VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard today from a local dealer that:
(1) W8's are done as of 2004 model year;
(2) Therefore, what is out there now is all that will be out there for good (ie: no more ordering a W8)
while this screams "high pressure must sell now" sales tactic, i have heard that the W8s are going to eventually disappear...i called another dealer and they confirmed the same thing.
anybody in the know have anything to say?
(plans to get a W8 Wagon might speed up...)
mm

·
Banned
9,572 Posts
Re: W8 is over? (panic) - any dealers feel free to respond (backpacker)

Pure and simple; this a car to avoid.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: W8 is over? (Saintor)

Quote, originally posted by Saintor »

...because.....?

·
Banned
9,572 Posts
Re: W8 is over? (backpacker)

Because
1. It is a depreciation disaster.
2. Orphan car. This car will cost an arm *and a leg* to repair.
3. Performance wise, it does not deliver; it barely does (if it does) what a G35/TL/CTS can achieve with a lot less gas.

·
Registered
842 Posts

The fact that they aren't being made anymore does not make it a depreciation disaster - the fact that VW isn't making them anymore might actually help resale...
Your probably right on the repair cost and the performance/luxury aspect of the W8 although the TL and CTS do not offer all wheel drive and the G35 does not come in a wagon (and has rear drive biased all wheel drive that's great for performance, but not especially effective in the snow belt. I can't comment on the CTS as I've never driven one, but the W8 feels much nore refined and relaxed than the G35 or TL. I think a closer comparison would be Mercedes or Audi 4matic/quattro and the W8 is a better value than the 8 cylinder models and better performer than the 6 cylinder models.
Not a lot of people know about the W8 so I think that the market niche that wants one is very small - but those that want one really do want one and I don't see that changing because VW is not making them anymore...in fact I would think that would help resale rather thatn hurt it. I guess it comes down to perspective...and I'm quite happy with what I have now and will deal with depreciation issues (or not) way down the road and will look into the extended warranty.

Modified by ferdinand1 at 2:26 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Because

...unless i get a good deal on a 2nd hand one (ie: demo - one of the local dealers' wife is driving one that will save me several $$$ off MSRP on new....
...and at any rate, i buy a car to drive it for 10 years into the ground, so i dont care too much if it loses value....
Quote »
as will any that costs $55k (CDN) +

Quote »
3. Performance wise, it does not deliver; it barely does (if it does) what a G35/TL/CTS can achieve with a lot less gas.

...which does not come in a wagon (and thus is no good for the puppy or the future young'uns, is smaller, and more of a sports car anyway).
for the packagae i am looking for, the W8 is it, so unless there are serious problems with the engine or something....

Modified by backpacker at 8:28 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
93 Posts

There are still brand new 2003 W8's on some dealer lots (Herzog-Meier in Portland, OR has 3 on its lot).
You should be able to steal one of those.
The W8 is very much a niche car. I loved my 2003 enough to have ordered a 2004.5 W8 Variant in December. It arrived about 3 weeks ago. I love this car for all it is and all it isn't. I had it immediately "de-badged" because one of the things I love about it is that NO ONE knows what it is. Will it cost more to maintain? Absolutely. Do I care. Not a wit. Will it depreciate faster? Maybe, maybe not. There are very few 2004.5 W8 Variants out there. I plan to keep it a long time, which means the concept of depreciation is meaningless. I know some will disagree with me. I even ordered it in Samoa Red, that colour that you either love or hate. I don't like it as much as my Pacific Blue Pearl one, but I also appreciate that in this colour, no one notices it. There is NOTHING on the market that is like this car. Every time I drive it I appreciate it. Thank God VW had the courage and lack of marketing foresight to develop this car. It simply was not for everyone. The Phaeton will be the same. It will be a marketing disaster for VW, but the few who own them will love them.
My 2.5 cents worth!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: W8 is over? (Rex Flash)

I completely agree with Rex FLash.
I have a 2002 W8 Wagon and I love it. I have traditionally changed my car every 2 years. I have had 2 Acura TLs, Toyotas, etc., but I absolutely love my W8 and intend to keep it for a very long time. I don't care about the cost - I love the car. End of story.
And by the way, when others tell you all the bad parts, and suggest that a G35 or a TL is a better choice, find out first if they actually have a W8 first. A 1/2 hour test drive doesn't make for a reliable critic.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: W8 is over? (BrightTL)

Quote, originally posted by BrightTL »
I completely agree with Rex FLash.
I have a 2002 W8 Wagon and I love it. I have traditionally changed my car every 2 years. I have had 2 Acura TLs, Toyotas, etc., but I absolutely love my W8 and intend to keep it for a very long time. I don't care about the cost - I love the car. End of story.
And by the way, when others tell you all the bad parts, and suggest that a G35 or a TL is a better choice, find out first if they actually have a W8 first. A 1/2 hour test drive doesn't make for a reliable critic.

thanks.
i think that is now the plan. only issue is i dont think i will be able to find a 6spd...oh well...i guess tip will do. having driven a 6spd W8 sedan, though, i can imagine that even with the auto/tip, it still hauls some serious bum.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Well, just picked up my '04 W8 that my dealer ordered in for me. I decided on a Paciific Blue. It took a few weeks and wasn't a dealer trade. Thanks to all that had sent photos and advice before their Pacific Blues and on suspension info. (Rex was one of 'em:) Glad to see you had gotten your new one as well. Interesting on the Infinity comparison. I test drove the GX 35 AWD . I noted the similar advertised HP and thought I'd give it a go. There is a BIG difference between the performance of the W8 and the GX35. Some number crunchers might prove me wrong, but while the Infiniti was very capable- it seemed as tho it reached it's torque much higher. In my opinion, the W8 had balls from the beginning and didn't know when to quit. Tho the Infiniti's suspension was tight, it didn't want to hold on the road and started to washboard as I was doing a tight curve on an on ramp. W8 club? Count me in. . . http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PS Armstrong in Gladstone, OR has a SWEET Blue Spirit W8 w/ Trip on the used lot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: W8 is over? (tom plum)

Some people here just don't seem to understand that a car can add up to more than the sum of its parts. Most of us like these cars because they have something we can't describe, and it makes them better than other cars with comparable specs.

·
Registered
553 Posts

hmm, a "depreciation disaster"...thats funny...the Passat has the highest resale value of any other car in its class(after 3 years)...
The W-8 is also THE only 8 cylinder, true all wheel drive car in its class(under 45k)....the only car that comes close is the new Audi S4....
Also, W-8's tend to be VERY tight from the factory...not totally broken in till almost 10k....they do free up a bit for the first 5k or so...drive one with 7-10k or more....night and day difference in performance;)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Re: W8 is over? (Funki)

I will chime in here because I actually shopped all three cars mentioned here. The determining factor Passat = AWD, WAGON, 270HP, ALL OPTIONS for $34K or the TL or Infiniti.
I feel sorry for those of you who never have actually had the benefit to drive one of these beautiful machines for an extended period of time, you have so missed out. I have had nearly 900lbs of guys in the car (4 of us) and this car will easily accelerate all the way to its MPH governor. I have had people who own a C5 Corvette and Nissan 350Z ride with me and tell me how quiet and stable the car feels at 130+ MPH and how surprised they were at how fast it accelerated to that speed.
Too bad to see it go, but I am so glad I bought mine while I still had the chance.
Depreciation - bwahahahaha, boy this is a good reason to not buy a car.
FYI, all new cars = depreciation = bad investment.
Cost to fix - take some time and read some of the car magazines's long term test reports - still nothing but great things to say about their W8's. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by cooleremail at 6:55 AM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

NOT TRUE - It's a great car plain and simple. If I could afford it, I would have gooten the W8!!! Go for it!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

Because

1.Have you looked for a Corrado SLC VR6 lately ?? In great shape they still command a pretty dollar and that's 10 years after they went out of production.
2. Parts will be available thru VW for at least 10 years and there ain't a car on the road that's cheap to repair.
3. With the 6 speed, I've never had trouble taking at TL or G35 let alone a CTS

The car is a beauty and a joy to drive. I get more compliments than I can count. Friday in traffic on the way home, a guy in an Astro van pulls up on my right and gave me his business card, stating that if I ever wanted to sell my car to call him first. He loves it and wants one badly. Cruising along at 150+ yesterday afternoon with an M3 convertible in my rearview mirror reminded me why I bought this car....

Modified by VWGUY4EVER at 2:10 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: W8 is over? (mr.vw)

Quote, originally posted by mr.vw »
The W-8 is also THE only 8 cylinder, true all wheel drive car in its class(under 45k)....the only car that comes close is the new Audi S4....

agreed. i have always said this car is a bargin. 8-CYL, Sedan or Wagon, 6-spd, AWD, German............and priced $15k less than the next closest thing!?
oh yeah, and parts!? while the W8 may go away in the short term, the W12 will soon be coming to us in both the Phaeton and A8......(just imagine a twin turbo W12 in a RS8
)

·
Banned
9,572 Posts
Re: W8 is over? (VWGUY4EVER)

Quote, originally posted by VWGUY4EVER »

1.Have you looked for a Corrado SLC VR6 lately ?? In great shape they still command a pretty dollar and that's 10 years after they went out of production
2. Parts will be available thru VW for at least 10 years and there ain't a car on the road that's cheap to repair.
3. With the 6 speed, I've never had trouble taking at TL or G35 let alone a CTS

1. How is it related? W8 is not used elsewhere. After all, this is only a Passat, not an highly fashionable Coupe.
2. We have already heard of unsanely priced repairs on W8. When the warranty will be out... ouch.
3. Funny that a W8 6 speed manual 0-60mph was done in 6.7s by Car&Driver, a full second slower than a TL 6 speed. Even an automatic TL is quicker than that. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts