VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've picked up a 2020 Audi A3 2.0T Komfort Quattro Sedan (For those in the US, think either the FWD Premium model, but with Quattro and the increased power output, or an S-Line Premium, but without the S-Line stuff, such as the flat-bottom paddle-equipped steering wheel) with the round leather steering wheel, and thus no shifter paddles.
I am planning on replacing this steering wheel with one equipped with paddles, such as this face-lifted RS3 wheel (after I select "Standard Gauges" from the Instrument Cluster section).

However, this thread, could not come to a consensus on whether or not coding is needed for the face-lifted A3 models, with one poster mentioning that they too bought a paddle-equipped wheel for their 2017 A3 Premium (also face-lifted) from europrice, but could not get the car to recognize the paddles, though in this case in was something about the wires.
Anyone mind lending me a hand on solving this?

·
Registered
1999 Audi A4 Stroker Build in Progress S200SXE, Custom Megasquirt ECU, ABA Forged Crank and more
1,282 Posts
I'm not sure about the newer cars but c6, b8 and c7 cars need VCDS coding changes in most cases in order for the car to know it has paddles equipped. Most steering wheel swaps I know of require no wiring changes at all since all the information is communicated via the steering wheel clock spring. Obviously this info might not pertain to your car but it might

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I've picked up a 2020 Audi A3 2.0T Komfort Quattro Sedan (For those in the US, think either the FWD Premium model, but with Quattro and the increased power output, or an S-Line Premium, but without the S-Line stuff, such as the flat-bottom paddle-equipped steering wheel) with the round leather steering wheel, and thus no shifter paddles.
I am planning on replacing this steering wheel with one equipped with paddles, such as this face-lifted RS3 wheel (after I select "Standard Gauges" from the Instrument Cluster section).

However, this thread, could not come to a consensus on whether or not coding is needed for PFL cars, with one poster mentioning that they too bought a paddle-equipped wheel for their 2017 A3 Premium (also face-lifted) from europrice, but could not get the car to recognize the paddles, though in this case in was something about the wires.
Anyone mind lending me a hand on solving this?
I know on my A3 2016 I used the Q3 Flat bottom wheel and it was plug n play no coding required

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Just an update. I swapped over to the new wheel today and am happy to report that it is PLUG AND Play without any coding required.
Thanks for the update, my best friend is going to buy a new wheel soon to swap into his A3 so he can stop staring at my S3 and plotting to steal my wheel haha.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 on 17a3 as well. Not sure why I always see people posting misinformation that it needs coding. Pfl to pfl and fl to fl wheel swaps with the correct button group for paddles is pnp. Glad you're up and running. So nice to have them again right?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Just an update. I swapped over to the new wheel today and am happy to report that it is PLUG AND Play without any coding required.
I forgot about this thread but just a couple of hours ago now I've just swapped over a new perforated leather wheel with extended paddle shifters. (like the 2015-2016 S3 paddle shifters instead of the tiny ones from the newer cars like my 2019 S3). Everything was plug and play on my best friend's 2016 A3, and it didn't take any real time to do.

The wheel works perfectly and looks great in the car.
+1 on 17a3 as well. Not sure why I always see people posting misinformation that it needs coding. Pfl to pfl and fl to fl wheel swaps with the correct button group for paddles is pnp. Glad you're up and running. So nice to have them again right?
My best friend is extremely happy now to finally have paddles in his A3.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Nice, now get some leyo extensions on those
Lol I don't know if he's going to do that or not. Next up is a catback exhaust so he can tell when the car is on or not lol. He's having a hard time getting used to such quiet in the A3 since his other car is a not quiet NA Miata haha.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
where did your buddy source his? I also want to do this.
Here's the website with all of the wheels we looked at. Original Style

Specifically this wheel...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts