VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I currently drive a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT with a stroker motor that is 404Ci (6.6L) and makes 500HP. Very fun car that I take to track all the time and beat down on cars worth 3X as much...Well now my first born is on the way.

Obviously space is not an issue with a G8 but one as highly modified as mine is getting about 12-13MPG. With a new kid on the way that's not going to cut it. Initially I thought I'd just get a sensible "beater" car to drive everyday and keep the G8 parked for when I want to have fun given that I've spent a small fortune on it. Then I got to thinking that would mean I'm driving a car I hate everyday only to see my pride and joy just keep depreciating anyway...So I decided to cut my losses and sell my G8 while I can still get good money for it and buy a sensible car that I wouldn't hate to be in all day (I have to drive a lot). I've obviously decided on the Passat.

Given that I'm used to driving a car that can easily run flat 12 second quarter mile runs and takes me to work everyday, I decided I wouldn't settle for anything less than a V6 SEL Premium. It being rated at 20 City and 28 Highway I thought while that's not great mileage it should about double what I am used to right now anyway. I've considered the torquey TDI's but I just really don't think I can live with it everyday. This long ass story is just for me to ask what is the real world combined mileage you V6 guys are getting on your B7's? If it's in the high teens, I might have to rethink my options because it wouldn't really justify what I'm doing for not much of a gain. If low to mid 20's is realistic with mixed City driving, then it would be worth it. What have you guys experienced?

You can imagine given my G8 I heavily mod my cars. I would want to stay away from "performance mods" this time around but would definitely be getting coilovers, full H&R bars and bushings and those chinese HID headlights with LED DRL's...Seems like I should get that VCDC thing too though I don't quite exactly know what it is yet! :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
only had mine since the end of january, but here are all of my fuelly stats.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wjrodgers/passat

i don't mess with the city-to-highway ratio too much when i'm entering my fuel-up info, but i'd say i'm usually pretty close to 50-50 so that's where i leave it. i'd consider my driving pretty average as well... when it occurs to me, i drive as gingerly as possible, but i find myself dropping gears and hammering it quite a bit. i am coming from an '05 equinox so it's nice to be behind a VR6 again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well 23 sounds good. I just want to be sure I could be over 20. Sometimes those EPA figures are way off and I'll be very upset if I'm doing less than a 10MPG improvement over what I'm doing already.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
New turbo 4 cylinders make good power and very fuel efficient commuters.

My WRX was probably the one exception to the rule and the new Korean Turbo mid sized sedans are a good example.

I think VW is making a mistake with a V6 in such a light car that is so large. A well tuned 2.0T would be much better.

Oh well...

·
Registered
149 Posts
You are decided to go with TDi model then you can get almost 190 hp with 350 torque. But you have to replace engine mounts they are so soft, although I didn't find after market yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You are decided to go with TDinmodel then you can get almost 190 up with 350 torque. But you have to replace engine mounts they are so soft, although I didn't find after market yet.
Could you restate this, please? Are you saying TDI with a tune? Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, I meant tune. The hp and torque depends on upgrade stage, I'm looking to go with Rocket Chip more likely Jeff seems to me has good knowledge.

·
Registered
146 Posts
And I've decided on a VR6 not TDI.
Ok, so this is my one attempt to sway you to a TDI - take it for what it's worth.

I came from a GT500, and let me tell you, there's not a Passat out there that can come close to comparing with that kind of power! That being said, I knew this going into it and decided that if I was going to make the leap to a daily commuter family sedan, I was going to make it worth my while.

I initially arrived at a VW dealership with interest in the Jetta Sport Wagon, but after realizing that they were pretty tight (small) inside, my attention turned to the Passat. I never in my life thought I'd be happy with a 4 cylinder, but this car is awesome. Does it have issues? Yes, any car does (check out my squeaking coilover thread). But, if I had to go it all over again, I would still take the Passat TDI. This is the only car I've ever owned that consistently beats EPA estimates - it doesn't seem fair! I have about 20k miles on the car, and my worst tank of fuel is 38 mpg! It's got tons of torque for a 4 cylinder. If you get a base manual, there's really not a whole lot of shifting - plenty of torque in the tall gears.

It's funny, driving habits change with whatever you drive. Mine changed for the better. Instead of blasting up an entrance ramp at a gazillion miles per hour, I'm getting on the freeway with plenty of power and merging into traffic. Do I wish I had more power? Sure, but not at the expense of 15 to 20 mpg less than I get today.

I think the VR6 is a great motor, just don't want you to have any regrets with your purchase. With a new baby in the car, how often are you really going to be testing the acceleration of your new car, anyway?

Like I said, take it for what it's worth, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'm just under 20mpg with my VR6, but I do a bit more stop & go city driving than highway:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gawa/passat

I don't drive very much so a TDI doesn't make any sense for my situation. I also had a VR6 in my old MK4 GTI and I LOVED the way it sounded with exhaust, so I had to get another one. :thumbup::D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow Texas. I may have to go back and test drive a TDI. The mileage does seem amazing. I couldn't justify leaving my G8 and getting under 20MPG's with the VR6.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You should. I came from e60 BMW 550 with 360 + hp ( under estimated) so you can understand my feeling when I went and got TDi, my friends thought I gone nuts. ( I'm BMW cca member and whole nine yard I had M3 as well). So I'm be able to adjusted to power since in traffic is not a big deal, of course I don't do autocross anymore and missed that. I had biggest problem with Passat it's terrible handling such turna and ramps so I went at least upgraded springs I didn't want to spend a lot on upgrades, only left its little more power later. I will buy later in 5-6 years either BMW 135 or Audi TT RS just for autocross , but will keep TDi since it should last 200+ miles I hope.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are there any options that a VR6 SEL Premium has that a TDI SEL Premium does not have for 2013?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like no remote start is one feature which is great and my G8 has. Great to cool the car before putting the baby in!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a V6 SE and wish every day that I would have found a TDI. I had a '06 Jetta TDI and that was the 1.9L. It was a bit of a dog but that is a different story. I have a Touareg TDI and love it.
My only regrets with the Passat are that it isn't the TDI and not the SEL Prem. I like the care a lot and would buy one again but not the V6. It has plenty of power but I hate myself when I get on it and think of how much fuel I just went through. The power is nice when you want it but I would love to have the fuel economy of the TDI instead.

If that helps at all. I would post EPA numbers but I don't have any solid numbers from driving it yet. I.E. Wife drives it and forgets to reset the trip and write down the numbers when she fills it up.

·
Registered
755 Posts
For the past 12 months, this is what I'm showing for my car...

20 MPG City
31 MPG Highway
23 MPG Combined
.84 lbs CO2/mi (carbon footprint)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so this is my one attempt to sway you to a TDI - take it for what it's worth.

I came from a GT500, and let me tell you, there's not a Passat out there that can come close to comparing with that kind of power! That being said, I knew this going into it and decided that if I was going to make the leap to a daily commuter family sedan, I was going to make it worth my while.

I initially arrived at a VW dealership with interest in the Jetta Sport Wagon, but after realizing that they were pretty tight (small) inside, my attention turned to the Passat. I never in my life thought I'd be happy with a 4 cylinder, but this car is awesome. Does it have issues? Yes, any car does (check out my squeaking coilover thread). But, if I had to go it all over again, I would still take the Passat TDI. This is the only car I've ever owned that consistently beats EPA estimates - it doesn't seem fair! I have about 20k miles on the car, and my worst tank of fuel is 38 mpg! It's got tons of torque for a 4 cylinder. If you get a base manual, there's really not a whole lot of shifting - plenty of torque in the tall gears.

It's funny, driving habits change with whatever you drive. Mine changed for the better. Instead of blasting up an entrance ramp at a gazillion miles per hour, I'm getting on the freeway with plenty of power and merging into traffic. Do I wish I had more power? Sure, but not at the expense of 15 to 20 mpg less than I get today.

I think the VR6 is a great motor, just don't want you to have any regrets with your purchase. With a new baby in the car, how often are you really going to be testing the acceleration of your new car, anyway?

Like I said, take it for what it's worth, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Thanks for offering to answer my questions Texas and everybody!

I am just really nervous about a diesel. I've never had one and have all the bad images that most Americans have. Bad smell, noisy engine and vibrations.....I would love a diesel's torque and fuel economy if I could actually not NOTICE it was a diesel...How do you notice you're driving one in a Passat? Does it smell, vibrate and rattle? I really don't want to regret getting a VR6 like you said but I really don't want to regret getting a TDI either. And what about this AdBlue additive you have to keep adding? How often is that?

I am really glad I put this post up...It seems more and more I should go with a TDI.

I'm going to test drive a TDI this morning...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Smell, noise, rattle? Nope, none of those. The car does have a different idol sound, but it's only on the outside that you notice, the inside is rather quiet. Haven't had to deal with the adblue myself (only at 12k miles).

Remember that bigger wheels will drop your mileage. On the stock 17s with stock tires I got 42 when driving in "fun mode" in the summer, driving 70+ mph, with AC on full. Right now, I'm getting (aveaging) 50ish while driving 60. As much as I might like the performance, I can't imagine having to go to the gas station every week again (the 750-850 mile tank spoils you).

I didn't drive the V6 because I didn't want the temptation. ;) but I have never been without the power that I needed when I needed it. This is the first car I've ever had like that.

As a side note, when I breaking the engine in (the diesel break in)--red lining it all the time etc.--it performed verrrryyy well and got a hhoorrriibble 27 mpg (I don't record that on fuely)

Enjoy your test drives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure you talk price before you decide. I was debating between the TDI and VR6; until the dealer told me I would have to pay sticker for the TDI and they were willing to negotiate on the 3.6 SEL Premium. I paid about $2,300 below the TDI sticker price for a 3.6 SEL Premium. It would take 3 ½ years before I would make up that difference in fuel costs if gas prices and my commute stay as they are currently. I will still pay more over the life of the car, but the VR6 is worth that to me.

About 70% of my miles are highway miles and I get about 26 mpg. I get about 30 mpg on long highway trips. I also do not use the sport shifting mode and I only stomp on it hard when I need it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts