VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember when you first brought your new VW home? You used the windshield washers for the first time, and mmmmm. What a nice smell. Well, I have been searching for the part number to that windshield washer solvent here, but have not seen it. It is ZVW 177 101. Here's what the label looks like:

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Have you verified with your own sniffer that it is in fact the smell-good stuff?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
Have you verified with your own sniffer that it is in fact the smell-good stuff?

tee hee hee...yep, just before I took the CASE to the car!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (BuFFaloGLI247)

Quote, originally posted by BuFFaloGLI247 »
I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHERE TO GET THIS STUFF!

Your VW dealer should be able to order (part number on label).
Comes 6 to a case.
They are 1/2 gallons each (64 oz).
List is $3.32 each.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (Chuibacca)

Quote, originally posted by Chuibacca »
Comes 6 to a case.
List is $3.32 each.

That's alot of smackers for windshield washer fluid when you can get the $0.99 gallon at <insert corner store name here>.

I don't like how it streaks, anyway, so I'll probably dilute it more than stated.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: (QcGTI)

Cut and pasted from my post here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2433856
This may well be the most useless post on the entire Vortex, but I thought I'd take a moment to compile all I know about the various windshield washer fluids that are available from VW. I've seen many posts wondering about part numbers, the distinctive smell of the factory fill, etc... My aim is to make this the one-stop location for all things VW washer fluid related. If anyone has anything to add, I'll update this post. Perhaps this will make it into a FAQ or two somewhere.....
Some things to note:
I'm not sure where to post this. Hopefully the mods will allow a little crossposting to fly because it doesn't really fit any category very well. I'm trying the 337/20th/GLI, (my home) the MkIV, (the most traffic) and the Phaeton (because PanEuropean is a great moderator and the Phaeton folks really seem to enjoy the arcane stuff.) If the three threads become unmanageable I'll have the mods lock it up. It kind of defeats the one-stop approach at the moment, but I'd like all those interested to see it.
Prices are pulled off of worldimpex.com
I don't know what the "factory" fill is or where it happens (factory, port, dealer?)

I've culled the depths of the Vortex and come up with the following three variations of VW washer fluid. There may be more.
ZVW 177 901
Windshield Washer Solvent
Concentrate
16 fl. OZ. (473 ml)
$3.65 list
This is blue in color and contains methanol and a surfactant. It is a concentrate, with a basic 1/1 ratio with water offering freezing protection to -20F (the entire mixing ratio table is visible in the photos.) Also interesting to note about this fluid are the various restrictions and warnings placed on it by California and Texas. Forget what the engineers calculated in the table, they're going to legislate how this product may be used. California requires a 1/99 ratio with water. That would be a 12.5 gallon batch. Right.

ZVW 177 101
Windshield Washer Solvent, Anti-Freeze & Bug Remover
Rain Repellant Formula
64 fl. OZ. (1892 ml)
$3.65 list
This is darker blue in color and contains methanol and a surfactant. I'm guessing this is the same as the 901, just premixed and with more dye. Probably a 1/1 ratio, as the Peoples Republic of California only requires you to dilute it 1/50. For those of you keeping track at home, this means that even though the bottle is four times larger, it really is the equivalent of two 901 bottles plus two bottles of water. It being the same price at worldimpex.com, this is clearly the better deal.

ZVW 177 904
Premium Windshield Washer Solvent
Concentrate
16 fl. OZ. (473 ml)
$4.29 list
This is yellow in color and contains isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), surfactant and glycol ether. It is also a concentrate, with a basic 1/1 ratio with water offering freezing protection to -5F (the entire mixing ratio table is visible in the photo.) Apparently California isn't so worried about isopropyl alcohol and glycol, as they allow much higher concentrations. This is also labeled as distributed by VW Canada while the 901 is not, perhaps due to similar environmental/consumer protection requirements?

All together now

Feel free to post comments and corrections. If you're using the $.79 blue stuff and can't understand why anyone would buy their washer fluid at the dealer, you're not alone. However, you won't contribute anything to this thread by pointing that out.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Re: VW's stock Rain Repellant Windshield Washer Solvent (Chuibacca)

on a similar note, is there a way to make my computer display stop telling me to top off my fluid (without actualy topping it off). i know im lazy but seriously i dont need to know everytime i turn my car on that im low on washer fluid

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: (Chuibacca)

Quote, originally posted by Chuibacca »

Comes 6 to a case.
List is $3.32 each.

LOL....I love how i was in my local VW parts dept the other week and they were trying to sell me 1 bottle for $7

·
Registered
938 Posts
Re: (NaterGator86)

Quote, originally posted by NaterGator86 »
For more products that "smell so good you just want to eat them", check out various tire shines. Zaino really gets me going, as does turtle wax.

hell yea ever use "ICE" from turtle wax? smells awesome and works awesome as well lol.
and windsheild washer fluid from VW is the best thing about a dirty day.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Re: VW's stock Rain Repellant Windshield Washer Solvent (Chuibacca)

I too was enamored with the original fill of VW washer fluid. However, after dumping $12 worth of hand-mixed ZVW 177 901 into my GLI that had just started to indicate that it was low, and NOT filling it, I began my search for a more reasonably-priced alternative.
I can't afford Dom Perignon, but I would like to find Perrier.
So far, I've had little luck with the $3-$6/gal stuff being either no better than $0.79 blue or only slightly better. Not good enough to justify their price.
Any suggestions?
P.S. While ZVW 177 901 does seem like very, very good stuff, I'm not certain that it's the original fill. It doesn't seem as dark or as sudsy even though I used the strongest mixture suggested.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: VW's stock Rain Repellant Windshield Washer Solvent (Qest)

Quote, originally posted by Qest »

P.S. While ZVW 177 901 does seem like very, very good stuff, I'm not certain that it's the original fill. It doesn't seem as dark or as sudsy even though I used the strongest mixture suggested.

I can suggest maybe trying the ZVW 177 101.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (N.Y.MK5GLI)

Quote, originally posted by N.Y.MK5GLI »
LOL....I love how i was in my local VW parts dept the other week and they were trying to sell me 1 bottle for $7

Maybe that's list for New York
Although, it does have Methanol in it...

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: VW's stock Rain Repellant Windshield Washer Solvent (00VR6Tong)

Quote, originally posted by 00VR6Tong »
on a similar note, is there a way to make my computer display stop telling me to top off my fluid (without actualy topping it off). i know im lazy but seriously i dont need to know everytime i turn my car on that im low on washer fluid

Yep. It can be done with the VagCom. It's in the same menu as the seatbelt chime and the brake wear indicator. It's not a long-coding string but rather an adaptation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.