VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just what the topic said, i want to race solo one. i would race my jetta but its too low and i'll rub like crazy. i've always thought the rabbits would make an excellent track car. what modifications would i need to make for it to preform a little better. my ideas were stiffer springs maybe some better sway bars, tie bars and maybe a solid motor mounts.
any other ideas?
for the views

Modified by Bogner_16V at 2:24 AM 5-23-2003

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (Bogner_16V)

Order the rule book, and figure out which class you want to be in.. Non OE motormounts will put you in prepared class.. If you want to do stock, can't touch anything, basically... Just find SCCA online, or whatever sanctioning body you are going to be racing with, and get thier rule book. Get the info from the horses mouth.... Todd

·
Registered
977 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (Bogner_16V)

Im joining SCCA and racing Solo 2 this year. Im using my 78 Rabbit L in my signiture. Congrads on choosing a great car for racing, you wont regret it! I dont know much about solo 1, but I can tell you what Im doing for solo 2. If you want to do just stock, you cant tough anything!!! if you want to do street prepared(which is what I am doing) you can do suspension work, some brake work, and you can do an engine swap, as long as it comes stock on another car. Here are most of the rules if your interested.
http://moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html#s14
Good Luck!!

Modified by VWGTIRCR at 2:49 AM 5-23-2003

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (VWGTIRCR)

As the others have said, the first step is getting the appropriate rulebook. The SCCA Solo I rules are pretty much based on the SCCA road racing specifications. A GTI 1.8L Rabbit runs Improved Touring B (ITB) and a 1.6L Rabbit runs ITC. Both cars can run in the SCCA Production classes with certain modifications. An Improved Touring configuration will be the cheaper entry point.
Since Solo I typically runs a road race track, the safety equipment is normally a full cage, fire bottle, racing seat, racing belts, plus a driver's firesuit, helmet, gloves, and shoes.
Good luck and get the rulebook first before buying any parts. Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (WackyWabbitRacer)

WWR, how much would you say it costs for ITC races? Track time? What would you think for ITB? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (VWGTIRCR)

This is my second year of racing my 84 GTI in Solo I and I drive my Rabbit to all the events. You need a 4 point roll bar, 5-point harness and a fire extingisher within drivers reach and off course SA helmet and fire suit including gloves/shoes.
Last year I was on sport springs and shocks and found these were not stiff enough so this year I am on coil-overs and Koni adjustables, 500 lbs front/ 450 lbs rear. The stiffer springs and adjustable shocks are much better. Car prep is same as Solo II except for the extra saftey equipment.
Last weekend I did my first hill-climb at the Blue Ridge Sports Car Hillclimb in Sparta, NC. Wow, what a rush. Solo I is a great way to get started in track events.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (JimW337)

wow more pics please....i want to eventually finish my rabbit to be a semi/serious track car for track days as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (Man&Golf)

This is my CACC F/SP Solo II car....I race here in Vancouver, and used it to win 1st place in one of our winter series, and 4th place in the regional events 2002

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (Swift_Golf_Coupe)

Quote, originally posted by Swift_Golf_Coupe »

hmmm makes me wonder how much body roll my car has.........
what spring rates do you guys recommend for track for the front?
i think mine are abit on the soft side atm........but then again their not meant to be a track spring. does someone know roughly what the spring rate is for stock'ish spring compared to track springs? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: want to race solo 1, thinking of buying a rabbit for it, what kind of mo ... (Man&Golf)

I currently use a front spring rate of 500 lbs and a rear spring rate of 350 lbs on a SCCA H-Production Wabbit. For the weight of the car, these rates seem to be fairly good with double adjustable Koni shocks and 8 inch wide Hoosier racing slicks.
Don't know the spring rate of a stock VW spring but I would guess about 100 lbs to 125 lbs for a front spring.
My race spring rates are definitely too stiff for any street application as they are intended for only a race situation. Regards, WWR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts