VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought this VW Bug last month. It was advertised as 34,500 miles when I bought it. I noticed at the (non-VW) dealer where I bought it, that the passenger door access latches liked to stick, making it hard to put the seat back to rights after accessing the rear seat. Figured no biggie, I'll just get it into the dealer and get it fixed...

SO, like a dummy, I buy the car and don't notice that the actual mileage is 35,870. Seems they put some miles on it since listing it, and didn't bother to mention it. I only catch it once I get the car home and realize my mileage is 35995 or so, and the dealer is more than 5 miles away... I drive into the dealer, and the service manager can't make an exception, but wants me to call VW Customer Care. Seems they can make it happen, and he's willing to advocate for me.

Long story short, VW Customer Care told me to take a hike, and it was my own fault for not buying from a VW dealer. Spoke with two supervisors, and neither was willing to pick up the phone and speak to my service manager. What company won't honor a warranty that expired 10 miles before?

My car is a 2015 with 38k miles on it. So far, the transmission is already failing, the seats are falling apart, the ECU has gone nuts and had to be reset twice, and the whole car creaks like a fishing boat. Where is this German engineering I've heard about? My last car was a Hyundai, and the build quality was head and shoulders above this car. Really having second thoughts about this purchase, and with VW in general.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So, I bought this VW Bug last month. It was advertised as 34,500 miles when I bought it. I noticed at the (non-VW) dealer where I bought it, that the passenger door access latches liked to stick, making it hard to put the seat back to rights after accessing the rear seat. Figured no biggie, I'll just get it into the dealer and get it fixed...

SO, like a dummy, I buy the car and don't notice that the actual mileage is 35,870. Seems they put some miles on it since listing it, and didn't bother to mention it. I only catch it once I get the car home and realize my mileage is 35995 or so, and the dealer is more than 5 miles away... I drive into the dealer, and the service manager can't make an exception, but wants me to call VW Customer Care. Seems they can make it happen, and he's willing to advocate for me.

Long story short, VW Customer Care told me to take a hike, and it was my own fault for not buying from a VW dealer. Spoke with two supervisors, and neither was willing to pick up the phone and speak to my service manager. What company won't honor a warranty that expired 10 miles before?

My car is a 2015 with 38k miles on it. So far, the transmission is already failing, the seats are falling apart, the ECU has gone nuts and had to be reset twice, and the whole car creaks like a fishing boat. Where is this German engineering I've heard about? My last car was a Hyundai, and the build quality was head and shoulders above this car. Really having second thoughts about this purchase, and with VW in general.
All manufacturers will have good and bad cars. I am sorry is sounds you bought some one else's former problem car and that it was not better taken care of. It sucks but any company that is out of warranty can chose not to do anything for you when it expires. I will say that I would hope some one would have bent the rule but to be honest you should have been more observant and careful. Any used car is a gamble no mater the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All manufacturers will have good and bad cars. I am sorry is sounds you bought some one else's former problem car and that it was not better taken care of. It sucks but any company that is out of warranty can chose not to do anything for you when it expires. I will say that I would hope some one would have bent the rule but to be honest you should have been more observant and careful. Any used car is a gamble no mater the brand.
Oh, I admit the core fault is mine, and the seat problem isn't the end of the world. It's so small, actually, that I just see this as part of a much larger trend. VW has been getting hit with recall after recall lately: Diesel-gate, the airbag recall, the brake recall, fuel leak recall, etc... The whole list on Edmund's is pretty staggering. It all points to a general lack of ethics and inattention to quality. I mean, how much money do you have to be bleeding every day to deny a warranty claim for a first time buyer? I've had MUCH better warranty service from Hyundai, who are considered a value brand.

As far as my used beater goes, a used seat from a wreck is ~$200. Just need to find one in decent shape. As for the failing transmission, I still have the drive-train warranty. It's probably just the valve body, but with quality control this crappy and the mother-ship quick to cry "not it!", I'm not taking chances. I'll push to have them replace the transmission completely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh, I admit the core fault is mine, and the seat problem isn't the end of the world. It's so small, actually, that I just see this as part of a much larger trend. VW has been getting hit with recall after recall lately: Diesel-gate, the airbag recall, the brake recall, fuel leak recall, etc... The whole list on Edmund's is pretty staggering. It all points to a general lack of ethics and inattention to quality. I mean, how much money do you have to be bleeding every day to deny a warranty claim for a first time buyer? I've had MUCH better warranty service from Hyundai, who are considered a value brand.

As far as my used beater goes, a used seat from a wreck is ~$200. Just need to find one in decent shape. As for the failing transmission, I still have the drive-train warranty. It's probably just the valve body, but with quality control this crappy and the mother-ship quick to cry "not it!", I'm not taking chances. I'll push to have them replace the transmission completely.
I am not trying to argue here just point out that no company is without issues. My Fusion I sold I replaced my but with. Had transmission issues and recall, gas tank recall for cracking, air bag recall, steering recall and some other issues. My gma terrain has bad rings, class action lawsuit for mpg, has had wheel bearing go bad at 3k miles, 2 timing tensioners go bad and it's not even to 70k yet ! All manufacturers have there problems. Vw is no different. I can tell you that when I was out of ware but on the gmc even by 50 miles they didn't care either that's how it is written and what is legal sucks I agree but it's what was in legal terms when it was sold.

As for your transmission issues I wish the best for you but with an apr tune that nullifies your power train warranty. They will point to the fact it has x more hp than it should have had and it caused mechanical issues. The only way this is not going to happen is if it is found to be a clear as day issue that is not related to your modification to the car. Also sucks but it's part of tuning and modifying.

Again I am not trying to be a internet troll here I would be really mad if I was in your situation too. Especially bc it took me almost a year to find my bug that I finally went with.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not trying to argue here just point out that no company is without issues. My Fusion I sold I replaced my but with. Had transmission issues and recall, gas tank recall for cracking, air bag recall, steering recall and some other issues. My gma terrain has bad rings, class action lawsuit for mpg, has had wheel bearing go bad at 3k miles, 2 timing tensioners go bad and it's not even to 70k yet ! All manufacturers have there problems. Vw is no different. I can tell you that when I was out of ware but on the gmc even by 50 miles they didn't care either that's how it is written and what is legal sucks I agree but it's what was in legal terms when it was sold.

As for your transmission issues I wish the best for you but with an apr tune that nullifies your power train warranty. They will point to the fact it has x more hp than it should have had and it caused mechanical issues. The only way this is not going to happen is if it is found to be a clear as day issue that is not related to your modification to the car. Also sucks but it's part of tuning and modifying.

Again I am not trying to be a internet troll here I would be really mad if I was in your situation too. Especially bc it took me almost a year to find my bug that I finally went with.
Not at all. My original post was one part rant, and two parts discussion. I'm still new to the platform, so maybe I have just had bad luck. Maybe VW doesn't really care, or maybe I'm completely off base. Either way, it's good to discuss it.

Sorry to hear about the Fusion. I took a look at those when they came out with the redesign, and almost bought one. I remember watching the litany of recalls with horror. I think my favorite was where the power window motor would set fire to the drivers door while the car was in motion. Can you imagine driving down the highway, and your door bursts into flame? Stuff of nightmares, right there.

The Beetle is my thirteenth car, and first VW. I've driven a bunch of Volvos, a few Infiniti, and a couple of Hyundai, and have had nothing but excellent support from the dealers all the way up to their HQs. No huge issues with recalls. Just quality cars, and overall excellent service, consistently going way above and beyond. I guess I just assumed that VW would be in the same boat, considering the price they charge for their cars. I kinda wonder if I'd had an Audi, and the same problem, if they'd have had a different answer. I'm guessing so.

Oh, and when I do decide to take it in for the transmission issues, it won't be tuned. I'll be restoring to stock well before any dealer visits that involve checking the computer. That said, one of the local dealers is also an APR authorized re-seller, and their service manager assured me that there would be no warranty issues with the tune at their shop. So that's something at least. The local service managers have all been pretty great.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Where to begin... I'm just going to restate what you have said to make sure we are understanding you:

You have a tuned car with issues that you bought from a non-VW dealer, and want VW to fix issues that the dealer you bought the car from won't take care of for you. And you have previously dealt with other cars such as Hyundai, Volvo, and/or Infiniti to "HQ" levels. But you say those were not due to huge issues with recalls and they were all excellent quality and service and consistently going way above and beyond. Why would you have ever dealt with "HQ" and gone beyond a service writer and their dealer unless something went drastically wrong with a car and/or the service? Anyway, it just seems you are being excessively harsh on VW when it's really the place you purchased from that should be held to the fire.

You also speculated that had this Beetle been an Audi, you would have received different treatment. And you also feel that VW is a higher level "due to the price that they charge for their cars". But you bought this second hand vehicle from a non-VW dealer that isn't offering you any type of customer service for the issues you are experiencing. One could suggest that had you purchased a certified VW with a basic or extended warranty, it may have been more expensive than the cheaper vehicle you purchased, but would likely be causing you fewer issues. Or at the very least the issues would be completely covered. But based on your prior experiences of taking things to a "HQ" level, you have dealt with issues that a dealer or service writer are initially refusing to address. Of course, this is just speculation on my part, and I'm playing "Monday Morning Quarterback", but it's what comes across based on your descriptions. We can't change the past, but you should perhaps consider new or certified or extended warranties for future purchases if you are sometimes running into issues with vehicles that you purchase.

I would recommend looking through your paperwork where the dealer you purchased from filled out the odometer statement. Also check to see if that dealer provides any sort of basic warranty on their vehicles that they have listed. Most dealers that are reputable do provide a basic warranty. If there is a variance on that and the other paperwork, you should be raising hell about that, since it dramatically impacts your manufacturer warranty and may even constitute fraud on their part. I wish you all the best in getting the issues sorted out, as it is definitely frustrating when you buy a "new to you" vehicle and have to deal with unexpected issues so soon after a purchase.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify, by "HQ", I'm referring to the corporate sponsored customer care for each company. Was just easier to type "HQ" on my phone. :)

I had one issue with an Infiniti where the previous owner had somehow gotten iPhone ear buds tangled in the rear seat release mechanism. Even though it wasn't a manufacturer defect, they reached out to Infiniti customer care, who approved the repair. Was a small thing to Infiniti, but meant a lot to me. Volvo basically just covered everything on the car but the rubber on the wheels. Unfortunately that car was cursed, and was crashed into four times while parked. Poor car...

Anyway, you get the idea. VW was the first customer care department where they talked to me like I was trying to get away with something, when the VW service writer WANTS to fix the seat under warranty. He just can't make the exception with out HQs okay. So it's also not like I'm going over his head. He asked me to call twice now. Just seems like VW corporate and the dealer service are working from different play books.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You purchased a used car from a non-VW dealer. The risk you took was all yours and has nothing to do with VW, especially since the warranty has expired. VW can not verify or guarantee the condition, maintenance, etc. from a used vehicle. I too have purchased a used VW and recognize that for the most part, the risk is all mine. I did, however, purchase from a reputable used car dealer, with a fairly good customer rating (CarMax). And took it to VW for a complete inspection right after the purchase, while still within the initial grace period where I could still return for a full refund. There are many unscrupulous used car dealers out there, who could care less once the car leaves there facility.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So, the general consensus is that if I have a VW part failure happen at 35999 miles, and roll into the dealer at 36001 miles, not only should I expect to be told to take a hike, I should expect Customer Care to talk to me like a criminal for asking for an exception? Seems legit. :thumbup: :cool:

All joking aside, I do feel like we should expect more from auto makers. Car dealers make most of their money from service and parts, not from initial sales. Because of that, I think it's unreasonable to treat a customer poorly just because they bought their car somewhere else. I mean, if you find a baby rat in a can of Coke, you complain to Coke, not the gas station where you bought it, right?

If a fly lands in your soup, you might ask the waiter for another bowl of soup. If the waiter said, "I'm sorry, we only guarantee the soup to be free of flies until it hits the table.", you probably wouldn't go back there (unless you are a frog). The moral being that any restaurant that wants to stay in business realizes that making small things right for the customer is worth more in good will, and a regular customer, than the price of a bowl of soup.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The mentality that "the customer is always right" creates some issues. If there is a problem with a part that failed during a warranty term that was not due to neglect or damage, then of course that is what the warranty is for. Exceptions CAN be made beyond the warranty and for other issues, but I don't understand why you have the expectation that they SHOULD be made. Although your prior experiences indicate you have been fortunate to have exceptions done more often than not. So you now have the false basis that the rules should be changed to meet your expectations. That's not how things typically work, as you are now coming to realize.

The reason you paid far less for your used Beetle near the end of the basic warranty expiration is because of the likelihood of having to make repairs on your own and not covered by warranty. There is a reason you can pay for an aftermarket warranty that provides coverage after your manufacturer warranty expires. You still have a powertrain warranty on the Beetle, but as the basic warranty has expired, you are held accountable for those other repairs.

Have you contacted the seller of the vehicle again as I suggested earlier? They are the ones that apparently misrepresented the condition of the vehicle and the remaining amount of manufacturer warranty. I would be pestering them to take care of the issues.

Your analogy of a Coke with a baby rat would make sense IF the can of Coke hadn't already been opened and partially consumed by another customer. You paid to buy a can of Coke that has already been opened, and then complain that there is some saliva or a baby rat inside the can. And now you want Coke to remedy that problem. That is what can happen with a used can of coke, or a used car in this instance.

The analogy of a fly in the soup is similar. The soup you ended up with was originally purchased by an old man. It left the restaurant and was taken to his crusty apartment that is infested with bugs, and then listed on Craigslist after he had a few sips. Having a fly or two in it almost comes with the territory. :D On a lighter note, it reminded me of a comic that explained what happened when a lady complained about a hair in her salad: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ljiuv3/stand-up-brian-regan--working-at-ihop

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exceptions CAN be made beyond the warranty and for other issues, but I don't understand why you have the expectation that they SHOULD be made.
Never said that "the customer is always right". That's a fallacy. My point was that smart businesses know the value of maintaining a good reputation.

I called VW Customer Care with very few expectations, honestly. I was perfectly willing to pay for the repair, or buy a new seat. It was the dealer service manager who urged me to request the exception. He felt that it was warranted when it failed, and should be covered. What surprised me most was how hostile the people at VW Care became once they had decided to decline my request. I was calm and respectful during the entire call, yet they tore into with me like I was asking for them to change religions.

One of the supervisors called me back yesterday. After reviewing the calls, he apologized for the hostile and disrespectful attitude of the reps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Never said that "the customer is always right". That's a fallacy. My point was that smart businesses know the value of maintaining a good reputation.

I called VW Customer Care with very few expectations, honestly. I was perfectly willing to pay for the repair, or buy a new seat. It was the dealer service manager who urged me to request the exception. He felt that it was warranted when it failed, and should be covered. What surprised me most was how hostile the people at VW Care became once they had decided to decline my request. I was calm and respectful during the entire call, yet they tore into with me like I was asking for them to change religions.

One of the supervisors called me back yesterday. After reviewing the calls, he apologized for the hostile and disrespectful attitude of the reps.
The service manager could have done the repair and the dealer could have ate the cost if he truest wanted to.

Glad to hear some one called you back if they were that rude.

Also hope you don't have any other major issues with it they really are fun cars.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The service manager could have done the repair and the dealer could have ate the cost if he truest wanted to.

Glad to hear some one called you back if they were that rude.

Also hope you don't have any other major issues with it they really are fun cars.
Funny you should say that. I spoke with the service manager this afternoon and he is checking to see if they can just take care of it. Gotta say, the local dealer has been pretty great.

All the drama aside, the car has been pretty fun except for the random hard shifting. I'm guessing it's just a valve body, but I'll have the dealer look at it next time I take it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.