VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few question about my new w8 , is the 03 an 04 control arm setups the same ? I found a “kit” online but it says it’s for an 03 w8, and for the other w8 owners how much does the dealer charge for a alignment? I’ve read there are sensors that need to be recalibrated so it’s best to bring it to the dealer? also I want to know what things have gone wrong on your w8 an what you think someone should be looking to replace at around 120k miles

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Welcome to this forum and congrats on your new Passat. I do not have the answers to your W8 questions but there are some W8 owners here that will help you. That engine was very short lived and “experimental “. In my 20 years on this forum I have read a lot about the issues with the W8 engine and the difficulties and high costs to maintain them. Suffice it to say, you have a very rare engine and Passat. There used to be an “urban legend” here that in order to change a headlight bulb the engine had to be removed for access. I wish you good luck with your new Passat. Many W8 owners love them. You just need to know what you are in for. I applaud you for coming here for advice and help. Check out similar forum on Passat World site.

Reactions: W8ForME

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Actually, you only have to remove the front bumper to get to the bulbs. Replacing the thermostat or alternator requires removing the engine. Most dealers don't have anyone on staff trained on the W8; good luck w/ "official" service. Problem areas include transmission/torque converter, engine cam chain adjusters, fuel pump and fuel level sender. (The car has two gas tanks).

Really, head on over to the W8 forum at Passatworld.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply’s , the car so far has no issues I’ve driven it around 2k miles now an love it more an more , just noticed a slight pull to the right when driving so thought I’d ask on alignments ! I’m aware it’s a costly car but willing to roll the dice I’ve wanted one for years , I had the 2.8 for 5 years before selling it an finding this w8 pretty close to me ! I’ll head over to passat world an join in there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, you only have to remove the front bumper to get to the bulbs. Replacing the thermostat or alternator requires removing the engine. Most dealers don't have anyone on staff trained on the W8; good luck w/ "official" service. Problem areas include transmission/torque converter, engine cam chain adjusters, fuel pump and fuel level sender. (The car has two gas tanks).

Really, head on over to the W8 forum at Passatworld.
cam adjusters we’re replaced , the cars 6mt so no worry on the torque converter! But I definitely didint know there was 2 tanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a few question about my new w8 , is the 03 an 04 control arm setups the same ? I found a “kit” online but it says it’s for an 03 w8, and for the other w8 owners how much does the dealer charge for a alignment? I’ve read there are sensors that need to be recalibrated so it’s best to bring it to the dealer? also I want to know what things have gone wrong on your w8 an what you think someone should be looking to replace at around 120k miles
The alignment on my A8L was like $160, the sensors in question are the same on the Passat as the A8L, for the HIDs they sense if the back or front rises or dips depending on weight and acceleration, and it just adjusts the headlights to attempt not to blind others.

·
Registered
11 JSW TDI • 09 B6 2.0 TSI • 03 B5.5 2.8 4Motion • 07 MINI COOPER S, "The Chili Pepper"
154 Posts
cam adjusters we’re replaced , the cars 6mt so no worry on the torque converter! But I definitely didint know there was 2 tanks
Wow, you really are in rare company.....there were very few of those sold here in the States. Much preferred, IMO. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been daily driving my W8 sedan for more than a year, and I now daily a W8 wagon. I replaced the control arms and did coilovers for the sedan, but I didn't notice anything different in them. After, I did the alignment myself and all you have to do is recalibrate the steering angle sensor, but that requires a special tool, I used my Snap-On Modis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.