VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1971 Aktiv Fischer Snow Trac ST4. Aktiv make them from 1959 to 1981 in Sweden. The engine and transmission are pure VW. The engine is a 1600cc Flat 4 industrial version. VW was the only engine supplier for the vehicles. The ST4 was used by British Commando units, they were aluminum bodied and light enough to be carried by helicopter. ST4s were used to patrol the Norwegian/USSR border duing the peak of the cold war years.
Everywhere this thing goes I get questions about it and I figured I would post some photos for anyone interested in an unusual VW.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: VW Snow Cat tracked vehicle photos ('02 Turbo S)

Mechanically it is in good shape, I currently have the lights disconnected and plan to re-do the electrical system this fall. A Blaukpunkt AM/FM/CD player, SkiFy2 and a Magellin Meridian Color GPS will all be added when the electrical system is overhauled. The original side facing bench seats have been removed long before I ever bought this, so we are making new seats/seat backs but instead of covering them with simply black vinyl, I'm planning on covering them with a tropical Palm Tree print just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: VW Snow Cat tracked vehicle photos (Melensdad)

Isn't the motor at front and tranny mounted backwards, so the shift pattern is backwards as well (stock reverse is not 1st gear, etc).
I always love those
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (akaflorida)

It weighs in about 2500# empty, it seats 6 to 7 people if you want to get cozy, but 4 to 5 is comfortable. The only forward facing seat is the drivers seat, the other seats are side mounted benches that have passengers facing each other. The cabin and much of the body work is aluminum to keep the weight down. It is pretty small, at only 6'2" wide and 12' long.
To answer the prior question about the transmission, yes it does have an odd shift pattern!!! But early this spring I actually taught my 10 year old how to work the clutch on it and she drove it around a field without doing to badly (we live several miles from town and have plenty of land to run it on). The only thing she doesn't like about it is that she knows she will never miss a day of school because we are snowed in!

·
Registered
166 Posts
One of those are in service as a winter time ambulance up in the nearby skitracks. I think its a early 60`s, converted to flat4 diesel. I also know of one with a blown engine, like 5 min from where i live

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Re: (AircooledKiller)

very cool, i have an old matchbox one missing its treads. where in IN are you? you should take it out to the indy volkswagen show

1 - 11 of 11 Posts