VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I would ask you guys why is my car leaks the coolant on the overflow tube.
So the car got -New filters,Oils,Coolant, and Cap for the coolant tank.
(VW Passat AVB 2004 101HP)
At the moment the termostat doesnt works its open
(Cant reach 90celsius but if i can its goes down to 60celsius)
Tomorrow morning i will replace the termostat,but will it be useful?or its surely headgasket?

Best Regards Frenk

(sorry for my bad english but i cannot find answers on my first laungage)
(if anyone has already posted this problem,please comment the link
but im surely wanna know what you think about the problem)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hello!

I would ask you guys why is my car leaks the coolant on the overflow tube.
So the car got -New filters,Oils,Coolant, and Cap for the coolant tank.
(VW Passat AVB 2004 101HP)
At the moment the termostat doesnt works its open
(Cant reach 90celsius but if i can its goes down to 60celsius)
Tomorrow morning i will replace the termostat,but will it be useful?or its surely headgasket?

Best Regards Frenk

(sorry for my bad english but i cannot find answers on my first laungage)
(if anyone has already posted this problem,please comment the link
but im surely wanna know what you think about the problem)
Sounds like a similar problem to what I had on my BHW Passat, the EGR cooler failed and put exhaust gasses into the coolant. I removed the cooler and it stopped. I would check that even before replacing the thermostat.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm having a similar problem in mt 5.5 1.8T. In my MK3 Jetta 2.0 there is a coolant sensor built into the reservoir which could not be replaced separately I don't believe it's a temp sensor but rather a coolant level sensor. Is it a similar set up in the B5.5?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can see clearly on the overflow, and the cap.
You can see clearly on the overflow, and the cap.
I'd start by replacing the tank. My thing always do the cheap and easy first!!!! Not only that but as you disassemble you may be able to better see if there are other problems around. I priced out an aftermarket part. $21 with the cap. An OEM maybe about $70 if you have that disease.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I'm having a similar problem in mt 5.5 1.8T. In my MK3 Jetta 2.0 there is a coolant sensor built into the reservoir which could not be replaced separately I don't believe it's a temp sensor but rather a coolant level sensor. Is it a similar set up in the B5.5?
Yes. It’s not exactly a coolant level sensor but rather a switch to let you know if the reservoir is empty or low.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I'd start by replacing the tank. My thing always do the cheap and easy first!!!! Not only that but as you disassemble you may be able to better see if there are other problems around. I priced out an aftermarket part. $21 with the cap. An OEM maybe about $70 if you have that disease.
I agree. Replace the reservoir and cap. You can not always see the cracks or sources of leaks.

If you wanted to investigate, you could remove the tank and figure out a way to pressurize it slightly will holding it under water to see if it leaks. I think from your photos it clearly has a leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. Replace the reservoir and cap. You can not always see the cracks or sources of leaks.

If you wanted to investigate, you could remove the tank and figure out a way to pressurize it slightly will holding it under water to see if it leaks. I think from your photos it clearly has a leak.
I ordered the new tank and cap, tomorrow ill going to the shop and change it.
But after i changed i filled up with coolant and its still leaking any other ideas?
(i thinking on that the headgasket is fired out at the water line and may the presure goes in the water line and this doing the leak on the overflow and on the cap?
but the water is not goes higher than 90C and the exhaust fumes looks like normals isnt too white or blue.Its only my thought,so tell if its wrong to know it.)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I ordered the new tank and cap, tomorrow ill going to the shop and change it.
But after i changed i filled up with coolant and its still leaking any other ideas?
(i thinking on that the headgasket is fired out at the water line and may the presure goes in the water line and this doing the leak on the overflow and on the cap?
but the water is not goes higher than 90C and the exhaust fumes looks like normals isnt too white or blue.Its only my thought,so tell if its wrong to know it.)
Is there pressure in the cooling system? Check the EGR cooler.
You've thrown several parts at it, and it's still not fixed. A bit of diagnostics could have avoided that waste of parts and time.
A head gasket or blown cooler don't necessarily cause smoke or overheating on these.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You've thrown several parts at it, and it's still not fixed. A bit of diagnostics could have avoided that waste of parts and time.
A head gasket or blown cooler don't necessarily cause smoke or overheating on these.

Yes when is screw down the reservoir cap it makes that "sshh" noise and on the overflow squirt a bit and drippin.
So etc: just fill up the coolant - tomorrow morning without using the car-> coolant gone its all on the ground by the overflow.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes when is screw down the reservoir cap it makes that "sshh" noise and on the overflow squirt a bit and drippin.
So etc: just fill up the coolant - tomorrow morning without using the car-> coolant gone its all on the ground by the overflow.
Ok, so now you just need to narrow down why there's pressure in there. It's either the EGR cooler or the head gasket. EGR cooler is fairly easy to rule out. Plate it off and bypass the coolant hoses and see if it's still getting pressure in the coolant.
Simply clamping the coolant hoses to the cooler isn't enough. I learned that on my Passat which had a cooler fail. I clamped the hoses off and it still had pressure, so i assumed it was the head gasket. I began to prepare for the head gasket replacement, but when I pulled the EGR cooler, I found that there was coolant in the exhaust side of it. I plated it off and used a brass elbow to bypass the coolant hoses, and then tested and there was no pressure anymore.
I deleted the EGR and have been running it for a while now without any more problems.
If there's still pressure, it's the head gasket, or cracked head/block.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

May im wrong but my car doesnt have EGR cooler or is it? because from the exhaust manifold goes directly to the EGR valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
May im wrong but my car doesnt have EGR cooler or is it? because from the exhaust manifold goes directly to the EGR valve.
Ok, so that rules EGR cooler out. Means that the only way for there to be pressure in the coolant would be head gasket or a crack in the block/head. I'd pull the head and get a machine shop to check it.
Though, I would first verify that it is combustion gas in the coolant with a combustion gas test kit.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.