VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22,734 Posts
Re: (KubvanTurbo)

kubvan is a douchebag.
i went to school(former VW) tech for these cars and i would buy one in a heart beat, i got almost every one while at fairfax VW, and it seem when they weren't wanted by the other techs, their intimidating cars to work on, but their actually very simple. they are a combination of a few VAG products.
the ones i didn't get seemed to come back again and again.anyway, if you can even find one, check it out, drive it, talk to the owner, see what they have had. i have seen some that had problems and some that didn't. worst apart about most owners, is they wanna buy a very low production hard to come by car, and not to do any maintenance. so they got stuck with some serious repairs. all cars have problems, sometimes people get ****ty ones.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: (Vegeta Gti)

Quote, originally posted by Vegeta Gti »
kubvan is a douchebag.

I love you to.
Let me check ... you own a W8? nope
one more noob stalker.
got any more?

·
Registered
29 Posts

I love these 'holier than thou' service types that point the finger at enthusiasts for causing their own problems but no longer or never have owned one themselves. My guess is that they either sold an about to be broken W8 or saw the writing on the wall and unloaded it. I'm ever more amused by the guys that say: "I ragged the heck out of mine, but always rubbed my belly twice and stomped my feet three times before I started it and I never had any problems." Then inexplicably they sell it and brag about how they might buy another one. Yeah right. Drive it as hard as you want - that's not causing the problem. Put in all the high quality Synthetic you want at whatever interval - that could just work and you might just get lucky - FOR A WHILE. Do all the maintenance you want by the book or better - but if you hold onto it long enough your chances of having the Torque Converter or Cam Adjusters crap themselves will be huge (ly expensive). No one in their right mind would claim the Torque Converters are owner induced, so why point the fingers at us for the Cam Adjusters? A final note to all holier than thous - there are a lot of mint condition, low mileage W8s on the market for less than 8 thousand dollars these days. Why don't you go pick one up and slap a new motor in it after 3 - 30 thousand miles. 8 thousand plus a 10 thousand dollar repair is only 18K afterall. Help yourselves. Keep it for more than 5 years and 60 thousand and then come back and talk some smack

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: (alaskadub)

Who pointed fingers ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: (VWGUY4EVER)

Just for fun, I went to see if the car ever sold... the highest bid was $3200 for a 2003 W8 wagon that cost almost 40K 6 years ago... cant get much quicker depreciation than that !

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: (flavin42)

Sure ya can.. 2008 S8 stickered at $114,000 in July. They traded it in November with SEVENTEEN-HUNDRED AND FORTY-SEVEN MILES on it. They got a check for $72,000....... $43,000 in 4 months, more than the total purchase of a W8 in 2002, 2003 or 2004 in 4 months.. The car market today, new or used, is in the tank...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: (VWGUY4EVER)

highest low leader for of lease was the w12 pheaton. 112k ish to 47k one year lease
smashed w8 at auction in denver....1200 bucks last year
you cant sell them and win so I am going to keep mine for a long time and enjoy

·
Registered
124 Posts

Just to update everyone......My W8 still isn't fixed. It was in the shop 3 months for cam adjusters and a new gas tank. The car is now FUBAR. They replaced the sending units twice since replacing the tank because the fuel gage has a mind of its own. They just replaced the instrument cluster and it still has the same problem. The engine quits under wide open throttle (especially on take off). There is static and popping noises coming through the radio just prior to the engine shutting off. Repeatidly sticking your foot in it for like 3 consecutive shut downs and the entire electrical system goes dead. Upon restarting, the Alternator Warning sign is lit up and stays on for about 3 miles. None of these problems existed before they worked on the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: (B5Speedo)

Yeah. My cam adjusters & chains & stuff were replaced in an independed garage, that had never done the job before and they did excellent work. The car was in for 2 weeks - and they had to wait a week for parts (ordered from Germany). I have driven almost 4000 miles after the repair and I haven't had a single thing to complain about. It is hard to believe that an authorized dealer can screw up a repair that badly

Btw, the mechanic told me that replacing the timing chains was as easy as replacing bike chains...

Modified by beneviva at 7:54 AM 3-9-2009

Modified by beneviva at 7:58 AM 3-9-2009

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (Wanganrunner)

Maintenance disasters, pure disasters.
I have ~100K on my car. Here is a list of periodic maintenance and their cost:
* $120 every 5K miles -- oil change service (amongst other things)
* $150 every 20K miles -- rear brake pads
* $500 every 40K miles -- front brake pads and rotors
* $700 every 80K miles -- tune up (amongst other things)
* $35-40 every 400 miles -- super unleaded gasoline (required)
Here is a list of unscheduled repairs (but schedule it for this car--mileage depends):
* $500 (??? can't remember exact cost) -- single Bi-Xenon headlight amp--not the bulb
* $150 -- each Bi-Xenon headlight bulb (both went on mine)
* $3000 -- torque converter (only for auto tranny cars obviously)
* $7500-8000 -- cam adjuster problem
Please note, either warranty or threat of suit (to VWoA and dealer) may get these last two items fixed (the latter for me).

After all that, yeah, I'd say the car is fine. I've been trying to sell my car for the better part of 8 months and not a single offer or even interest. As many others, I am stuck with this car until it dies.
So, if I were you and for the sake of your career, I'd tell him;/her to stay away from these cars--unless you work for VW...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: (beneviva)

If they say that it's as easy as replacing bike chains it must be...........right?
Lets see the to do list:
1: Partially remove front clip (the radiator, radiator core support, grill, and bumber all are moved out and away from the car using 2 special tools/jigs that hold the assembly out and away from the car about 6 inches)
2: Disconect/remove the front suspension, brakes, and drive shafts
3: Disconnect the rear drive shaft from transmission
4: Disconnect assessories like A/C, oil coolers, wiring harnesses, etc.
5: Unbolt and lower the front subframe/engine/transmission from the bottom of the car as one complete assembly
6: Unbolt and remove engine from tansmission
7: Finally, now you have access to the back of the engine where the timing chain is.
8: Now begin the task of replacing the timing chain and cam adjusters
This isn't a task you can do with basic hand tools in your garrage. 1st of all, you have to get the car high enough off the ground to remove the engine/trans/subframe from under the car. That eliminates about 99% of most shade tree mechanics trying to do this from their garrage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: (un4givun2)

Instead of a W8 Passat for $10K that will require over $20K in repairs over the next 2 years go buy a 2008 Nissan 350Z with 2,500 miles for $25,900.00. Below is the link:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...false

Then take that car to this guy @ http://www.gtmotorsports.com/p...age=1

For $14,000.00 he will install a complete stroker 4.2L engine that cranks out over 700RWH.
So, for less than what a new W8 cost in 2004 you can buy a 2008 Nissan 350Z and have a race ready 700hp engine. Best of all, the Nissan engine has parts readily available if anything breaks.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: (un4givun2)

Quote, originally posted by un4givun2 »
Instead of a W8 Passat for $10K that will require over $20K in repairs over the next 2 years

Bullsh*t. You know nothing.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (dstathos)

Quote, originally posted by dstathos »
Maintenance disasters, pure disasters.
I have ~100K on my car. Here is a list of periodic maintenance and their cost:
* $120 every 5K miles -- oil change service (amongst other things)
* $150 every 20K miles -- rear brake pads
* $500 every 40K miles -- front brake pads and rotors
* $700 every 80K miles -- tune up (amongst other things)
* $35-40 every 400 miles -- super unleaded gasoline (required)
Here is a list of unscheduled repairs (but schedule it for this car--mileage depends):
* $500 (??? can't remember exact cost) -- single Bi-Xenon headlight amp--not the bulb
* $150 -- each Bi-Xenon headlight bulb (both went on mine)
* $3000 -- torque converter (only for auto tranny cars obviously)
* $7500-8000 -- cam adjuster problem
Please note, either warranty or threat of suit (to VWoA and dealer) may get these last two items fixed (the latter for me).

After all that, yeah, I'd say the car is fine. I've been trying to sell my car for the better part of 8 months and not a single offer or even interest. As many others, I am stuck with this car until it dies.
So, if I were you and for the sake of your career, I'd tell him;/her to stay away from these cars--unless you work for VW...

1. DIY oil change will cut your cost almost in half. And guess what? Every eight cylinder will cost the same for oil changes.

2. DIY rear brake pads is <$60. You are getting ripped off by your mechanic and the pads should last longer than 20K miles. Mine went 40K.
3. DIY front brake pads and rotors <$160. Again you are getting ripped off by your mechanic and the pads/rotors should last longer than 20K miles. Mine went 40K.
4. DIY tune up??? air and cabin filters every 20K miles. DIY <$30. Spark plugs every 40K miles DIY <$50. Brake fluid flush every 2 years. DIY $30. Again your mechanic is ripping you off.
5. HID capsules are <$100. Same cost for any HID light set and NOT W8 specific. If you want to whine about the cost, sell the lights and buy halogens. A ballast is not $500, do some homework.
6. The TC is a problem for manual owners but it is NOT a W8 specifc issue. Buy a manual is this is not a problem. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
7. The cam adjusters is a design issue but I have yet to see a 6MT owner have this problem. This and TC is really the major issue and W8 TIP owner will have to deal with. However, solutions with pulling the engine are starting to appear.
8. Every VW gasoline engine runs on premium fuel. So what exactly is the issue here?

Buy your own parts, get a better machanic, and buy an extended warranty and you will be fine.
Obviously you are a very naive car owner. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Show me another German car with a V8 and AWD that has lower maintenance costs. Guess what? Ther isn't one.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (KubvanTurbo)

Quote, originally posted by KubvanTurbo »
extended warranties are a disaster....

No, just the one YOU bought is. My dealer loves my extened warranty company.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (B5Speedo)

Quote, originally posted by B5Speedo »

No, just the one YOU bought is. My dealer loves my extened warranty company.

NOT!!
I purchased my extended warranty from the VW dealership. I paid $4,800 for a 4/year/48K warranty. It did not cover the full price of the new engine. The warranty won't pay for more than the car is worth. If the engine cost $20,000.00 the warranty isn't going to pay to replace that engine in a $10,000.00 car.
I had to pay the difference of the cost of the engine and the book value of my car. Now the engine has 8500 miles on it and the oil is full of metal shavings.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (un4givun2)

Quote, originally posted by un4givun2 »

NOT!!
I purchased my extended warranty from the VW dealership. I paid $4,800 for a 4/year/48K warranty. It did not cover the full price of the new engine. The warranty won't pay for more than the car is worth. If the engine cost $20,000.00 the warranty isn't going to pay to replace that engine in a $10,000.00 car.
I had to pay the difference of the cost of the engine and the book value of my car. Now the engine has 8500 miles on it and the oil is full of metal shavings.

Like I said you bought the wrong warranty. Mine is not from VW. It cost ~$2,000 and is for 6 years and 100K miles. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As for the oil being full of metal shavings I would think you have a very incompetant mechanic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (dstathos)

Amen to maintenance dissaster!!
My 2002 W8 Wagon has had the following replaced and it only has 84K miles on it.
1) Electronics Control Module for all the steering wheel controls @ 25K
2) Home Link sun visor @ 28K
3) Missing floor pan to fire wall welds replaced and seam sealed @ 33K
4) Ruined carpet replaced @ 33K as a result of the missing seam sealer and welds in the floor pan
5) cam adjusters @ 35K
6) 2 CV Boots replaced @ 40K
7) 1 transmission replaced @ 49K
8) Transmission seal replaced @ 58K
9) 1 CV boot replaced @ 58K
10) Failed cam adjuster replacement @ 76K
11) 2nd attempt at installing the adjusters failed by a VW tech @ 76K
12) 3rd attempt worked, but metal soon appeared in the oil @ 76K
13) Engine Replaced @ 76K
14) Alternator replaced at 76K
15) Fuel Tank sprung a leak also at 76K and was replaced
16) Emergency brake cable replaced at 77K
17) Front rotors replaced at 77K
18) All 3 fuel sending units replaced @ 79K
19) Entire Instrument cluster replaced @ 80K
At 84K the front axles need replacing, the rear rotors need replacing, the new engine has metal in the oil (needs replacing), and the new alternator is going out. These last 4 repairs alone would cost over $25,000.00 if I had to pay cash.
I can buy a 2008 Nissan 350Z with 2,500 miles on it for the amount of money this one shop visit is going to cost.
Does anyone remember the Yugo? It had a better reliability rating than the W8.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: W8 Passat - Good Idea? (B5Speedo)

Quote, originally posted by B5Speedo »

Like I said you bought the wrong warranty. Mine is not from VW. It cost ~$2,000 and is for 6 years and 100K miles. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As for the oil being full of metal shavings I would think you have a very incompetant mechanic.

What does competency of the mechanic have to do with metal shavings in the oil?
It is a BRAND NEW engine! It has never been worked on.
The correct response would have been "It sounds like you bought a car built/designed by an incompetant MANUFACTURER"
The fact that VW dropped the W8 engine from its engine line up says it all.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts