VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
49,809 Posts
Gorgeous cars for sure and I’ve always loved the Brasília as well.

I really like those, too. That’s a great color on it to boot!

There’s a local guy with one, but I haven’t seen it in person yet. I hope to get to see it at one of the shows this year. It looks like it would have a “suitcase” engine like a Type 3, but it’s an upright engine like a Beetle’s. It’s a damn tight engine compartment!

· Registered
36,730 Posts
Wow! No, certainly not. This car is a really cool looking Beetle, but at the end of the day, it's still a Beetle.
Worse, weren't these based on the 411? Or is this a case of 411 parts on a Beetle floorpan?

· Registered
23,972 Posts

· Registered
49,809 Posts
Worse, weren't these based on the 411? Or is this a case of 411 parts on a Beetle floorpan?
Nope. It’s mechanically more akin to a Beetle than anything else.

This looks almost Italian.

And this looks like a photoshop. Is this a real car?
It may be a Photoshopped image, but the Puma is real.

· I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
66,680 Posts
I really like those, too. That’s a great color on it to boot!

There’s a local guy with one, but I haven’t seen it in person yet. I hope to get to see it at one of the shows this year. It looks like it would have a “suitcase” engine like a Type 3, but it’s an upright engine like a Beetle’s. It’s a damn tight engine compartment!
Yeah that’s odd about the engine, seems like it would sacrifice cargo space. Maybe it was a cooling issue. The SP2 uses the flat Ghia style engine though, does it not?

This looks almost Italian.

And this looks like a photoshop. Is this a real car?
The first one looks Italian because the designer was Italian. The second one does appear to be a photoshop.

· Registered
49,809 Posts
Yeah that’s odd about the engine, seems like it would sacrifice cargo space. Maybe it was a cooling issue. The SP2 uses the flat Ghia style engine though, does it not?

The first one looks Italian because the designer was Italian. The second one does appear to be a photoshop.
It is indeed a Type 3 cooling system, tough I had to find a pic to be sure. I’ve never even seen one in the flesh.

It is not, however, a Karmann Ghia setup, as that’s identical to the Beetle... unless you mean the Type 3 Karmann Ghia , which is a completely different car that was never sold in the U.S.

· Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,423 Posts
Wow, it's easy to forget how many air cooled Volkswagen models there actually were. Only 3 or 4 of them are frequently mentioned. Also, I laughed at this line from the SP2's Wikipedia entry. :laugh:

The name officially stands for "Sao Paolo", but locals gave it the nickname “Sem Potência”, which is Portuguese for “without power.”

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.