VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: (secondgen)

All freshly painted up, new mk4 calipers, rotors, new wheel bearings, SS lines. Still waiting on Bildon to get me my sphericals....

Still need a set of pads too.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Re: (secondgen)

Awesome. Love the knurling on the bars for adjustment. I'm going to be making a couple of these for me and my friend's rally cars. He bent two last weekend at a rally! One thing that I noticed on the VWMS mk3 kit car rear beam that differs from the ones that other people have made is that they mount the inner joints in a double shear mounting, instead of the single shear like you have.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Re: (Jetta2dr)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta2dr »
Awesome. Love the knurling on the bars for adjustment. I'm going to be making a couple of these for me and my friend's rally cars. He bent two last weekend at a rally! One thing that I noticed on the VWMS mk3 kit car rear beam that differs from the ones that other people have made is that they mount the inner joints in a double shear mounting, instead of the single shear like you have.

Yeah, i considered a double shear mount on the inners but for what I'll be using it for, it'd be a bit overkill i think. If i were to build another for a rallye spec car, it'd get doubled. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: VWMS Rear toe/camber prevention beam info? (secondgen)

i fraking love this build, it is a thing of beauty, the rigidity of the factory design coupled with just a bit more denial to the roll, just by taking some of the force out, it makes the base that much stronger, it will reduce changes to both camber and toe, because toe can only go so far and since toe now is on a leach the toe will stay in line, im worried about the transferance of vibration now that there is more rigidity, you most definatelly should use polyurethane bushings, so it keeps in line where it conects to the body, im having a problem with mine where i drive over an obstacle it crabs left, and squats then a few meters it inlifts my rear, i know my rear suspension is fried, and prolly forcing drifts has eaten my rear axle's toe and camber, how much would some one charge me to make this same kind of build for me?

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: VWMS Rear toe/camber prevention beam info? (vader_black)

Holy old thread Batman

Good to see people using the search function. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Re: VWMS Rear toe/camber prevention beam info? (vader_black)

Quote, originally posted by vader_black »
i fraking love this build, it is a thing of beauty, the rigidity of the factory design coupled with just a bit more denial to the roll, just by taking some of the force out, it makes the base that much stronger, it will reduce changes to both camber and toe, because toe can only go so far and since toe now is on a leach the toe will stay in line, im worried about the transferance of vibration now that there is more rigidity, you most definatelly should use polyurethane bushings, so it keeps in line where it conects to the body, im having a problem with mine where i drive over an obstacle it crabs left, and squats then a few meters it inlifts my rear, i know my rear suspension is fried, and prolly forcing drifts has eaten my rear axle's toe and camber, how much would some one charge me to make this same kind of build for me?

PM me.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Re: (idrivemyself)

Quote, originally posted by idrivemyself »
We're still waiting for Jarod to chime in...

what do I have to say?......the original pictures are from a friends car from 6+ years ago....and apparently my prices are way to much for anyone to really care about my info except maybe to take it and use it one there own.
~Jarod.

Modified by X K R O M X at 4:16 PM 6-2-2009

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Re: (speed51133!)

Quote, originally posted by speed51133! »
so do you have any more pictures? maybe some measurements too??

I will post the CAD and Solid Works images with all the details this evening.
`Jarod.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: FV-QR (choochoo)

I've only skimmed the posts in this thread, so please excuse any redundancy here.
I'm thinking that in a hard corner, the inside rear wheel is airborn, and need not apply.
Focusing on the outside rear wheel, you'd have forces trying to bend the trailing arm inwards
(toe out), and forces trying to tip the top of the wheel outwards. (positive camber)
Toe out, would kinda be like four wheel steering, helping the car to make the corner. In my book, (and i'm thinking autocrossing, and road courses, NOT Rallye) this would be a good thing.
I suspect that the second case, twisting the trailing arm so the wheel gains positive camber, is the lesser of the two. Based solely on the moment arm (trying to sound smart here) of the first case being longer than the second case, and, in the first case, you're bending a T section (in MKI) where the arm meets the lateral beam which would be significantly easier than twisting a tube the diameter and wall thickness of the trailing arm.
Regardless, even if you gain positive camber on the outside rear wheel, perhaps lifting some of the inner tread patch off the pavement, would this not also serve to help the rear end around come around and to some degree eliminate the natural understeering tendancy?
Thoughts?
Great thread, BTW

Modified by Rabbit6 at 9:41 PM 3-1-2010

·
Registered
819 Posts
it is a shame looking at all of these that everyone is missing a very simple concept when trying to reproduce this...

and this was orignially a Bill Scott Racing piece used in the early 80's in SCCA... i simply changed the design to work with a later trailing arm where the beam was no longer located at the pivot.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts