VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

W8 oil change costs 127$

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  vwnut84 
#1 ·
Ouch. thats going to hurt

#6 ·
Re: W8 oil change costs 127$ (spongebob_squarepants)

I'll tell you that I saw this car for the first time yesterday and that engine is CRAMMED in there. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I for one would NOT want to work on this car myself...
EZ

#7 ·
Re: W8 oil change costs 127$ (EZ)

I was at a dealer checking out on today (a friend of mine works there). The engine redefines cramming - it has less space than a Corrado has with its VR6.
After talking to the sales manager - apparently all the tech can do with the engine in the car is belts, plugs, airfilter, headlight bulbs - anything more and the motor has to come out the car, to get the the battery the factory stress bar has to come out. Apparently if their is any kind of motor warranty issues they are not even supposedto attempt fixing it - it's a swap to a new motor and the old motor is sent back to Germany.

#8 ·
Re: W8 oil change costs 127$ (WolfGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]to get the the battery the factory stress bar has to come out. [HR][/HR]​
How does that make sense? The battery is in the same exact location as it is on all other B5 Passats. All stress bars are also a solid part of the body. The double bulkhead (firewall) is reinforced more than a regular Passat, but I don't think that really makes a difference in the case of changing a battery.
-DVScott

#9 ·
Re: W8 oil change costs 127$ (EZ)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'll tell you that I saw this car for the first time yesterday and that engine is CRAMMED in there. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I for one would NOT want to work on this car myself...
EZ[HR][/HR]​
agreed. im dreading the moment when a w8 comes in and wants an oil change

#10 ·
Re: W8 oil change costs 127$ (AxeAngel)

my friend has a 93 Audi V8. That sucker takes 8 liters of oil, and the oil filter is a giant can the size of a 2l pop bottle. Im wondering if VW is doing the same sort of thing with this engine. if they are, that sux!!. Oil changes have to be done often, so why complicate things.

#14 ·
Re: W8 oil change costs 127$ (TGC)

TGC is right, I work at a vw dealer in NY and there is no way that an oil change on it is going to cost $127.....The oil filter is easily accessable on it (lower passenger front) and is does not need synthetic (The bullitin said three different types of oil, one of them being the TDI oil (Castrol Syntec 5w-30)
Just FYI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.