VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an official announcement from my VW parts rep.
"Subject: iPod Adapter Date: September 7th, 2005
A further step in the continued cooperation between Apple Computer Inc., and the Volkswagen Brand is to be announced today at a press conference in San Francisco. The latest news is the development of a new Apple iPod Adapter. Specially developed to work with Volkswagen radio's, it is now easier than ever to bring your digital music collection with you in your Volkswagen vehicle with this iPod adapter kit. The kit mounts to the back of the vehicle radio, and allows you to safely store your iPod in the glove-box away from prying eyes, while controlling your music and iPod functions through your Volkswagen radio controls. The iPod Adapter also allows you to conveniently charge your iPod.
This adapter will be available for retail sale as of mid-November 2005.
INTRODUCTORY PRICE: USD: $148 CAN: $193
Part number: 1K0-051-444
Fitments:
New Beetle 99> (Except models with Satellite Radio)
Jetta/GLI/R32 1999.5>
Golf/GTI 1999.5>
Passat 99>
Touareg 2004>"

Those prices are list prices. So if you want it go to your local dealer and preorder. Just thought everyone would want to know.

· Registered
4,790 Posts
in my opinion, the radio control functionality on my pkg. 2 is only sub-par. it barely handles CD playlists with minimal functionality. They could have thought it out better, imo.
I hope, while they offer this feature, they really put good functionality into using the radio controls.
This will make me want to finally buy an Ipod.

EDIT: btw apple will need to borrow someone elses controls to use its files because microsoft has its file navigation technology!

Modified by undeniable at 8:04 AM 9-7-2005

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Re: (needabeer)

Quote, originally posted by needabeer »
I don't have any specifics on it yet but I am thinking it is going to plug into the same place a changer would.

Yep, just like the ICELink or Enfig's adapters.

· Registered
4,048 Posts
Re: (FUZE)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I saw the announcement today when I logged into my Mac, it was a news item and it linked me to VW as coming soon. Not many details though, that's awesome that it works on MKIVs though since I don't have a MKV yet...

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (wowzer)

Quote, originally posted by wowzer »
can someone post the link to this?
I hope there is a way to mount the iPod on the dash as I really like to have the iPod visible when I'm driving.

Not sure where there is any info aside from VW's internal site. That is where I got this from, but I posted all of it that I could. If someone else has some other info I would also like to know to see if and how many I am going to carry in stock.

· Registered
7,462 Posts

can someone post the link to this?
I hope there is a way to mount the iPod on the dash as I really like to have the iPod visible when I'm driving.

It gets mounted in the glove box and you control it with the stock head unit, like BMW's system.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (jddaigle)

Quote, originally posted by jddaigle »
It gets mounted in the glove box and you control it with the stock head unit, like BMW's system.

Thanks but it says that in the original post that I put up.

· Registered
2,870 Posts

As it terminates in a cable to the iPod, whether it is routed to the glove box or the dash face is likely up to you. You would just need to provide a mount for it.
If your iPod is mounted to the dash, couldn't you just use the iPod itself rather than reaching 8 inches lower to use the radio to control it? There are existing solutions to just patch in a RCA input for any player if you want the car stereo to be dumb.

· Registered
2,501 Posts
Re: (JohnnyQuest)

Quote, originally posted by JohnnyQuest »
I secretly hope it won't work with my iPod shuffle. Then I'll have an excuse to get the harness installed and buy one of these:

JQ

jeez how many variations of the ipod are they going to make

· Registered
467 Posts
Re: (jddaigle)

Quote, originally posted by jddaigle »

Right.... but I still hope there is a way to mount the iPod on the dash.. .now with the iPod Nano, this will be a sweet mod and an easy one at that.
That black Nano will look nice mounted right near the radio...

· Registered
467 Posts
Re: (A3VWJetta2.0)

Quote, originally posted by A3VWJetta2.0 »

jeez how many variations of the ipod are they going to make

This replaces the iPod mini. Uses flash instead of hard drive.
This also covers all price points for apple all the way from 512k iPod Shuffle to 60Gig iPod.

· Registered
7,462 Posts

Quote, originally posted by needabeer »
Thanks but it says that in the original post that I put up.

Well, c'mon then, it's not like this has never been done before in the past 4 years:

MkIV Version:

Buy Here.

· Registered
2,501 Posts

This replaces the iPod mini. Uses flash instead of hard drive.
This also covers all price points for apple all the way from 512k iPod Shuffle to 60Gig iPod.

ok, that makes more sense now

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.