VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new to the forum sorry for the imperfect English I'm typing from Italy.
My phaeton after an LPG conversion after 100 km of driving pop up the oil level check light. During my investigation I find a key positive shared with the injector and the level sensor. The lpg technician have taken a positive for the lpg ECU from there so I think some interference occur. I think I can solve this with a diode but if Is possible I prefer delete this in some way with vcds.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Hi @Bangusto87 I'm not quite sure what problem you're trying to solve. Are you saying the oil level sensor is giving a false positive and you want to disable it? Have you checked the oil level? I had an issue w/ the hood latch switch which had a broken wire causing the oil level warning MIL remaining illuminated even after checking and topping off the oil.

Robert

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
No my hood latch work properly if I open it the message disappear the oil level is fine. I want if it's possible to delete the oil level control
I see. Since I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve and which issue you're trying to solve we'll have to wait for some of the other forum members to chime in. Perhaps you could share a picture or diagram of the part you mean, since in my understanding the oil level sensor is positioned on the front lower part of the engine and I haven't previously seen anyone complain about that causing a problem to the extent they would rather delete it.

Robert

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I think I understand what you mean. Although I'd strongly advise against it. The warning system is there for a very good reason. If I were in your shoes I'd really try to diagnose the cause. I can't quite make out what your mechanic did. What I'm guessing you were trying to say was he ran a plus (positive) wire from somewhere to somewhere. I was hoping you could share a picture of that setup. If this is what's causing the issue then that's what needs sorting out.

That being said, I have no idea how to disable the oil level MIL in the instrument cluster. I'm very doubtful you'd be able to de-code it w/ VCDS, but I'm definitely no expert in that field.

Robert

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I would go back to the LPG technician and have him or her re-do the power to get it from another source.

There is no reason to tap into any existing harness for anything. There should be an unused terminal for any kind of power you need.

My Phaeton came with an aftermarket RADAR Detector and whoever installed it messed up a lot of stuff but they did use an unused fuse socket for power. The power wire was soldered to a 5 A fuse. They didn't bother to get power from an empty terminal but at least they didn't use a Scotch Lock to tap into an important wire.

I agree with Robert, I doubt you can disable it with VFDS.

I don't think you can disable warnings like the Check Engine Light or low fluid, etc.. It also sounds more like an electrical problem if it persists.

Are there faults when you scan it? If so, did you try resetting faults?

My Phaeton W12 had a few times when the Low Coolant! warning came on. The coolant level was fine. The first time it happened, my ZAB rebooted a few times. The warning didn't show up in VCDS from what I can remember but it had misfire faults for all 4 banks. The engine was running perfectly. I reset the faults and they never returned.

Several months later, I got the same Low Coolant warning with full coolant. That time it didn't have misfire faults. I reset the engine controllers anyway and that warning never returned. It was probably the coolant level sensor or its wiring getting old.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This Saturday I try to put a diode on +12 supply of the sensor maybe no back current interference can solve the problem. The lpg technician have do what's its printed on the lpg ECU instructions but the phaeton it's a complicated car. I'm a car technician too and I can reroute the whiring but I don't won't to disassemble the intake

·
Registered
536 Posts
It may very well be the sensor that is defect as it is quite common. I have changed it twice on the W12 and once on the W8. It is the same sensor on allmost every VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda in that model year span. I would check the newly made connection as well and the wiring to the sensor. My last defect did not solve with a new sensor and after much fiddeling with tests with new sensor in place and old sensor loose in the air and changing between them I found that the wiring had a defect that showed when handling the connector/wiring several times.

Lennart

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally yesterday I put a diode on the +12 feed wire of the sensor. Now the car have run for 150 km with no check oil light before the light pop up until 50 km of the hood opening. Maybe my though of a back current disturbing is right :) I want to test the car a little more

·
Registered
84 Posts
Look at the check oil light on I want simple to disable it forever! :) The sensor incriminated is the one at the bottom of the oil pan. I ask if there are any trick with vcds to code out delete ecc the oil level control
In the same position - car has plenty of oil, have reset the warning on VCDS twice and its come back after a while again. Bloody annoying and actually likely to make you check your oil less often as you get so pissed off with it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts