VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I am not a VW guy and I'm not even posting this for myself, but my boss is thinking of picking up a W8 6spd Passat wagon and is wondering whether or not it's a good idea.
Are these disasters or relatively solid?
Here's the car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...l1259
Thoughts? What should he look into and ask about?

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (Wanganrunner)

take your money and buy a 00-02 audi a6 4.2, you will be more satisfied.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (Slimjimmn)

I you cant fix the W8 yourself it can be a disaster.
I do all my own work on both of mine. otherwise I'd be broke by now.

A few too many dollars per mile in labor than other models but on sick car with the 6 and upgraded "sport" suspension. I love my 04 wagon. wife loves the sedan. Faster than a lot of R32's but they wont say that at VW for some reason. Personally the wagons are way nice at the track days. the sedan bucks the tail.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (KubvanTurbo)

I dont think its worth the risk to buy one. The cost to repair is so extremely high that you have to considering totalling a car worth over $10,000. There's also not a lot of places [even VW dealerships] that really know how to fix it. Not good bang for the buck from a support perspective. Your boss can do better with a lot of other choices of cars.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (flavin42)

What are you talking about? these cars are so de valued if you get a good one its a steal...
mine was 42k got for 27k with 6k miles. no they are turning for 15k Or LESS
you must get one with the six speed and option sport suspension and BBS cause they got way better stuff from the S4 and the basics did not.
Sure they got problems but if it is serviced and nice driving owner there are a lot less problems..... Ive thrashed mine for 60k and had two sets of brakes, three sets of tires ( cam tensioners under warranty ) alt belt, ballance shaft belt, water pump ( warranty ) and a front wheel bearing in that entire time. Ok the four heater motors sucked to replace but all in all for 60 k... not that bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (Wanganrunner)

Quote, originally posted by Wanganrunner »
Now, I am not a VW guy and I'm not even posting this for myself, but my boss is thinking of picking up a W8 6spd Passat wagon and is wondering whether or not it's a good idea.
Are these disasters or relatively solid?
Here's the car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...l1259
Thoughts? What should he look into and ask about?

An extended warranty. No warranty = no sale.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote, originally posted by KubvanTurbo »
extended warranties are a disaster....

I'm eager to hear why you think so. A personal experience?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (Stymie)

go read the cam adjusters thread over again
they will not replace them and get a used motor instead.. one that needs adjuster in a short while
shops get paid in the rears ( after job ) plus have to break it down and wait for an inspector to come look before starting a repair. You car can sit for months if the perfect store hits and the shop doesnt get paid fair for the lift time when that happens. So they suck. I would never get one.
Nor do I buy tires with hazard insurance or cell phones with drop protection.. so for some it works ( if you like loaner cars ) and some it dont.

·
Registered
49 Posts

go read the cam adjusters thread over again

I have, several times.
they will not replace them and get a used motor instead.. one that needs adjuster in a short while

Used motor, what used motor? For a W8? That's bull****. They're not exactly floating around like pencils in school. Oops! My bad. I found a used engine at everdrive.com. http://www.everdrive.com/skus/...e.htm Your price, a sweet $10,700!
From the web site;
INCLUDES: Valve cover to oil pan.
DOES NOT INCLUDE: Cable Harnesses, sensors, cut hoses and bolt-on parts.
Hopefully, you can get those missing parts from your old engine. If not, they can't be more than a few bucks, can they?
A new replacement engine for a W8 ~$15,000. Replacement cost for one cam chain tensioner ~$4000, including labor. If you have both tensioners replaced at the same time, add another ~$6-800 for the parts. Not much additional labor cost, since the engine is already torn down.
So you're telling me that some (any) insurance company would rather pay out fifteen grand today, with a good chance of another fifteen grand down the road, instead of paying less than five thousand dollars to solve the problem? Again, that's bull****. If you believe that, then you clearly know nothing about the insurance business. Those companies throw nickels around like they were manhole covers. They won't pay out any more than they have to pay to get the problem fixed, and you gone. They're in the business of making money, not paying money.
shops get paid in the rears ( after job ) plus have to break it down and wait for an inspector to come look before starting a repair. You car can sit for months if the perfect store hits and the shop doesnt get paid fair for the lift time when that happens. So they suck. I would never get one.

A good friend of mine had one of his tensioners go bad last spring. he took his car to the largest of the four VW dealers here in town. Know how long his car was in the shop? Three weeks. Know why it took so long? Engine tables. All of their available engine carts were filled with Toe-rag engines. He got a free loaner, an '07 Passat wagon. Cost of the repair - yup, $4000. Cost to him? $80, the deductible on his extended warranty. The warranty that cost him $1700. I asked him if he at least got a reach around.
Nor do I buy tires with hazard insurance...

You might be on to something here.
I paid $240 for one of those road hazard warranties when I bought the car. A couple of months later, I hit a pothole. Blew out the right front tire, bent the crap out of the rim. I throw on the spare, and head for the dealer. Result; one shiny new Madras wheel for $~345, and one brand new Michelin for another $~200. Cost to me? Zero, zip, zilch, nada. Man, I really got bent over... oh, wait.
The best part about that wheel/tire thing? They'll do the same, every single time it happens, for as long as I own the car.
You're right, those extended warranties, they suck.

Modified by Stymie at 2:54 AM 11-18-2008

Modified by Stymie at 2:57 AM 11-18-2008

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (Stymie)

Stymie,
Go read the whole Cam Adjuster thread.....It might take a while..

I've had my adjusters replaced twice. This last time didn't fix it. They had to replace the engine. They replaced the engine with a used engine because they won't exceed the value of the car with the repair cost. You can understand why, the warranty company has no sentiment for the W8 or for the owners you bought them. They rather spend $16,000.00 towards a more reliable VR6 powered Passat than sink $16,000.00 in a W8 that will be back in the shop in 6 weeks.
I was supposed to get my car back today and they called me to inform me that the replacement engine threw a code and it's the cam adjusters. The replacement engine that's supposed to be certified/tested threw an engine code for cam adjusters. Now they want me to shell out $4000.00 to replace the engine they just replaced with a $20,000.00 new engine.
Anyone considering buying this car for anything other than another car to add to their collection of collectables should look for something else. My car has been in the shop for over 9 weeks now.
Service does not seam to matter. I had my car serviced regularly. I've owned it for 4 years and it has never ran more than 3 months without something breaking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (Daskoupe)

The car is great when it runs.................... I'm beginning to understand why there are so many of these available with low miles. You can't rack a lot of miles on a car that's always in for repairs. Look on Auto Trader or Ebay and see how many of these are for sale with 50K-70K miles on them. Stay far away from any of these. They have all had or need the cam adjusters replaced.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (un4givun2)

I drove mine HARD for 75,000 miles. The only issues were the thermostat at 37K and the fuel pump at 74K. As for the post about an early A6 4.2 being cheaper to repair, read my sig....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (VWGUY4EVER)

Just traded my W8 in for a Touareg 2 V8 FSI. Loved my W8, but it cost me plenty to own. At 100,001 miles, I laid out $3,000 for a new torque converter. Had to deal with the damn coils too. Air conditioning head unit was replaced at 15k under warranty. Car was absolutely amazing to drive and purrrrred like a cat through the entire RPM range. Great in snow. Moved through corners with confidence...damn thing never missed a beat. Loved it. Miss it. Don't miss the worry or the damned repair bills. Would agree with others on here...not worth buying unless you are a VW collector (only made this model for a few years), ready to lay out cash for repairs, or you're just plain goofy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I probably need my head examined, but if I can find an Audi dealer willing to trade I want a 4.2L Allroad Quattro....Found a 2005 with 53K and a clean carfax for $18,900.00.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: (un4givun2)

Quote, originally posted by un4givun2 »
I probably need my head examined, but if I can find an Audi dealer willing to trade I want a 4.2L Allroad Quattro....Found a 2005 with 53K and a clean carfax for $18,900.00.

Yes you do in all forms of the words, do need you head examined.
Go buy a honda or Lexus...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts