Florida would take days longer, and a 400 mile day trip to Fargo for the Big Iron Farm Show would become a 600 mile plus charge time overnighter. Then there's servicing an electric car- Tesla service calls here start at $500, VW is 70 miles away, and Chevy and Ford dealers that service electrics are 50 miles away.

As long as I can have IC cars that's not my problem, but looks like the latest generation EQB cars will be the last, same with Ford, GM, and others whose last IC cars are now in or headed to production. By 2030 they'll be long in the teeth and while VW may build MQBs somewhere into the 2030s, quality and availability will suffer. I doubt Minnesota will ban ICs but by 2040 the pickings will be slim and rural folks who can neither use or afford EVs will be screwed. But we're a resilient lot, and we'll see deleted diesels aplenty smoking out the EVs that wander out here.

#68 ·
A lot of the electric car cultists here need to do some honest research, you're baseless claims are only hurting your cause. I don't watch Fox much, if the TV here is on it's tuned to PBS mostly. I'd love to be able to buy an electric car and cruise the plains, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon if ever. Wouldn't accomplish anything anyway, as the grid mix out here makes an ID4 no greener than a TDI on B20. An electric car out here would be an ultimate "early adopter" bad trip, and a lot worse then when my '79 Golf diesel gelled up the first weekend I had it. Normal trips like my annual winter pilgrimage to Florida would take days longer, and a 400 mile day trip to Fargo for the Big Iron Farm Show would become a 600 mile plus charge time overnighter. Then there's servicing an electric car- Tesla service calls here start at $500, VW is 70 miles away, and Chevy and Ford dealers that service electrics are 50 miles away.

As long as I can have IC cars that's not my problem, but looks like the latest generation EQB cars will be the last, same with Ford, GM, and others whose last IC cars are now in or headed to production. By 2030 they'll be long in the teeth and while VW may build MQBs somewhere into the 2030s, quality and availability will suffer. I doubt Minnesota will ban ICs but by 2040 the pickings will be slim and rural folks who can neither use or afford EVs will be screwed.
so you don't think the engineers @ the design rooms of automakers, chemists @ battery labs, engineers & planners @ cities & municipalities will innovate, develop better batteries & build better charging infrastructure? you think everything will just stay stagnant and "well, just drive an old TDI on B20; it's the same thing environmentally"? you don't think range will increase, change times will decrease, prices to drop over time? it's already an attractive proposition for many (dare I say most) today; give it 10-15 years and countries 'banning' ICE sales incentives.

But we're a resilient lot, and we'll see deleted diesels aplenty smoking out the EVs that wander out here.
interesting how environment is at the forefront of so many arguments against EVs. resilient certainly isn't the word I'd use in this context.

#62 ·
Commercial vehicles are sort of a necessary evil for most automakers, and as long as VW had a powertrain already it made sense to wrap it in a van, etc.. VWs had sporting potential before the GTIs- Porsches started out as hopped up Beatles so it wasn't hard to DIY a Beatle into a performance car. I drove one of the first Golfs in the U.S. back in 1975 and while the engine was anemic the OHC design had plenty of potential and the chassis was quite capable- If VW hadn't developed the GTI the tuners would have done it for them. And while nowadays the VW SUVs continue to disappoint and especially the RWD ID4 SUV(?), even the most modest 1.4TSI or TDI Golf, Jetta, or Passat benefits from the majority of its bits which are shared with the GTI even before the hopping up starts

#194 · (Edited)
I think this highlights the importance of setting a 'distance of electric-only drive' goal as opposed to a 'everything must not use a petroleum-based combustible' goal. If by 2035 (Canada's goal) we say "All passenger vehicles sold must have a minimum all-electric range (standardized on a particular cycle, warranted over use) of 50 km, then it really opens up options to people who are very sensitive to not being able to reach Wal Mart from their definitely-rural definitely-a-farm house cabin shop trailer off the grid away from any hint of civilization.

I do believe our future for personal transportation is the battery electric vehicle, however that battery is produced in the future, but the goal right now is to reduce green house gasses, and if we look at Canada's 730 megatons eq. of CO2 for 2019, passenger cars accounted for 34 mT of CO2, & light trucks for 55 mT of CO2. While those aren't negligible amounts and NEED to be lowered asap, bringing them down to zero is a much harder task than to bring them down 80%. If we give all passenger vehicles and light trucks a minimum electric range, even one of 50 kms, we'll slice those figures down 80% (at least!) because most people don't even do that per day.

It'll keep a small demand for gas @ the pump, our gas engines will cover the rest of the distance and it literally could remain status quo until we tackle some of the bigger fish (our oil & gas alone is almost 200 mT/year) :

It could also potentially keep our battery sized on the smaller side while we mature our battery recycling facilities, which are very primitive at the moment and are a big piece of the EV puzzle.

no one here is anti-ev except you and the farmer who doesn't farm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.