VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'85 Cabby front carpet. I have the seats out, sills out, shift console out, a/c drain cover off but not sure what to do for the "twist carpet fasteners" (description in another thread) way up front. I see what looks like some type of squeeze clip? It looks like two small pieces of sheet metal with 90 degree bends that from the part sticking out have smaller 45 degree bends away from each other. Then the flat area against the carpet has a hole through which a pin comes in. I'm sure the pin is permanently attached to the fire wall. There is also what looks similar to a star washer over the pin and fasteners. What I want to know is the proper way to remove them without doing any damage to the carpet, pin or fastener. Too many times I've broken hard to replace items without finding out the proper procedure first. I thought maybe I was suppose to squeeze those two 45 degree portions together to release the grip on the pin and then it would easily twist off. But the amount of resistance caused me to caution going any further.
Thanks.

·
Registered
21,958 Posts
'85 Cabby front carpet. I have the seats out, sills out, shift console out, a/c drain cover off but not sure what to do for the "twist carpet fasteners" (description in another thread) way up front. I see what looks like some type of squeeze clip? It looks like two small pieces of sheet metal with 90 degree bends that from the part sticking out have smaller 45 degree bends away from each other. Then the flat area against the carpet has a hole through which a pin comes in. I'm sure the pin is permanently attached to the fire wall. There is also what looks similar to a star washer over the pin and fasteners. What I want to know is the proper way to remove them without doing any damage to the carpet, pin or fastener. Too many times I've broken hard to replace items without finding out the proper procedure first. I thought maybe I was suppose to squeeze those two 45 degree portions together to release the grip on the pin and then it would easily twist off. But the amount of resistance caused me to caution going any further.
Thanks.
You can try to use a Door panel tool and a block of wood to lever them off.
You can use a pair of diagonal cutters and cut them off, as you can get replacements at
a hardware store (pick-a-nut) section.
I usually cut them off and replace them.

You can also use the speed acorn nut to zip down on the stud too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant to come back and update this, been busy with all the other things that have gone wrong. Those angled clips on the front passenger side came up pretty easily with gentle prying from underneath with two large screwdrivers on either side of the stud. Once the gap to the floor got too large to pry, I grabbed it with pliers and pulled. The drivers side had two round disks for the clips. The outside one was fine with the same procedure but the one by the gas pedal didn't have enough room to pry very much with the screwdrivers. I have an old pair of pliers with a center pin that is actually a bolt and nut. I took it apart which then gave me two curved rocking pry bars that gave me the leverage in that small space to pry it off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.