VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back we posted a picture comparing some fake parts we received from a vendor on our social media. This brought on a bunch of questions from people asking us how they can tell if they are getting fake parts. It inspired us to make this video, because educating the community is really important to us.

Take a look and let me know what you think, and of course ShopDAP.com for your VW Parts Online

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried to shop at your site to bad you dont have any mk2 parts
Thanks for considering us. Yes unfortunately we have not gotten to MK2 stuff at this point. It was important to me to be very strong in specific places instead of mediocre in a bunch. For now that means we wont be able to get to MK2 stuff for a while. Once again thank you so much for considering us.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I can appreciate the effort to do this given there are a few parts I won't buy OE/aftermarket instead of OEM. Especially if it is a total copyright or totally fraudulent effort to put OEM markings on a non OEM part. Kudos on that. :beer:

Quality is another topic.

I'll just say that I worked for a company that provided both OEM's and OE/aftermarket suppliers with durability testing equipment for: auto-trans load machines, belt testers, etc..

People slam companies like Dayco in an effort to laud OEM, but I specifically remember the company I worked for doing a machine that tested timing and accessory belts in all sort of tests in a single box: extreme cold, extreme heat, shock loads, simulated mud/slush concoction sprayed onto the belt while running.......etc.

Things I feel are equivalent or maybe better OE are the things common to all cars and they are forced to excel in to survive as companies.

Things I feel you buy OEM are items that are more uniquely designed and not at common to all cars: directional projector headlight assembly versus an alternator or starter.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can appreciate the effort to do this given there are a few parts I won't buy OE/aftermarket instead of OEM. Especially if it is a total copyright or totally fraudulent effort to put OEM markings on a non OEM part. Kudos on that. :beer:

I'll just say that I worked for a company that provided both OEM's and OE/aftermarket suppliers with durability testing equipment for: auto-trans load machines, belt testers, etc..

People slam companies like Dayco in an effort to laud OEM, but I specifically remember the company I worked for doing a machine that tested timing and accessory belts in all sort of tests in a single box: extreme cold, extreme heat, shock loads, simulated mud/slush concoction sprayed onto the belt while running.......etc.

Things I feel are equivalent or maybe better OE are the things common to all cars and they are forced to excel in to survive as companies.

Things I feel you buy OEM are items that are more uniquely designed and not at common to all cars: directional projector headlight assembly versus an alternator or starter.
Talking about the non OEM parts will probably be a future video. There are so many with varying quality that its tough to make any blanket statement about them.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Man, I hate all this chinese rip off stuff.... everything from car parts, to cameras, to electronic chips, to guitars to microphone. :facepalm: You can't trust anything on ebay or amazon, that's for sure! :mad:

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
Man, I hate all this chinese rip off stuff.... everything from car parts, to cameras, to electronic chips, to guitars to microphone. :facepalm: You can't trust anything on ebay or amazon, that's for sure! :mad:
No doubt.

Believe it or not it's a huge problem in the air-cooled community, too. A friend of mine used to have a parts shop and was showing me the Chinese cylinder heads with VW logos/part numbers cast in. It was hard to tell the difference, but from what I understand the metals involved won't take the (extreme) heat. It's frustrating as hell. :mad:

I appreciate the info, Paul. Keep on keepin' on. :beer:

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah most people have to learn the hard way unfortunately. The hardest part is that there is no really way to make sure someone doesn't get a fake except say buy from us. To me making that statement creates a questionable motive as to why we are making the statement in the first place. Hope this video helps some people.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No doubt.

Believe it or not it's a huge problem in the air-cooled community, too. A friend of mine used to have a parts shop and was showing me the Chinese cylinder heads with VW logos/part numbers cast in. It was hard to tell the difference, but from what I understand the metals involved won't take the (extreme) heat. It's frustrating as hell. :mad:

I appreciate the info, Paul. Keep on keepin' on. :beer:
Yup not all metals, casts, weld and so forth are create equal. Thanks for the feedback. I understand your frustration.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts

Having worked for an aftermarket parts place, I generally agree with this statement.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the videos! YouTube suggested that one a few weeks ago based on my viewing of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act video you did. Both were outstanding. Those two got my subscription and I've been watching more.

Very well done stuff. Good job.
Thanks for subscribing and the feedback. I have wanted to to the Magnuson Moss thing long before we made videos.

·
Registered
2011 SAAB 9-5 and 2016 Lincoln MKC
2,278 Posts
Yeah most people have to learn the hard way unfortunately. The hardest part is that there is no really way to make sure someone doesn't get a fake except say buy from us. To me making that statement creates a questionable motive as to why we are making the statement in the first place. Hope this video helps some people.
Far more frightening is how much of this happens in the aviation industry. I hate the thought that when I take a commercial airline flight that an occasional counterfeit component ends up as part of the plane I'm sitting in.

:(

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
This is where forums come in handy. While its well and good to buy only OEM parts there are tons of aftermarket parts that fit and work as good, if not better than the OEM parts.
In a forum, people share that they bought X and its good, crap, whatever. In many cases (ie VW 1.8t coil packs) it has taken a really long time for VW to get that kinda ironed out- and think of all the money you wouldve wasted buy OEM only.
While it may be a decent rule of thumb to stick with OEM parts, a lot of the Original parts producers (especially for VW) made crap.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.