VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Blauparts.com is pleased to release our 'Water Pump Impeller Controversy' video.

When nearing a timing belt and water pump replacement interval, many owners carefully research different timing belt kits and their individual components. A key component of any timing belt kit is the water pump. If you've researched water pumps at all, you may have noticed a controversy regarding the impeller material. Plastic or steel?

We've read some comments in the newsgroups and realize that helping Vw owners expand their knowledge regarding this subject is important. That's why Blauparts created this video that answers many of the questions regarding this subject. Such as:

• Why do many claim that 'plastic' water pump impellers are junk?
• Why have water pumps with 'plastic' impellers failed?
• Are water pumps with steel impellers always the best choice?
• What advancements have automobile manufacturers made to improve water pump reliability?
• How can you respect your car?

These questions and many more are answered in Blauparts' informative video. Enjoy!

Blauparts Vw Parts Department

·
Registered
961 Posts
FINALLY, a documented, concise presentation to DEBUNK PERPETUATING MYTHS especially on PassatWorld

Glad I chose two years ago to go with the explanations of my local dealer's VW techs advisor of using the "new" plastic impeller for my timing belt versus the still EXISTING nonsense of PassatWorld pundits insistence on a steel impeller.

Sad reality, most posters let their ego get in the way with a total disregard for
other viewpoints and hence reality. And that's why the infectiousness becomes
rampant.

Hopefully as awareness only begins to take hold, they might get off their high horses versus falling off:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Upon quick verification:

Your competitor (ECS Tuning) who's gaining apparent huge traction courtesy
of PassatWorld IMHO, ONLY offers Graf's Metal Impeller in their top of the line Ultimate Plus Kit! or even as a stand alone.

ECS Tuning does NOT offer any plastic impeller water pump let alone a PPS material type plastic impeller!:confused::screwy:

Is ECS Tuning solely a marketing organization without any test facilities or information based primers like BlauParts?

Curiously awaiting ECS Tuning's response.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sadly, I know of scores of individuals who heeded the advice of those on PassatWorld and bought the ECS Ultimate Plus Timing Belt kit containing the metal impeller. This has been going on for too many YEARS.

In a similar vein, I was challenged and ridiculed for over a year as a former PassatWorld member on a number of issues! One example is my NOT needing the infamous PCV sump pump as so many dense ones are just beginning to recognize the validity of my posted statements: that the B5.5 entailed many serious upgrades vs the loggerhead mentality pushed by the multitudes (concentration of B5 owners on PassatWorld).

Fortunately, I only succumb when it withstands my own scrutiny.

The Passat is filled with minefields galore and truly tests one's tenacity: witness the increasing onslaught of daily implosions on PassatWorld; seriously deserved paranoia with ownership; plummeting resale values.........................................

As a result of ALL of the above, the [email protected] has rightfully earned it's Badge as Unreliability.

Your [email protected]:

As cited on PassatWorld for many years: it's a moneypit.
And definitely NOT for the feint of heart.
Occupies too much mental processing space vs many other vehicles.

SPECIAL THANKS to BLAUFERNUGEN

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Ok, 02GLXWag6stk, I think we know how you feel. Calm down. ON topic, it's nice to see someone post the "other" viewpoint on water pump impellers. I've had both the "early" plastic fail, and the "later" plastic hold up well. Frankly, it would largely be a non-issue if you could get to the frickin' water pump the way you can on so many other cars.

Still, I expect this of German engineering. I used to be in the camera business; try fixing a German camera. You have to practically disassemble the entire thing to get to any particular working part. Sound familiar?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've had a new lease on life after PW!:) vs. dealing with Gestapo smoker who got bent by his own butt and sending out his pack of wolves: inflexible mind sets!

When it takes too much effort: NEGATIVE environment!

To the point:
You and I are the very few exceptions of using the "newer" plastic impeller water pump:
A truly thorough search under either of the two types reinforces my earlier post above (everyone believes on PW on metal impeller ONLY!.... validates.... because we, and maybe some others, chose the dealer to do the TB given the RISK exposure.

·
Registered
827 Posts
interesting video. i like that it shows the results of testing the PPS in all climates and different driving conditions. good stuff! the big thing for me before i got my timing belt kit regaurding the water pump was the metal impeller, only becase i read the horror stories both here and on pw. i felt confident just to have the piece of mind, but after seeing this video i will most likely get a pps impeller. thanks for the info blauparts! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So, seeing that I have a 2003 model manufactured in 06/2002, I probably, probably, have the PPS version of the impeller in the OEM water pump. Now I'm due for a timing belt job. I'm guessing that we're still recommending replacement of the water pump during that job, right?

Seems like the plastic impeller is fine. I do recall, at one point, talking with a tech at my dealership about this. While they were okay with the idea of using a metal impeller (if I wanted to supply my own parts), it seemed that if you were staying on top of maintenance, then the palstic would be fine.

I'll go with the PPS version. Thanks for the post and for developing the video. Nicely made!

·
Registered
827 Posts
you might get away without replacing it but to me its more for piece of mind and i know the condition of the parts. it doesnt take that much more effort. the thermostat is also recommended while your at it along with a coolant flush. when i took out my plastic impeller (note that it was the older stlye) it was very brittle and broke when i set it down on the floor in the garage. i know the metal one i put in will be better than the older style plastic one

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
02GLXWag6stk

Do you actually READ your posts? Most of which make no sense at all and have "big" words in them that you obviously do not know how to use in proper context.

As for the Plastic Vs Metal. I guess its personal opinion but I sure as hell trust metal over plastic.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the pleasing comments to passatworld. You must think your better then all of us over there :sly:

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
02GLXWag6stk

Do you actually READ your posts? Most of which make no sense at all and have "big" words in them that you obviously do not know how to use in proper context.
I'm guessing he reads them in his native language, then runs them through google translate.

Carry on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
jeez, Anson - are your cheerios still tasting like someone dunked them in urea?

On topic - Too many people got burned by failed plastic impellers in the B5 and early B5.5 model years. Old truths tend to continue to be passed on, even long after they are eventually challenged (I won't say proven wrong, because there's too much data to the contrary with the old plastic impellers) and/or new materials show up. I've only seen evidence of one metal impeller that failed, vice countless older plastic ones.

I'll wait until I see some real evidence from actual users that the newer plastic impeller lasts without failure prior to buying a water pump with one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.