VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I assume you are speaking of the control unit with 3 knobs and the 2 button A/C control directly under it? This has become an extremely hard item(s) to locate working or unbroken. Face plate and knobs may or may not come with it. Here's a link to a German local E bay for Corrado's. I've personally found many items new and used. Unfortunately there is shipping and if seller will ship to USA. Most will if you cover costs. Hope this helps or increases your search scope.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Do you have a unit at all that's just broken, or no? I have repaired many using Mk3 parts in conjunction with the couple of unique Corrado parts

or, you could always convert to the Mk4 controls as I did with some fancy LED mods :D

That looks really good and fits! Where did you find a cig lighter surround without cutouts for the buttons?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a unit at all that's just broken, or no? I have repaired many using Mk3 parts in conjunction with the couple of unique Corrado parts

or, you could always convert to the Mk4 controls as I did with some fancy LED mods :D

Yes would love to know more about how you did this. I'll have to ask my shop but I think the lights are dead..

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
I'll have to dig up my old thread from the Corrado Forum, but there are pics and descriptions in my build thread. Trying to repair broken links, but vortex only lets you edit 10 posts per week...

I used a piece of blue painters tape across the face of the Cig lighter and filled the back side with some plastic epoxy. Then used some black interior spray paint. you can't tell.

The head unit itself just needs a spacer behind each mount screw. The wiring and the cable mounts need to be modified. The Mk4 cables have plastic blocks with a hole melted to the cable housing. I took the black end blocks off of the mk4 cables, put them on the 93+ cables and took a hot soldering iron to do the same.

Wiring - HVAC control wiring diagram

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow, I wasn't aware it was possible to install a MK4 HVAC control unit in a Corrado. That's pretty cool!

When I deleted the A/C off my car, I wanted to keep the OEM look so I sourced an MK2 firewall block off plate under the hood. And for the inside of the car it is possible to find the cigarette lighter trim LHD without the A/C cut out (535863284A) but it has been one of the hardest part I've had to source from Europe. They don't come up that often... I also managed to find an HVAC cover plate without the A/C lettering. Nice work with the black epoxy, well done!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
Wow, I wasn't aware it was possible to install a MK4 HVAC control unit in a Corrado. That's pretty cool!

When I deleted the A/C off my car, I wanted to keep the OEM look so I sourced an MK2 firewall block off plate under the hood. And for the inside of the car it is possible to find the cigarette lighter trim LHD without the A/C cut out (535863284A) but it has been one of the hardest part I've had to source from Europe. They don't come up that often... I also managed to find an HVAC cover plate without the A/C lettering. Nice work with the black epoxy, well done!
Yep, wasn't about to source the non-A/C one, but nice work.

The Mk4 uses the same cable design as the 93+. And in fact, you could use the Mk4 cables and not have to do the mod I mentioned, but would likely need to pull the dash to replace and hook on the HVAC side. Thats, why I just adapted the plastic block ends that hold the cables to the HVAC control to the 93+ cables in car.

The key is to get the Electrical connectors to the Mk4 head unit. You can re-pin Wires from the Corrado.

This is honestly one of the best mods that I have done (other than swapping to the late style interior) :)

·
Registered
13,175 Posts

The Mk4 uses the same cable design as the 93+. And in fact, you could use the Mk4 cables and not have to do the mod I mentioned, but would likely need to pull the dash to replace and hook on the HVAC side. Thats, why I just adapted the plastic block ends that hold the cables to the HVAC control to the 93+ cables in car.

The key is to get the Electrical connectors to the Mk4 head unit. You can re-pin Wires from the Corrado.

This is honestly one of the best mods that I have done (other than swapping to the late style interior) :)
While I was at it, I reinforced the whole back of the Center Bezel with this piece of birch and epoxy along all backing, because it was self imploding on it's own lol...

·
Registered
161 Posts

Oh man I wish I had known about this before! It would have save me cash and headache... You did a real good job at reinforcing it as well. I had to do similar on mine too using the black epoxy you've used. Does the MK4 controller exist without the A/C? I do have a 93+ so it would be straight forward as well, damn next time!
Thanks for sharing, cheers

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
They are still available new. Check with any VW classics dealer $320 shipped to the US.
Yes, but I have bought complete Corrados for less :)

If you want and must have the 93-95 controls and you have NOTHING, then this is a real option. However, if you don't need a new A/C Max switch, then you can easily rebuilt the HVAC unit from a very cheap and brand new (or even used) Mk3 head unit. Just takes work to transfer parts and patience.

Else, Mk4 is my best suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts