VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a used 98 A6 in great shape and at a great price. However, it is not as sporty as I would like, especially in the suspension. The most notable drawback over the A4 or other sport sedans, is the roll. I was looking at H&R roll bars and even some strut/spring packages. However, I like the luxury ride and really don't think I want stiffer springs or struts...just slighly less roll. I'm concerned though, that if I go with a "real" roll bar set, like H&R, it will be too stiff to complement the stock struts (i.e. comfy ride, but insanely snappy turning in comparison). In other words, too unbalanced.
I think the OEM sport package for the A6 is exactly what I'm after. It will lower it a couple cm's, stiffen it up just slightly,and will decrease the roll, but not too much. I'm also thinking the OEM sport package could be had cheap, or even used.
Does anyone know of a source for the OEM sport package for a 98 A6? Or, has anyone installed H&R or other aftermarket roll bars with a stock strut/spring package, and can comment on handling?
Thanks!

· Registered
173 Posts
Re: Want to put sport package on 98 A6 (Puddle Pirate)

I own the OEM sport suspension and have upgraded the sway bars to the H-sports (firm setting). Roll is minimized quite a bit and I find the ride firm but comfortable.
If you're concerned about balancing comfort & handling, you may want to consider the following package:
- Eibach springs
- Koni FSD shocks
- H-sport anti-sway bars
The Eibach springs will lower you (as would the OEM sport springs) and firm things up a bit. The FSD (frequency selective damping) shocks purport to offer the ride of a standard shock, but the handling of a sport shock. They do this by having different damping rates based on the frequency of the shock transmitted through them. High frequency bumps (due to road surface irregularites) are damped while low frequency movements (car leaning in a turn) are not. The H-sports simply take advantage of the sway bar concept and freely rotate both wheels (going over a bump) while providing resistance when only one side is being compressed (car leaning in a turn).
Check http://www.tirerack.com for more info on all of the above. http://www.purems.com has the best prices on the H-sports right now.
Good luck.

Modified by SouthboroAudiGuy at 9:30 AM 2/7/2007

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Want to put sport package on 98 A6 (SouthboroAudiGuy)

Thanks. A cople more questions...
1. Is it OK to add just aftermarket swaybars, and hold off on stiffer struts and springs? I really don't want a stiffer ride, just less roll
2. Does replacement of the struts require dissaembly of any of the linkages, or can the springs just be compressed, and the strut/spring assembly unbloted and removed?
3. I'm taking it you are recomending these aftermarket products in lieu of the OEM sport suspension? If so, any reason?
4. Did the 98 A6 Q even have a sport package?
I did HOR sport springs and Bilstein HD struts on an 84 Scirocco years ago. fun to drive, but I don't want my A6 that stiff. that's why I'm leaning toward just doing swaybars.

· Registered
173 Posts
Re: Want to put sport package on 98 A6 (Puddle Pirate)

Answers...
1) Sure. But you'll still get more roll than you would by upgrading everything. Less than with stock swaybars, but more than full sport suspension.
2) Not sure. Have not done this so I'll let somebody else answer this one.
3) Yup. Cost. OEM parts are expensive and when you can get aftermarket ones that are as good/better for less, why not?
4) No.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.