VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this is not in the right section, i will move if necessary. so i had a bunch of problems with my vwee lately i posted earlier in the year about the car not starting, the problem was water in the ecm plug. but now my speedo is not working, it kept getting water in between the plug and speed sensor so i put some dyelectric grease in there then the problem went away for about 20 days or so.
but now it stoped all together. so i got a new sensor and still not working so i did some digging and im getting a pulse up to the guage cluster and everything else is working. but in the mornings when its cold and i make a left turn the speedo will work, but as soon as i straighten out it will drop to 0. when the car gets warmer it will stop doing that unless i go around the corner so fast i am squealing tires and sliding. so im thinking its the cluster is bad but im not sure that the speedo just needs the ground pulse only to opperate. what do you think. by the way this is a 99.5 2.0 auto gti. and sorry about grammar i suck at it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hard to say what it may be. It could be the sensor, the cluster or the wiring/terminals. My speedo currently doesnt work at all. Sometimes ill hit a bump and it will jump up to speed. Other times i can hit the dash and it will work for a second.

electrical in MK3s is horrible. Sorry if this doesnt help very much, but it can only be one of these 3 things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, iv pretty much eliminated the wiring and sensor, im down to the guage cluster now. i just dont know if there is a power or ground that needs to be complete to make the speedo work. my next step is the guage cluster. im getting a ground pulse for the speedo up to the guage cluster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so iv narrowed it down to a wiring problem, yesterday when i was going to work the speedo started working perfectly all the way to work exept when i would turn really sharp right it would drop to 0. but when i would turn the heater fan on high it would wig out turn it off and everything is fine. like just the draw of the fan is pulling to much juice from the speedo. so today i will tear into it and start testing the wires, i got a pinout of the plugs going into the cluster so i will make sure everything is there and the right voltage is getting there and solid grounds

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.