VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VW Individual Atelier at the Glass Factory in Dresden

There has been some discussion and inquiry on the forum this week from folks who would like to order a Phaeton built to their personal specifications. Here are a few photos of the atelier (design studio) at the Transparent Factory in Dresden. If a Phaeton purchaser makes a trip to Dresden to visit the atelier, this is a bit of what they will see.
A Customer Service manager will be assigned to the purchaser, to offer assistance and recommendations concerning custom exterior colour, interior colour, and optional equipment choices. Once the final decisions are made, the information is then faxed back to the North American 'home dealer', and the order is placed by that dealer.
Michael
VW Individual Atelier

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Re: VW Individual Atelier at the Glass Factory in Dresden (PanEuropean)

Very Classy
my own opinion this is as good as Bentley perhaps better.
Thanks for the pictures Michael

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Re: VW Individual Atelier at the Glass Factory in Dresden (phaeton)

Fred,
Sounds like we all need to pitch in and give you tickets to Dresden. Your personalized Phaeton is right there waiting for your choosing. Michael, thanks for the great photos as that factory is truly awesome. I would like to go this summer if possible. Email me when and if you go once the weather breaks.
David

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re: VW Individual Atelier at the Glass Factory in Dresden (dcowan699)

Hi David:
OK, will do. Right now I am still hoping to get back to Geneva before the car show ends on March 14th. There is a new version of a Phaeton with a different badge on it being presented there. :D
Michael

·
Registered
5,636 Posts

We have a customer right now at the dealer looking for the individual options. Your info is much appreciated Micheal. Thanks for the brochures too! Great to look at too bad I can't reas German.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: VW Individual Atelier at the Glass Factory in Dresden (GTI2lo)

Quote, originally posted by GTI2lo »
Great to look at, too bad I can't read German.

I can, so if you are unsure of anything or need a translation, just phone me. James Setzer has my phone number.
Michael

·
Registered
5,636 Posts

Got anything on the Touareg? My Dad's got one and I love that dark greyish wood trim!!
That would really interest me!

·
Registered
438 Posts

Pray tell us more please!
What have you heard about the new badge? That should be really interesting. I could not find any details on the site: http://www.salon-auto.ch/en/
Oh, there will be a VW Indiv. W12 Toureg!

Ed.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: VW Individual Atelier at the Glass Factory in Dresden (viscount)

Quote, originally posted by viscount »
What have you heard about the new badge?

Well, it's basically just a 4 door W12 Phaeton, except it has a slightly different skin on the outside of it, and a different nameplate on each end. But other than that, there's nothing much different about it. Here's a link to an existing thread, with all sorts of pictures, ooohs and ahhhs: 2005 Bentley 4 Door Sedan - Photos, Discussion

·
Registered
42 Posts
VW Individual

I was told yesterday that VW Individual items can not be ordered on any cars delivered to the US. I checked with the 800 Phaeton number and they confirmed this. I was under the impression that we could order Individual options - except the ones that are not legal (e.g. dual xenon headlamps)...

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: VW Individual (kmartin)

That is news to me. I have always been under the same impression as you - in fact, as I have mentioned earlier, I very nearly bought an 'individual' spec Phaeton. I wonder if this is a policy change?
I will try to make some inquiries.
Michael

·
Registered
42 Posts
Michael,
I called VW of American again and they told me that we can not get any of the Individual stuff in America. I am about to order a build to order - since I can't get the 17" wheels swapped for the 18s for the unit they have coming in...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Re: (kmartin)

well you probably can by going to europe and importing them back, but that might be too time consuming. I think VW individual needs to be here in the US, if we are gonna play with the big boys, we need to have the same programs (euro deliv, individual program) so we can stand out and really allow these cars to be an extension of someones imagination, if I ever could afford one of these cars, I would like the ability to have some things put to my taste, or more options. but its vw and its what we have to deal with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have another call into the Phaeton number. I would really like one or two of the Individual options. I don't see what the big deal is - not like the fridge is going to be illegal here in the us...
Waiting on them now. I have to put my order in today or something....I am being told by the dealer that they have to do it today for allocation....

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I am really, really saddened by the way the North American importer (VW in Auburn Hills) is handling the whole issue of custom orders and selection of options from the VW Individual prospectus.
When VW of NA first introduced the Phaeton in the fall of 2003, they held a series of dealer training and orientation sessions around the country to explain how they felt the Phaeton should be marketed. Some of the Phaeton sales professionals who participate here on the forum might remember it, although the information presented was not disseminated to the buying public.
I'm going to quote some of VW of North America's own written words about Phaeton marketing, from the little brochures that were given out to the Phaeton dealers at those product launch presentations:
"Bespoke Purchase Process
- Choosing traditional palette of equipment options
- Configuring with a range of special order equipment
- Color & Trim choices: from classic to couture
Custom orders: allow 9 weeks for delivery
Can you spot-deliver* a Phaeton? Please don't..."

(*spot-deliver is presumed by me to mean sell one off the lot)
All the above are exact, direct quotes from VW's philosophy statement to the dealers. Why are they not facilitating what appears to be a well thought out way of selling Phaetons? For goodness sake, these cars are not Golf CL's.
Michael

Modified by PanEuropean at 6:49 PM 3-24-2005

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote, originally posted by kmartin »
I have to put my order in today or something....I am being told by the dealer that they have to do it today for allocation....

Uh, I hate to say this, but that doesn't sound too credible to me. I suggest you resist any pressure to buy the car in a hurry.
Michael

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote, originally posted by kmartin »
...not like the fridge is going to be illegal here in the USA...

Just for the record - AFIK, the fridge is only available on the 4 seat Phaetons. It is not available on the 5 seat ones.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Re: (PanEuropean)

Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »

Uh, I hate to say this, but that doesn't sound too credible to me. I suggest you resist any pressure to buy the car in a hurry.
Michael

There are plenty of Phaeton's around or being built.
Dealers typically place orders for cars at certain times. Giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt what he was probably indicating is that he was placing his allocation order with the district sale manager and wanted to know if you wanted one of the Phaeton slots. The dealer will have another allocation each month because that is the way manufactures and dealers determine how many cars to build and how many are selling. Also, this is typically how the district sales manger earns part of his salary. Key: (The nicer your owner or sales manager is to the district sales manager the better chance you have of getting that special car.)
I'm sure vwguild could add more up to date info then I have since he is currently in the business. But, the way cars are typically imported is through an importer and then the dealers get allocated cars from what the importer has agreed to bring in from the factory.
If there is a special order then one of the allocated slots is taken up by the special order. That is why dealers sometimes do not want to special order a car that is too different than the norm because they might get stuck with it and they loose a slot for a model that will sell faster. It's all about the floor plan cost and inventory control.
Furthermore, a dealer can reduce their cost by selling a certain number of cars. Lets say for every 10 cars the dealer sells he gets an extra $200 back from VW as an incentive on each of those cars. Therefore, if the dealer sells you the car for $200 over invoice and sells 10 cars he gets an extra $200 back from VW which gives him a profit of $400 per car. This is one way that VW gets rid of the old style models such as the Jetta, etc. Also, I believe, VW has a 2% kickback on MSRP once the dealer hits certain numbers. (This is the way most Auto Manufacture's operate. I'm only using VW because were in the Phaeton forum)
Sometimes that money is passed along to the consumer in the form of reduced lease payments or added option with no charge or the dealer may keep it.
The dealer is an independent business man or women and therefore, needs to make a profit in order to stay in business.
Hope this is helpful.

Modified by rmg2 at 5:41 AM 3-25-2005

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am all for the dealership making a profit. My point is that I don't want to be told fairy tales (e.g. how the 18" wheels would not fit on a car that came from the factory with 17" wheels).
At this point, I was more than willing to wait the 14 weeks and I was doing the 4 seater - wanted the fridge for my fathers meds - but I needed to make a decision by end of business yesterday. After talking to the VW people directly - I realized that if I was going to be pushed to buy a car (which I really want - don't really need today) I would rather push back and wait until the 06.
I felt like they had a car with 99.9% of what I wanted (every option except the 18" wheels) but since it was not policy to swap them - I was being made to wait 14 weeks. On top of that, I would be ordering a "special" order which was 99.9% of what was already on the way to the port. This is not right.
I have just booked a trip to Europe for May 9th though June 10th. I spoke with VW last night and plan on making the trip to the factory the last few days of my trip. I am waiting for a call with the specifics - so I can figure out how to get from Frankfurt to Dresden - not sure if it makes sense to drive it or fly over. (Any suggestions - welcome).
My plan at that point is to order the 2006 at that time and arrange for them to work with my dealer to make it happen. The only thing that concerns me is the pricing - I don't want to pay more than the current lease.
We will see where this goes. In any case, I hear what you are saying about giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt - and I have been doing that. Of course that is before I was told that the difference between the 17" and 18" was done for gas milage ;-)
The dealer does not know anything about the car - and this is the 3rd dealer that I have gone to. VW needs to work on the dealer channel. A person buying an 80+ car does not want to deal with the pressure close - which is what was happening yesterday. A person buying an 80+ car wants to be treated with respect and not be told fairy tails.
Just my 2 cents worth. One more thing, I think that they are making more than 200 per car - and they are not selling the car at invoice. The car is selling below sticker - but I think that it is selling above invoice.
This is the same dealer that has the 450K mercedes benz with the gullwing doors on the showroom floor - talk about floor planning and special orders.
I have already been approved by VW credit for the deal - I would have taken the one on the way - provided they swapped the wheels at no charge. Now I will be waiting - makes no sense to me - but I think that I would be happier with the 06.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts