VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Transmission cost (spockcat)

I'll just go with the $11,000 then since there seems to some good documentation of that price.
Sooooo...
I really hope that spending $11,000 plus labor to replace the transmission when my Touareg has 50,000 miles will not also be considered normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Transmission cost (neloho)

Almost all Touaregs have some sort of binding. But that just comes with the Torsen center diff. That is what you get. You may not always feel it, but it is there. As for the extreme cases, I have felt it on a number of Touaregs. There is a fix, your dealer is just incompetant. Either replace the stepper motor, flash the AWD module, or replace the transfer case if all else fails. Have the dealer cotanct the field supervisor (QTM). And you can trust me when I say that VW is not ignoring your problem, they are working on a solid fix, just give it time. They are not going to give you information that they are not sure about until they are absolutley positive.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: VWoA says drivetrain binding and chatter is NORMAL (neloho)

I have no binding and chatter...
Is like they told me that the stutter of death where the gas pedal does nothing for 10 seconds or more is normal too, or where Audi told me my headlight that jiggles up and down like a go-go dancer (but only one of them) is also 'Normal'... I HATE these guys!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Re: Transmission cost (brianvw)

BrianVW,
Thank you for espousing the company position.
The stepper motor has been changed TWICE.
The AWD Module has been changed.
The new AWD module has been reflashed multiple times.
The dealer, who is quite competent, was going to replace the transfer case until VWoA SAID NO.
This is not a new situation. It has been ongoing for several months. The field supervisor and the regional manager are well aware of what is going on.
And on your statement...
Quote, originally posted by brianvw »
Almost all Touaregs have some sort of binding

Is that to say that I should accept and live with this malfunction because ALMOST all Touaregs have it to one degree or another.

Oh, one more thing,
Why don't the Cayenne's bind and chatter?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Re: Transmission cost (brianvw)

Brian, I don't know what binding is, but is anyone making any progress on the chattering noise? Do you work in Westlake or at a dealer?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: VWoA says drivetrain binding and chatter is NORMAL (PabloP)

Quote, originally posted by PabloP »

I don't think $3k would buy you a Golf transmission.

Modified by PabloP at 3:45 PM 8-26-2004

$17,000 would buy you a Golf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Transmission cost (neloho)

My first Touareg was turned back in as being a lemon. Your's is overdue in my opinion. Check the lemon law in your state. Usually three major failures is the standard. My second Touareg has a 61xxx VIN and seems much better except for windshield condensation from the AC.

·
Registered
226 Posts

VWOA is killing this brand in the states. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
102 Posts
Wow, you guys have had problems! I have a VIN 24XXX and there is some tire scrub that was noticed upon the first thousand miles or so, and there was some recalcitrance to turn smoothly at the slowest speeds, like a three point turn, but I have never had the earth shaking chatter effect or anything audible to complain about!
Hell, I just went to the dealer for a pair of fresh wiper blades under warranty, and that was the first time into to see them! (Good thing too, these blades cost $27.75 each list price, but they are the easiest design to replace I have ever seen! Fantastically simple, which is a blessing...)
I had a 1991 Audi 200 Quattro, which was a performance car, and I never got more than 20K miles out of a set of V or Z rated tires, but that is normal for the type of tire. Rather, the wear patterns were even and the backs wore along with the fronts, which I expect from the Touareg. I now have just shy of 8K miles on my T-Reg.
I wish it drove a bit tighter, that's all, like the Audi sedans did, flat and fast thru all turns. I like to apex my way down the road!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When the Honda Del Sol first came out the roofs leaked like crazy. The factory in Japan said they told the owners that it was 'normal' for a removable hardtop to leak... American Honda said that wouldn't work in the US so the factory fixed the problem.
I know, I was at AHMC at the time.

·
Registered
46,798 Posts
Re: VWoA says drivetrain binding and chatter is NORMAL (chickdr)

Quote, originally posted by chickdr »
Sorry Brain- you are dead wrong on this one. I drove a Porsche Cayenne S with the same drivetrain- less the motor- and it had NONE of the binding noted by many here.

Could be that the Cayenne had less noticeable binding issues because of the 38/62 front/rear split.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Re: VWoA says drivetrain binding and chatter is NORMAL (spockcat)

spockcat,
Just wondering if your Touareg has the binding and chattering.
It has been so bad on mine that you could stand across the street and hear the chattering while you watched the whole vehicle vibrate.
If this can be fixed by changing the torque distribution, maybe VW should look into that.

·
Registered
46,798 Posts

I haven't noticed it in either my first car or my second car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: VWoA says drivetrain binding and chatter is NORMAL (spockcat)

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »

Could be that the Cayenne had less noticeable binding issues because of the 38/62 front/rear split.

nope. my loaner didnt make the noise.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Quote, originally posted by neloho »
spockcat,
Just wondering if your Touareg has the binding and chattering.
It has been so bad on mine that you could stand across the street and hear the chattering while you watched the whole vehicle vibrate.
If this can be fixed by changing the torque distribution, maybe VW should look into that.

This is fascinating. If you still have it after Sept. 23 (I'm too busy until then), I'm going to drive up there and take a listen for myself, if that's ok with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have been talking with VWoA about this for a over a week. The dealer has been fantastic, but their hands are tied. Even though they agree with us that there is still a problem, they have been instructed by VWoA to "conclude the service, note the problem as being resolved and return the vehicle".
Since the binding and chatter are now considered normal, I suppose that all of you with Touaregs that do not bind and chatter during low-speed tight turns should schedule a service to have the binding and chattering feature enabled on your
Touareg.
Man, honestly.. I just created an actual account. So that I could laugh at this. On record.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts