VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I have never understood the obsession with diesels so many American forum users seems to have.
Americans want what they can't have. When we get it, we just want more. We aren't a consumer culture for nothing! :laugh:

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have never understood the obsession with diesels so many American forum users seems to have.
Until recently, what else could one buy that would offer 40-50mpg, good drive ability a manual transmission and wasn't a hybrid? Now both economy and performance differences are not so huge, never the less diesels still have their place for those who drive a lot.

If it makes you feel any better, the wagon obsession doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either.
Of course this is entirely subjective, but a lot of people think wagons look good. A wagon offers a similar footprint as a saloon, with significantly greater cargo capacity and roof line. Great for those who own pets/kids and don't want an suv.

I understand why someone would pick the wagon version of something, but the level of excitement it brings to this community seems... a bit excessive.
I understand its a lot of hype..but then were in an era where finally the wagon is re-appearing. Its like if SUVs almost died out and then 20 years later all of a sudden made a comeback. Except wagons are more euro so it appeases the Europhiles.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
23,824 Posts
Until recently, what else could one buy that would offer 40-50mpg, good drive ability a manual transmission and wasn't a hybrid? Now both economy and performance differences are not so huge, never the less diesels still have their place for those who drive a lot.

Of course this is entirely subjective, but a lot of people think wagons look good. A wagon offers a similar footprint as a saloon, with significantly greater cargo capacity and roof line. Great for those who own pets/kids and don't want an suv.
All of this! I wanted something that handled well, was somewhat reasonable, and got great fuel economy. I also don't like crossovers and would prefer to sit closer to the ground like a sedan.

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring
3,736 Posts
What do you say until recently? I'm talking about right now and the opinion people here have today.

The type of transmission have nothing do with it being diesel or not. There are plenty of gasoline powered cars with manual transmission. Of course diesel do usually offers better mileage. However gas is so cheap in the US and you do not have taxes that offset the higher initial cost of buying the diesel engine in the first place, so I'm not sure how much that actually matters in the end. I'm not sure what you mean with "good drive ability"? Are there being sold any cars at all that without good ability to drive?

I never said that diesel don't have their place for some or even many people. What I'm rather confused by though is that so many here seems to so enthusiastic about the diesel engines by them self regardless of what features they may or may not have. Basically how many sees manual transmissions.

·
Registered
659 Posts
What do you say until recently? I'm talking about right now and the opinion people here have today.

The type of transmission have nothing do with it being diesel or not. There are plenty of gasoline powered cars with manual transmission. Of course diesel do usually offers better mileage. However gas is so cheap in the US and you do not have taxes that offset the higher initial cost of buying the diesel engine in the first place, so I'm not sure how much that actually matters in the end. I'm not sure what you mean with "good drive ability"? Are there being sold any cars at all that without good ability to drive?

I never said that diesel don't have their place for some or even many people. What I'm rather confused by though is that so many here seems to so enthusiastic about the diesel engines by them self regardless of what features they may or may not have. Basically how many sees manual transmissions.
Until recently because the opinions and views from 2010 still affect how people see today.

Manual transmission=not a prius. yes we have had hybrids for a while. But nothing that offered a stick and the badly worded "good drive ability". A car that looks like a nice car, drives as well as a normal one and doesn't scream hybrid all over. Yes, a hybrid can be a drivers car, bit most of those available until recently wouldn't fall into that category. A diesel very well can.

I know petrol engines produce similar mpg and are in many ways better for daily driving. But I still like diesels. I can't speak for all people but I enjoy the engine and how even when its pushed hard it still offers competent economy. The VW tdi also has more torque then say, the Mazda 3.

It always takes a while for people to change their long-standing opinions. I'm sure 5 years from now TCL will see diesels in a different light. I probably will as well.

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring
3,736 Posts
Until recently because the opinions and views from 2010 still affect how people see today.

Manual transmission=not a prius. yes we have had hybrids for a while. But nothing that offered a stick and the badly worded "good drive ability". A car that looks like a nice car, drives as well as a normal one and doesn't scream hybrid all over. Yes, a hybrid can be a drivers car, bit most of those available until recently wouldn't fall into that category. A diesel very well can.

I know petrol engines produce similar mpg and are in many ways better for daily driving. But I still like diesels. I can't speak for all people but I enjoy the engine and how even when its pushed hard it still offers competent economy.

It always takes a while for people to change their long-standing opinions. I'm sure 5 years from now TCL will see diesels in a different light.
And you are of course free to like diesels. So are the rest of the car lounge too. I'm just think it is rather awkward that a lot of you seems to think of it as enthusiasts and drivers choice when similar car forums in Europe are filled with people claiming how much better petrol engines are for that.

Personally I would never have chosen a diesel engine if I we had the same gas prices, taxes and running costs as you do. The only reason I and lot of my countrymen have it simply because it so much cheaper to buy, own and run.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Given the corollary that the amount of cars the company will sell is inversely proportional to how much TCL gushes over a vehicle, they'll probably sell around 4 of them.

That said, I could maybe see myself in one if I have to move north in the next few years, which is a possibility. The W201 has to give out one of these days.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts