VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (SkyPup)

I don't understand, my car has only had ULSD....

sure I have to drive 30 minutes for it, but thats all I have let my baby sip
Edit
And it makes a great excuse for a GTG
Edit
Natureboy

[Modified by natureboy, 6:04 AM 1-27-2003]

·
Registered
892 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (natureboy)

quote:[HR][/HR]
sure I have to drive 30 minutes for it, but thats all I have let my baby sip[HR][/HR]​
That's irrational. Modern on-road diesel fuel is already very low sulfur. Your ride doesn't know the difference between LSD and ULSD. If you think it does, you are dreaming.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (SkyPup)

quote:[HR][/HR]VelvetFoot was wrong...........
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
[HR][/HR]​
Who is he/she? and what was he/she wrong about?

just curious

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (Ric Woodruff)

quote:[HR][/HR]VelvetFoot was wrong...........
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Who is he/she? and what was he/she wrong about?

[HR][/HR]​
He, and you know the user by a different name IIRC
Ric ULSD is avial in Kalifornia and a few other select areas and is quite abit different than other crap. Fuel gets kinda worse as you go east from there winding up with zero good fuel in florida unless you burn some or all biodiesel. ULSD is like BioD - low on the power but the emissions are really really impressive.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (GeWilli)

Ric ULSD is avial in Kalifornia and a few other select areas and is quite abit different than other crap. Fuel gets kinda worse as you go east from there winding up with zero good fuel in florida unless you burn some or all biodiesel. ULSD is like BioD - low on the power but the emissions are really really impressive.
[/QUOTE]
You are crazy. Fuel filters, injectors, etc., etc. would be clogging left & right if it was "crap". Get real.

·
Registered
100 Posts

You are crazy. Fuel filters, injectors, etc., etc. would be clogging left & right if it was "crap". Get real.[HR][/HR]​
nope - not crazy - fuel pumps are failing - but they haven't hit the critical limit of accumulated miles. give em 5 years then we'll see em toast left and right . . . These VE37 pumps and injectors are much more durable than some "poser" might have everyone believe . . . but just becuase they are robust doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit from cleaner or better fuel. . . . . the newer stuff will be here and would run fine - except not for as long as the older stuff . . . <shrug> believe what ya want . . . I'd say there is someone else in your neck of the woods that is crazier than me

·
Registered
100 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]FYI: Mine is over 5 years old and 142,000+ miles. I'm shakin' in me boots!
[HR][/HR]​
142? dats it? Gimme a break - unless ya get a dose of water all you'll see at this point is a touch more smoke and less power
Hell I'm at 141,000+ in 3.5 years. differences might not be evident to the more miopic drivers until 200-300,000 miles - long after most people have grown tired or impatient with them

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Ric said..... Modern on-road diesel fuel is already very low sulfur. Your ride doesn't know the difference between LSD and ULSD. If you think it does, you are dreaming.
[HR][/HR]​
Ric, I may be dreaming of the slight lost of power when using the 7-15 ppm ULSD available next door from Arco, but I deffinitelly do not dream when I have to refuel more often as I get a mileage hit of 2-4 MPG with that stuff. So, my engine knows the difference. There is also a difference in sound and smoothness, but guess those are things I am dreaming of too

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (pyce)

fwiw, here's a link to a reasonably good write up on diesels with a little comparison between CR and DI style engines..
i am in favour of CR, but i would not mind having a 150 PD GTI 25th Ave version

how odd.. the link i posted before seems to have vanished..
oh well. .here it is again
http://www.greendieseltechnology.com/news85.html

[Modified by Godlike, 10:59 PM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
892 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (pyce)

quote:[HR][/HR] I deffinitelly do not dream when I have to refuel more often as I get a mileage hit of 2-4 MPG with that stuff. [HR][/HR]​
Again, for an accurate assessment, you would have to compare 5-10 tankfuls of one fuel to 5-10 tankfuls of another fuel. Have you done this? Or gone by one or two tankfuls???
As far as smoothness goes, you'd have to mount accelerometers in several areas of the vehicle to get objective readings.
Keep things in perspective: LSD and ULSD are 99.95% the same. A 1/20 of 1% difference is hardly going to result in a 2-4 MPG difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] Again, for an accurate assessment, you would have to compare 5-10 tankfuls of one fuel to 5-10 tankfuls of another fuel. Have you done this? Or gone by one or two tankfuls???
As far as smoothness goes, you'd have to mount accelerometers in several areas of the vehicle to get objective readings.
Keep things in perspective: LSD and ULSD are 99.95% the same. A 1/20 of 1% difference is hardly going to result in a 2-4 MPG difference.[HR][/HR]​
peter's assesment of the ULSD operation is EXTREMELY consistent with eveyrone i've talked to in Californina that's been running ULSD. And consistent with the fuel itself. It is a slightly shorter chain fraction than the regular LS crap (using crap as a relative term not an absolute).
They are not 99.5% the same. The facts that I've seen do not support your opinion on that.
As for objective readings - Ric, peter is a pretty damn objective person. . . .
I don't think you need 5-10 ya just need one or two complete tank fulls which sometimes for those that don't let the tank run down past the fuel light means 3-4 tanks.
Can you cite the sources saying that LSD and ULSD are 99.5% the same???

·
Registered
892 Posts
Re: VW TDI is the Most Dynomite Ride in North America (GeWilli)

Can you cite the sources saying that LSD and ULSD are 99.5% the same???[HR][/HR]​
Sure, let's run through the math:
Current low sulfur diesel at 500PPM means it's 99.95% pure fuel.
ULSD at 15 PPM means it is 99.9985 pure fuel.
99.95/99.9985=99.95%
Sorry, my original statement of 99.5% the same was in error. USLD & LSD are really 99.95% the same!

One certainly won't experience a 2-4 MPG difference when the fuel is 1/20th of 1% different!!!

[Modified by Ric Woodruff, 4:43 AM 2-3-2003]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: mileage loss doubful (Ric Woodruff)

Can you cite the sources saying that LSD and ULSD are 99.5% the same???
Sure, let's run through the math:
Current low sulfur diesel at 500PPM means it's 99.95% pure fuel.
ULSD at 15 PPM means it is 99.9985 pure fuel.
99.95/99.9985=99.95%
Sorry, my original statement of 99.5% the same was in error. USLD & LSD are really 99.95% the same!

One certainly won't experience a 2-4 MPG difference when the fuel is 1/20th of 1% different!!!

[Modified by Ric Woodruff, 4:43 AM 2-3-2003][HR][/HR]​
I cannot compare total difference without fuel analysis. I don't have the money for that, so assuming the advertised specs on the fuel I am purchasing are correct
http://www.ecdiesel.com/ARCO_ECD_1.pdf *notice the cetane?*
I would need to see specs to compare against, although this all seems pretty academic.
And I agree that anyone claiming 2-4 mpg loss seems suspicious. I just got 57.9 MPG on my last tank of ULSD.
Natureboy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.