VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to possibly buy and install some Schrick 268 cams with HD springs.
How hard would it be to install myself (Degree in Mechanical Engineering) given I have the right tools (i.e. cam alignment tool, torque wrench, Bentley Manual, etc.)?
Would it be easier to have someone else do and if so, how much should I expect it to cost?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: Want to install Schrick 268 Cams w/ HD Springs? How hard to DYI? (vwbarks)

Not that hard, but you may have to sweat blood to get the cam gear off the long camshaft. I had the whole motor apart in 4 hours, but couldn't get the gear off. People told me to clamp it in a vise and go totown with a 4' bar. I'm not enough of a man to try that, so I'm paying the cash to install.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Re: Want to install Schrick 268 Cams w/ HD Springs? How hard to DYI? (FatSean)

I had the same problem . It took me longer to take the stupid bolt for the cam gear off then the rest of the install. I scrooded up the bolt and the magnet in the process. I had to wait a day for new ones to come in. If I where to do it again I would have a spare bolt and cam gear around in case it happed again.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Re: Want to install Schrick 268 Cams w/ HD Springs? How hard to DYI? (AlexiGTIVR6)

not hard at all, just time consuming.
That damn F#@Kin sprocket bolt!!! When I did it with a partner, it required some serious ass to break that thing loose. BF wrenches and a pipe.
The partner comes in real handy when swapping out the HD springs. One to compress em and one to putz with the keepers.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Re: Want to install Schrick 268 Cams w/ HD Springs? How hard to DYI? (1BadAzzVR6)

Yeah Definetly getting that sprocket bolt off was a pain in the arse!!! I had to go to a tire place and they had to use the highest torque setting with their biggest impact wrench to get it off! And definetly mark the chain and gears with white out! Save some headache!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

The most difficult part is the installation of the valve springs. You'll need to get a valve compressor, so you can remove the valve keepers in order to access the valve springs. At the same time, you'll need to attach an air hose into the cylinder so you can keep the valve from dropping when the keepers are off. Even doing the valve springs on a work bench takes some time.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts

I suppose to the Kent 264s are comperable to the 260/264 cams in peak pwer and the shape of the powerband. I got them because you didn't need to mess with the valve springs. If I knew how hard it would be to install the cams, I think I would have gone with 268s and valvesprings, as I would be paying someone to do the work.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Will most machine shops be able to remove the cam bolt??
If so, it sounds like that is the easiest thing to do.
As for the HD springs, how much of a pain is it to install them and where can I rent a valve spring compressor?
Overall, how long should it take for one person to install spirngs and cams?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Will most machine shops be able to remove the cam bolt??
If so, it sounds like that is the easiest thing to do.
As for the HD springs, how much of a pain is it to install them and where can I rent a valve spring compressor?
Overall, how long should it take for one person to install springs and cams?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

i know this guy that said he did it in almost 8 hours!
im just going to pay someone for their time which will only be about 5 to 51/2 hours to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.