VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back a little while ago from GRD Performance here in the Chicago area where we ran our R32 on their DynaPack AWD hub dyno. The DynaPack hub dyno is considered one of the most accurate dynos available and is unique from the more common "roller" dynos (DynoJet and Mustang) in that you remove the wheels from the car and attach the DynaPack pods directly to the hub:

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
The goal here is for us to get a baseline dyno number for our stock R32. The dyno numbers below can NOT be compared to any other dyno run or any other R32 as there are far too many differences in individual cars, individual dynos, weather, conditions, etc., etc.
Also, the following dyno info is taken from an AWD dyno and is NOT comparable to the numbers you get on a regular FWD/RWD dyno run as there is more driveline loss associated with routing power from the engine crank, through the transmission and through the AWD driveline. We also are not going to draw any conclusions as to what kind of crank horsepower our car is making as there is NO reliable rule of thumb as to the driveline loss. Even the stock horsepower that VW quotes is suspect as we have it on reliable sources that the R32 and TT3.2 indeed make the same horsepower (we'll try and confirm this on this dyno in the future) even though VW markets the R32 with 240hp and Audi markets the TT3.2 with 250. Either way, we can't simply take the 240hp VW claims and divide it buy the hub horsepower we got on our car as the R32 may not be making a true 240hp stock.
So, again, our goal here was to see what kind of horsepower and torque our R32 is getting down to the hubs on a DynaPak dyno as a baseline for further modifications. We also wanted to see what affect on power disconnecting the exhaust flapper valve would have. The stock R32 exhaust has a flapper valve built into it that is activated by a vacuum line. When the flap is closed, the exhaust is much quieter up till about 3,000 RPM where it will open up to allow more flow through. This is reportedly built into the exhaust to help the R32 pass noise regulations in a variety of different markets. We had heard reports that disconnecting the vacuum line to the exhaust would potentially free up more power. So we did a few runs bone stock and a few with the exhaust flapper valve vacuum line disconnected and plugged.
Bone stock our R32 put about 208.2 horsepower to the hubs. Torque on the stock car peaked at 206.4 lb-ft. The dip you see in the curve is most likely the variable intake manifold kicking in.
With the exhaust flapper disconnected peak horsepower went up to 212.3hp and torque was up to 210.9 lb-ft at the hubs.

Horsepower Dyno Chart:

Torque Dyno Chart:

We'll have a complete article on this along with a few comparison dynographs from the same dyno in the future. For instance a stock WRX puts around 159hp and 178 lb-ft of torque to the hubs on this same dyno. A stock B5 Audi S4 (twin-turbo V6) puts out 200hp and 225 lb-ft of torque (although you have to look at the graphs as the S4 makes more power under the whole curve than the R32).
Anyway, that's where we stand right now. We'll have to see what we do next from here...

-jamie

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: VWvortex R32 Stock Dyno Numbers ([email protected])

I would say either the R32 is making more power than the published peak HP of 240HP or it's got one hell of an efficient driveline for an AWD car. I'm computing a 14.4% HP loss which is very low for an AWD car.
The WRX comes in at 30%! Terrible! If the same loss is considered for the STI, it's only making 210HP at the hubs...which leads me to believe it's driveline must be updated for it to be THAT much quicker than the regular WRX. Of course, these are peak numbers only and just for HP...
I think it's safe to say that the R32 makes probably between 245-255 HP.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: VWvortex R32 Stock Dyno Numbers (Integrale)

don't forget the fact that the wheels are off. Dynapacks tend to read a lil high due tot he fact that it measures the power at the hubs before it get to the road.

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: VWvortex R32 Stock Dyno Numbers (omeezy)

Quote, originally posted by omeezy »
don't forget the fact that the wheels are off. Dynapacks tend to read a lil high due tot he fact that it measures the power at the hubs before it get to the road.

True but the majority (probably 99%) of the power loss is through the drive line. so factoring in that maybe 1-2 HP drop at most I'd say.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Integrale »

True but the majority (probably 99%) of the power loss is through the drive line. so factoring in that maybe 1-2 HP drop at most I'd say.

Umm, 18" wheels will create more than 1-2 hp drop!

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: VWvortex R32 Stock Dyno Numbers (milo)

Quote, originally posted by milo »

Umm, 18" wheels will create more than 1-2 hp drop!

Really? You've got the data to back it up?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

Really, do you have data to back that up

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

Sure I do...look up any automotive technical journal regarding powertrain loss and you'll learn that most of the mechanical losses are in the driveline and transmission...not the wheels.
So anyways...do you have any data claiming otherwise?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

Sure I do...look up any automotive technical journal regarding powertrain loss and you'll learn that most of the mechanical losses are in the driveline and transmission...not the wheels.
So anyways...do you have any data claiming otherwise?

Yes I do! Go look it up in Automobile Magazine they featured a EVO 8 with different size wheel(16"-17"-18"). It showed the 18" wheel lost the most hp, compared to the smaller wheels!

Modified by milo at 7:28 PM 3-19-2004

·
Registered
64 Posts

What is the split between the front and rear axles? I heard that over 75% of the power goes to the front wheels on the R32? Is this correct? If so that may account for the smaller HP slip compared to the WRX/STI. I maybe mistaken again, but the WRX/STI is a true AWD, not my rear wheels also get some power occasionally 4MOTION.
Does anybody have the truth?

·
Banned
198 Posts
i can't understand how rim size (taller rim, lower profile tire) can lead to power loss if the overall wheel (tire and rim) height/width/circumference/weight are the same.... weird sh*t
I think there must be a weight and overall dimension difference btwn the wheels they've tested! I bet if they all had the same weight and dimension, power loss would not occur btwn the diff wheels! also, i bet if you have an 18 rim and tires that are lighter than the 16's, with the overall dimensions be'n the same, the 18's will lose less HP, cause less power would be wasted in order to spin them...?
simple physics?
force = mass x velocity..
so, speed = force/mass, therefore, the greater the mass, the less speed u will have! i hope i did that right...

Modified by H2O2H at 11:50 PM 3-19-2004

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Re: (H2O2H)

Quote, originally posted by H2O2H »
i can't understand how rim size (taller rim, lower profile tire) can lead to power loss if the overall wheel (tire and rim) height/width/circumference/weight are the same.... weird sh*t
I think there must be a weight and overall dimension difference btwn the wheels they've tested! I bet if they all had the same weight and dimension, power loss would not occur btwn the diff wheels! also, i bet if you have an 18 rim and tires that are lighter than the 16's, with the overall dimensions be'n the same, the 18's will lose less HP, cause less power would be wasted in order to spin them...?
simple physics?
so, speed = force/mass, therefore, the greater the mass, the less speed u will have! i hope i did that right...

TRUE DAT! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

Quote, originally posted by milo »

Yes I do! Go look it up in Automobile Magazine they featured a EVO 8 with different size wheel(16"-17"-18"). It showed the 18" wheel lost the most hp, compared to the smaller wheels!

Modified by milo at 7:28 PM 3-19-2004

And how much is the difference made?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: (H2O2H)

Quote, originally posted by H2O2H »
simple physics?

Rotational physics is not so simple. When more of the mass is concentrated to the out side of the rims, intertia increases, wich takes more (horse)power to overcome.

·
Banned
198 Posts
understandable! However, you missed the part where I said SAME DIMENSIONS, diff weights... Oh, btw, I wasn't yell'n there, was to lazy to use """"...
Inertia, glad to hear someone knows there stuff!

·
Banned
1,757 Posts

I would say either the R32 is making more power than the published peak HP of 240HP or it's got one hell of an efficient driveline for an AWD car. I'm computing a 14.4% HP loss which is very low for an AWD car.
The WRX comes in at 30%! Terrible!

whats the WRX put down on a Dynapack Hub dyno ?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Re: VWvortex R32 Stock Dyno Numbers (Dinamael)

Quote, originally posted by Dinamael »
I'm curious what the little hump in the torque curve is caused by (4K RPM).

That would be from the "VSR" style intake manifold. Same concept as the Schrick manifold that everybody is more familiar with than the original VSR. This style of manifold is found on all of the mk4 VR's, even the 12v.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts