VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about getting a Passat Wagon. I know there were Dashers, Quantum's and B3 and B4's. I have has a B4 TDI sedan, and a 01 Golf TDI.
We do small dog rescue, fostering, and are problem dog Rehabilitators. I need a wagon to pickup and transport dogs. Usually one or two at a time, sometimes in dog crates.
Price, MPG, and size are whats important. B4 TDI's are out of this world, and a B4 TDI wagon is in a different galxey.
How would a B3 wagon be? 2,0l 16v, 5spd or automatic?

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
no i have a 1.6 td from a 83 jetts.. 85 golf diesel tranny, the mk2 turbo to down pipe.. mk2 down pipe, custom fab shift linkage mount on the steering rack.. a a2 jetta one would work if you change the rack, mk2 pedals, needs a small nibble by the steering knuckles for the shaft, modded shifter box and the shifter tube was extended and has a drop down put in it.. the shifter sits higher in the tunnle then a mk2..
i wires the glow plug relay under the hood.. ran a idiot light inside for it.. nice easy to do project..
to fit the older 020 tranny the frame rail on the drivers side needs a trim, but its infront of the shock tower, no real structural impact..
i ran the set up in a sedan from 2002 till this year when i put it all in a wagon.. i do suggest a 210mm clutch package.. the 200mm one when fully loaded aka rear bumper draggin the ground
would slip.. the 210mm set up fixed that.. yes it still cruizes at 75/80 with all that weight..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (crsmp5)

Very nice car! Does it have a/c? It is a required item in SE Texas. It has already been over 100 degs here.
Was it good car when you got it. I would think the better shap it is in, would make it a nicer car. I like the white color.
RIchard

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Re: (vtexrabbit)

I know this car has been Whored out and guess what I own it now...... it doesnt have those wheels on it any more ether.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Motorwerks)

Still a very cool car. I don't need to large a tire. On my 97 Passat TDI I went up to 15" tires and some mag wheel. I hated the factory tires. I could go 16's but that would be good. The wifes Saturn Vue has 16's on it.
I see you guys like white, any thing but sliver for me. More Silver cars have bad paint clear coat than ant others I have seen.
I need to find a B3 wagon and diesel engine to do the swap.
Any more post some pics or info...
Thanks
Richard

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
it was a 500$ passat wagon.. owner thought it was blown up.. LOL.. after i got the td put in and all.. i went to mod/change the fuel sender.. wagon different then sedan.. was pining real bad like it was lean or computer was messed up.. BUT when you have less then 6oz of gas in the tank.. LOL.. it was outta gas.. LOL..
yep has ac.. the a1 ac system fits the b3 ac lines liek they factory

has all new brakes frotn and rear.. new boge turbo gas shocks/struts/tierods/balljoints too.. beleive me.. it was a treasure that the PO had no clue.. heck i did not have a clue till i got into it..

Modified by crsmp5 at 7:56 PM 6-21-2006

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Re: (Shawn)

Quote, originally posted by Shawn »
damn my photos pop up all the time
LOL I just bought that car.... you have any history on it???? Its falling apart and I would kind of like to know what to expect. Like maybe why the sunroof is trying to fly away? Whats up with the motor I think its about to Die. Does the AC just need a charge, or is the comp jacked up????You know stuff like that.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Re: (Motorwerks)

HAHAHA I just looked at the pink slip Ill take this to PM http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
ahhh stick to the non metalic colors.. they all peal the clear real bad.. why i went for white..
I have more pics.. LOL..

is how it looked when i got it..

i gutted it as i added in black carpet and so on.. i hate grey..

also a good time to change the heatercore.. and makes it easy to swap pedals..

how i drove it after i got her runnin.. sadly i drove the sedan into garage sat am.. drove this home sunday night.. LOL.. can you say 35hours of work in 2 days..

one of my fav pics.. LOL.. the DE's came from my sedan..

2-tone interior

better then all grey.. but better then all black..
the carpet/plastic is all black.. along with dash so on.. only the door panels (cloth areas) seats, cargo cover, cargo floor is still grey.. rest black..

Modified by crsmp5 at 8:23 AM 6-22-2006

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (crsmp5)

WOW, Bet that was fun to put together. You just find the interior?
Did you use a stock dash or make your own to use the aftermarket gauges (autometer) Stii nice. Now if I can find one that is not 1000 miles away! It was a automatic and you converted it to a manual tranny. I have a whole B3 sedan 16v with manual tranny that I was going to part out, but I may keep it for parts, no title so I can't use it
Richard

Modified by vtexrabbit at 12:46 PM 6-23-2006

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
Re: (vtexrabbit)

well they are VDO.. all i use.. LOL.. but the ones in the normal place are the millinium series.. white face at day.. black with lit numbers and all at night..

the 2 on top of the dash are old old old school vdo pod gauges.. they are built into a factory pod, not a add on pod.. the one is "diesel turbocharger" which i have only ever seen 2 on ebay and i missed the 2nd one.. LOL..

the original well the tach woudl not have worked.. LOL.. the temp/fuel gauge of the sedan did nto work.. so i build this set up.. i need to redo ti in fiberglass, i need to add in 1 more temp and fuel gauge as i plumbed in all the copper tubing to add a 2nd tank for used cooking oil for this winter.. right now im burning bio..

the sedan had beigh and was leather.. i swapped it with black carpet/plastic as beigh sux worse then grey.. LOL..

but after i got the wagon going.. i stole all my black stuff for the wagon.. the few plastic items that were different i painted black.. aka rear cargo/window stuff.. not high trafic aka will not get scratched easy so works well

Modified by crsmp5 at 5:53 PM 6-23-2006

Modified by crsmp5 at 5:54 PM 6-23-2006

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
also as far as fun.. yep.. in all since i already had everything on a working sedan.. i spent 2 weeks on it..
1st week, we will say 18 hours aka mon-fri after work gutted wagon..
1st weekend, pulled td out of sedan with all needed parts, installed into wagon, drove home sunday night.. like 35 hours..
2nd week gut interior from sedan, install into wagon, like another 16 hours..
2nd weekend plumbing, wash wax, window tint.. like 25 hours..

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
only help i had was with the window tint.. LOL.. rest of it i did on my own.. includign the 35 hour weekend.. LOL..
it really is a easy conversion.. the 2 hard parts are the shifter and pedals.. shifter being #1 as i made a mount on my steering rack had to cut the tube, extend and drop it to mak eup for the higher tunnle... the pedals may seem hard.. till you relize you just need a BFH to remove some of the lip/body stamp around the steerign knuckle to the rack area of the firewall away..
then trimming the frame rail is kinda a pain.. but sawzall works great here.. but till you relize this aspect motor/tranny no fit..
it drives ike a dream..
the amount of crap i fit into it and drive aroudn on is unreal.. just imagine.. those night photos of the gauges was in a 65mph area with 90 gal of bio fuel in the cargo area in 30 gal drumbs..
and i was a rollin.. sadly when you got over 75 you could feel the sidewalls of the yokahoma tires start to give a little.. LOL.. almost flat tire feeling even with 35psi in them.. LOL..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.