VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this service circular FROM VOLKSWAGEN Don't laugh at my spelling, I can't spell and had to type this from a Faxed document...
Here is what this service circular from VW says:
quote:[HR][/HR]
Volkswagen is presently experiencing a temporary shortfall of ignition coil parts, which may adversely impact customer satisfaction regarding ignition coil repairs. As ignition coil parts availability increases for these models, customer satisfaction initiatives will be implemented to address these concenrs. The first in this series of initiatives is outlined below. As parts availability continues to improve for other models, you will be notified via additional warranty service circulars.
1.8l Volkswagen Vehicles ONLY - Part Number 06B905115J
As of January 31, 2004 date of repair, the following customer satisfaction initative is available if a customer is required to visit the dealership a second time for an ignition coil failure on the same vehicle. This iniative is only applicable to 1.8l Volkswagen vehicles that require ignition coil part number 06B905116J
Ignition coil - First Repair Visit
Replace only the failed ignition coil(s) under warranty. All warranty claims must be substained by a VAS 5051/VAS 5052 printout showing measuring Value blocks 14, 15, and 16.
Ignition Coil - Second Repair Visit
If an additional coil fails on a 1.8l Volkswagen vehicle, resulting in the customer's second coil repair visit to a dealership, the cusotmer will then be eligible to have the defective coil(s) replaced, as well as the remaining non-defective coils (excluding previously replaced coils on the customer's first repair visit unless the coils are defective). The following additional documentation and ordering requirements are required for program eligibility.
The dealer must provide a copy of the repair documentation from the first repair visit, including the VAS 5051/VAS 5052 printout showing measuring value blocks 14, 15, and 16.
The warranty claim for the second repair must be substained by a VAS 5051/VAS 5052 printout showing measuring Value Blocks 14, 15, and 16 for at least one failed coil on the second repair.
The ignition coil(s), part number 06B905115J, must be ordered through the Critical parts ignition coil team.[HR][/HR]​
Looks like things are about to rebound.
[Modified by Wholsea, 10:24 AM 1-31-2003]

[Modified by Wholsea, 10:25 AM 1-31-2003]

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: VW Service Circular VWA-03-03 (VDUBBINDizzy)

I don't really know, my guess would be maybe Bremi is paying for the replaced coils with these upgraded J coils. Maybe if they went with another supplyer, VW'd have to pick up the bill.
I know for a fact that the Beru coils work in these cars, but they are like2-3 times more expensive than the stock coils...
This is good news tho, you won't have to make 4 trips to the dealership for the same problem.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Re: VW Service Circular VWA-03-03 (Wholsea)

quote:[HR][/HR]The warranty claim for the second repair must be substained by a VAS 5051/VAS 5052 printout showing measuring Value Blocks 14, 15, and 16 for at least one failed coil on the second repair.[HR][/HR]​
And for the hundreds of dealerships who use VAG-COM, you can print out readings from 3 measuring groups at once. Instead of printing out one at a time with the slower VAS-5051 or VAS-5052, dealers can get cars in and out faster with VAG-COM:

BTW, I thought revision J packs are failing as well? The parts guy at our local dealer says the cost of coilpacks has dropped to $19, but none are available.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: VW Service Circular VWA-03-03 ([email protected])

I think for VW to honor the warranty it has to be a VAS printout (that is what my understanding is)
As far as J packs failing, I heard rumors that Bremi is filing bankruptcy protection, and that Beru (Maker of the "E" packs) is working on buying them out.
VW is testing E-packs now for longjevity in the J pack car, and looks like the E pack may be replacing the J pack.
These are just rumors, don't quote me on it.
-- Whol

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I think for VW to honor the warranty it has to be a VAS printout (that is what my understanding is)[HR][/HR]​
It is up to the discretion of the FOM (used to be called OTS) to accept printouts from VAG-COM. There are hundreds of dealerships where such printouts are accepted by their FOM's for warranty reimbursement. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Here's a screenshot of 14, 15, & 16 in our Eurovan:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: VW Service Circular VWA-03-03 (Turbo20VJetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]That is totally unacceptable! Nothing short of a full recall on the cars that may be affected is acceptable!
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
Acceptable or unacceptable is moot at this point, there is not enough supply to facilitate a full out recall, I think it is much better than going back 4 times. How about a little compassion for an attempt to make a bad situation better. Get a grip, I understand this is a bitter subject but there is light at the end of the tunnel...
-- Whol

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: VW Service Circular VWA-03-03 (F1_Fan)

Iguess I could scan the one I have, may be illegable tho, its not a very good fax. Just note the bulliten number: VWA-03-03
date: Jan 30, 2003
Subject: Ignition Coil Replacement.

·
Registered
16,120 Posts
Re: VW Service Circular VWA-03-03 (Turbo20VJetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]That is totally unacceptable! Nothing short of a full recall on the cars that may be affected is acceptable![HR][/HR]​
pipe down mcfly.... of all the cars out there, it's still happening to relatively few, of the non-enthusiasts i know with 1.8t's (4 people) none of them have had any issues. problems look bigger on vortex because 1. we're tougher on cars and 2. we're looking for problems.

·
Registered
19,985 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Iguess I could scan the one I have, may be illegable tho, its not a very good fax. Just note the bulliten number: VWA-03-03
date: Jan 30, 2003
Subject: Ignition Coil Replacement.[HR][/HR]​
OK

Does anyone know if this went to Canadian dealers as well?

·
Registered
731 Posts

Anyone know where you can order the "E" packs, I assume P/N 06B905115E?
VWparts and drewparts both don't have them (or I can't find them there).
Wouldn't the E pack require us going back to an allen wrench bracket system, like on the AWD engine? Or is VW just popping them in without a bracket?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]"As of January 31, 2004 date of repair..."[HR][/HR]​

Is this a typo???

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.