VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
it is a shame looking at all of these that everyone is missing a very simple concept when trying to reproduce this...

and this was orignially a Bill Scott Racing piece used in the early 80's in SCCA... i simply changed the design to work with a later trailing arm where the beam was no longer located at the pivot.
If its a shame then why don't you offer up this concept Mr. smug.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
it is a shame looking at all of these that everyone is missing a very simple concept when trying to reproduce this...

and this was orignially a Bill Scott Racing piece used in the early 80's in SCCA... i simply changed the design to work with a later trailing arm where the beam was no longer located at the pivot.
Do you mind sharing what you are talking about? Not really following what you are talking about, we're going to keep reinventing the wheel till we know about what was done in the past.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

What an enlightening post.

Regardless, it was a fun project for me when I was fresh out of school and itching to fab something up. And as a bonus, I enjoy how it makes my car feel on the road, all that matters to me.:peace:

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
after few years..... nobody tell us what happens......
What do you want to know? My setup is still in my car, I still love it. Never had any problems. Acts like a big rear sway bar. Takes some getting used to if you're used to driving a stock mk2.

Mine doesn't hit the tank, even if the car is lower than optimum. The beam mount ends aren't mounted double-shear like would have liked, but the beam is gusseted/reinforced with 1/4" plate, threaded, and then nutted on the back side. I've never had any issues. grade 10.9 bolts. The offset and height of my towers don't interfere with wheel fitment, regardless of the size/width. Wide wheels would hit the beam before the towers ever became an issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello,
everything i want to know is what happening with the behavior of the car on the track.
Does anyone have any information on what happens with the temperature of the tires ?? tire wear?
Does anyone tried to "tensioned" bar to see what happens with the geometry?
That is all....

I use the bridge because of mk3 GTI is 2cm wider than OE mk2

Now I'm about to do this and on my car and I'm interested in what happens as the feeling and is it better and improved standing on the track at the expense of the tires or ...... saving tire wear

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
My car hasn't been tracked, but compared to a big rear sway bar on a mk2/mk3, the beam setup behaves very similarly.

I can't speak to the tire life portion either because in the time I've had it on my car there's been multiple sets of wheels and none on long enough to tell if the beam made a notable difference. Bryson is the only other person i know that has run one on the street and track, and he tracked his car quite a bit so he'd have better on track info. If you could still get a hold of him.

You can pre-load the bars, but it will change the rear alignment. My car was setup with the bars "neutral" and the alignment set to as close to vertical (0* camber) and .5* toe in, IIRC. It's been so long I don't recall if those alignment specs are accurate though.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
81 - 100 of 107 Posts