VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from my inside VW source that it was decided today (2/3/03) that a recall should be officially launched after parts are stockpiled, within the next 30 to 60 days.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Re: VW To initiate Coil Pack Recall (TreyS)

trey -- i called VW and got a case# like you did for the 2 J CP's that I bought -- they called me back and stated that I have to have them installed be a dealership to get a refund -- have you heard this

·
Banned
1,125 Posts
Re: VW To initiate Coil Pack Recall (Wholsea)

If its true http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif but to be honest, ill believe it when i see it. I hope the parts the are replacing them with are reliable. Has anyone confirmed if the J coilpacks are failing as well?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: VW To initiate Coil Pack Recall (spaghetti_rules)

Jamie (VWVortex) seemed to imply in an earlier thread that "J"s may not be the ultimate solution to this. That was his opinion and not based on facts he had in hand.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: VW To initiate Coil Pack Recall (spaghetti_rules)

This news is brand new, as stated before, just announced today, They are building up supplies to hopefully do this recall within the next 30-60 days. Is this true, I cannot confirm, I have a reliable source (Who has also been sending me the letters and service bulletins on the subject) who heard directly from VW about the recall.
Its my understanding that these J packs may be defective as well.
To combat this VW is testing the Beru "E" packs (Hitachi) for longjevity and compatiability in the H/J designed motors. Hopefully they go with the Berus because my source also tells me that the Bremi company (Who makes the H/J packs) is filing bankruptcy protection.
Most of this is speculation, but it does come from a reliable source.
Take it for what its worth, I give no guarentees, but I believe the information to be accurate.

·
Registered
205 Posts

I'd think the rumor is pretty well grounded.
It's been reported elsewhere that VWoA has faxed dealers with an outline of the problem and a change in their policy so that the dealer can replace all remaining coil packs upon the second failure. (See http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=35556 )
The fax includes this statement:
As ignition coil parts availability increases for these models, customer satisfaction initiatives will be implemented to address these concenrs. The first in this series of initiatives is outlined below. As parts availability continues to improve for other models, you will be notified via additional warranty service circulars
Seems to me that the next step is going to be replacing all coil packs uon the first failure and then (since they used the plural "initiatives") a recall.
Ain't proof-positive but ...
(Just reinforces my analogy that watching VWoA and VWAG handle this situation is like 'Russia-watching' during the cold war
)

·
Registered
205 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Its my understanding that these J packs may be defective as well.[HR][/HR]​
There have been a handful of reports of defective "J" style coil packs -- nothing like the incidence rate of "H" failures. I'd have thought there'd be more reported failures if they were no better than the "H"s since we had reports of "H" failures with relatively low miles and short periods of ownership. (The "J"s have been in service as replacement parts since at least October if not earlier and were reportedly used on '03 Passats manufactured on or after 8/02.)
quote:[HR][/HR]To combat this VW is testing the Beru "E" packs (Hitachi) for longjevity and compatiability in the H/J designed motors. Hopefully they go with the Berus because my source also tells me that the Bremi company (Who makes the H/J packs) is filing bankruptcy protection.[HR][/HR]​
Interesting. There's also been a rumor of a new "K" style coil pack and one owner who reported that the "K" series was installed as a replacement on his car. A couple of other owners have reported that they received 'retrofitted' "E" coil packs (my term, not theirs). But almost everyone reports having received "J" style coil packs as replacements for failed coil packs.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: VW To initiate Coil Pack Recall (MN Snowman)

Yeah, they are using the J style packs, but I am hearing that because of the failures of the J packs as well, VW is looking into the Beru packs as a perminant solution.
Honestly, I think they need to hurry up and find the perminant solution, so owners don't have to go back and have their J packs replaced again...
-- Whol

·
Registered
173 Posts

Failing "J"s would be the proverbial "straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back" in terms of marketplace perception.
And that would explain a recall. If "J"s truly are starting to fail (and there has been some anecdotal evidence to support that thought), then VW cannot get a recall with reliable parts out there soon enough.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: VW To initiate Coil Pack Recall (Last VW)

quote:[HR][/HR]Failing "J"s would be the proverbial "straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back" in terms of marketplace perception.
And that would explain a recall. If "J"s truly are starting to fail (and there has been some anecdotal evidence to support that thought), then VW cannot get a recall with reliable parts out there soon enough.[HR][/HR]​
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that they are still using the "J" style coil packs as replacements. We're running a poll on the type of coil pack that's used to replace the failed one and nobody has reported a newer pack than a "J" Moreover, we've gotten two reports of replacements last week and both were "J"s.
Maybe they're stockpiling these ephemeral "K" style coil packs and keeping a lid on distributing 'em ???

·
Registered
23,931 Posts

What happened to VWs reaction that there won't be a recall because "there is no safety risk"
Sorry to say it fellows but they deserve the bad press that they are getting, I hope this hits 20/20 or 60 Minutes.
It would have been much better for them to say that they are working on a fix and will be doing a recall when they have the parts in stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: VW To initiate Coil Pack Recall (MN Snowman)

Stockpiling them would make sense if they were, indeed, planning on issuing a formal recall.
Let's just hope they test `em first!

[Modified by Last VW, 8:34 PM 2-3-2003]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.