VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Atlas SEL P R
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this trick out yesterday and didnt know if anyone knew about it yet. You have to have the electronic climate control.
1. Hold Econ and Auto simutaniously. This should change it to Celsius.
2. Hold Econ and the top left button with the seat and the arrow facing up. (i think thats what to do)
3. Dial the left knob to 19 then use the middle one to make it 19.3. This should display the RPM on the left screen.
4. For mph i think it dialed to 19 or something like that. Just play with it.
So did anyone know of this yet?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (SpoolinFSI)

Old news. You also can skip step 1.

·
Registered
2022 Atlas SEL P R
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (rickerbr)

k sorry. Thought id share incase no one knew. I love little tricks like this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (SpoolinFSI)

It's been around for a bit. Uncorrected MPH is 19, middle dial 1 click to the right. I use it more than my regular speedo because it's a hell of alot more accurate.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (Peter_Rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by Peter_Rabbit »
great.
I didn't know that
so it IS news to me

Well, then, I won't click my favorite button

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (FUZE)

yeah FUZE, I probably am not the only slow learner on the forum.
This is really interesting, so I'm switching to my lap top and going out to the car to see for myself!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (Peter_Rabbit)

ok so, now I got rpm on the right screen of the hvac control. Now what? I mean how do I put it back in "american" (F) degrees?

Modified by Peter_Rabbit at 10:05 AM 4-14-2006
never mind. I see that if push both econ and auto button it goes back into dummy mode....
pretty neat trick. So, I guess if I want to see how fast I'm really going I can use this trick on the fly, which would have been uber usefull last night on my drive home. I had the cruse set for what I thought was 72 mpg in the 65, where I was average... a few suv's would pass me and I'd pass the occaisional granny in a buick. Would have been nice to know exactly how fast I was going as traffic was super light and I felt that I could safely drive about 100 mph if it wasn't illegal. So I plodded on at likely 67 mph

Modified by Peter_Rabbit at 10:25 AM 4-14-2006

·
Registered
4,772 Posts

never mind. I see that if push both econ and auto button it goes back into dummy mode....

You don't have to hit AUTO at all... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (FUZE)

surprisingly less interesting than i thought it would be... anyone know what all the other number combos are displaying on the right screen?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (Dan Gallagher)

Try not to sway away from the mph and rpm the car may have to be re pdi'd. It has happend here at the dealership a few times.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SpoolinFSI »
Found this trick out yesterday and didnt know if anyone knew about it yet. You have to have the electronic climate control.
1. Hold Econ and Auto simutaniously. This should change it to Celsius.
2. Hold Econ and the top left button with the seat and the arrow facing up. (i think thats what to do)
3. Dial the left knob to 19 then use the middle one to make it 19.3. This should display the RPM on the left screen.
4. For mph i think it dialed to 19 or something like that. Just play with it.
So did anyone know of this yet?

Just to clarify, 19.0 gives you km/h up to 100km (62mph). 19.1 gives you mph (I assume up to 100, but I've never tested it that high), and 19.3 gives you RPM.
Basically, I've pretty much confirmed the following:
At "50mph," the overstatement is about 5% (real speed = 47.5mph - It oscillates between 47 and 48).
At "60mph," it is about 6% (real speed = 56mph)
At "70mph," it is about 7% (real speed = 65mph)
At "80mph," it is about 8% (real speed = 73.5mph)
Above "80" and you must be on the autobahn to be legal.
The maximum overstatement per the EU reg is 10% plus 4km/h (which is 2.5 mph).
I was driving my mother's Toyota today (see the "Wheel Issues - MKV" thread for details), and had to watch myself so as not to "adjust" for the overstatement, which is virtually nonexistent on a Toyota.
Here's some information from Car and Driver. I think the speedometer ratings in the linked sidebar need updating, since it lists VW accuracy as better than BMWs.
http://www.caranddriver.com/fe....html

Modified by akuska at 9:58 PM 4-15-2006

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (akuska)

I use it only when I'm going through a cop zone. And when I'm going at ridiculously high speeds..................

Which is all the time!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (rickerbr)

Quote, originally posted by rickerbr »
Old news. You also can skip step 1.

well what's old is new because I had no idea. Seems kinda random.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts

yeah FUZE, I probably am not the only slow learner on the forum.
This is really interesting, so I'm switching to my lap top and going out to the car to see for myself!

I would do the same if I weren't about to go to sleep. maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (akuska)

Just so I am clear, does the overstatement appear on the digital readout on the climate control or is the overstatement on the actual speedometer. I just got my GTI yesterday and I have a feeling the speedometer is reading a little fast.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Re: Wanna know how to show your RPM and MPH on your climate controll? (doughboy914)

Quote, originally posted by doughboy914 »
I just got my GTI yesterday and I have a feeling the speedometer is reading a little fast.

That's why.
The spedometer reads a bit faster than the speed you're really going.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Ok call me dumb.. I tried this.. In the past I could get to 19 easy.. now if I do the steps.. I get odd symbols in those little screens.. looks like it says FM or something smaller under what looks like an arrow and a black block.. anyone seen this?
THANKS

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.