Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m in search of the lower centre bumper grill, gloss black preferably,
Original part number
5K0.853.677M
please can anyone assist

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I got my new side grills from a seller on aliexpress. I am not sure if it was that seller, but the ones that I got seem identical in all respects to the originals, so I have no reservations in recommending others to buy them.

When I double checked the link, even more options popped up for even less.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Why do you post here just to add negativity having no experience in the matter? Mine fit perfect. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the set of side grills that I got for $60 shipped and the originals, other than that the originals were pitted to h^ll.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Didn’t mean no offense, but was stating my experience with aftermarket parts.. never tried genuine vw China, but I would because it’s still factory.. I did a MK6 golf r Genuine European front end conversion and went with all genuine vw parts..mind you I did work for Audi dealership which house a Vw dealer too.. employee discount was great, but even without discount I would’ve search 3rd party sites for genuine parts.. the only part I couldn’t get was the European front end because it’s not available in North America. Complete European golf r front with genuine golf r black out headlight. It was not cheap project. Close to $3000 but it a slow patient process with amazing end result. I’m quality or quantity type of person.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My golf is a replica but I still wnat it to look right. It’s been done to a high standard, just unfortunately a deer saw the better of me. Luckily only damaged the centre bottom grille. Gloss black so ideally want to get one already painted.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Sorry about the rant. People had the same opinion that we are seeing with China with German cars from 70 years ago, Japanese cars 50 years ago and Korean cars 30 years ago. All of them ended up taking huge chunks of the auto industry, but were called "junk" when they first came over. There is definitely "Chinese junk" these days, as there was with things from other countries years ago. It is never good to dismiss everything from somewhere as "junk". To me, hearing that is a sure sign you are seeing the next big competitor and if you want to compete you need to be on your game.

I have a sort of hybrid view on these parts. For something like mechanical or engine parts, I ONLY use factory parts or known quality suppliers like ARP fasteners, Mahle Motorsports bearings, etc. I don't even like aftermarket clutches. If those parts fail, the results can be catastrophic, and the aftermarket doesn't have the same standards to build to. I am starting to see even German brands, like Hengst, Mahle, and Mann now come from China. Would I prefer if they came from Germany, Hungary, Poland, Italy, etc., like they used to? I admit that I do, but as long as the quality is good, I won't argue about the source.

For body parts, I ONLY use factory fenders, bumpers, etc. In my experience, the aftermarket stuff never fits properly, or is as quality as the factory stuff. I would take a used factory bumper or fender over a new aftermarket any day. I would not trust an aftermarket Golf R bumper.

For trim parts, interior and electronics, I am somewhat flexible, and am OK with aftermarket if it something that is not function critical and I am willing to risk a little where things don't matter or can easily be exchanged with the factory parts. For example, my driver side mirror turn signal repeater was cracked on my R. Factory part is $60 or so as I recall. For $40 or so I got a set of aftermarket repeaters with sequential LEDs and puddle lights that fit perfect and look a bit more modern. I really like the puddle lights at night. If I want, I can always replace them with the factory parts, but I see no reason to.

As for the grills, it sure seems to me that the ones that I got are factory parts. Even if they turn to dust though, I am only out $60, and a new set of the grills from VW will easily go right in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bumper is genuine R and so was the grille.
bit for some reason Vw cannot guarantee it will fit as it’s not originally for my car. And if it does not fit I cannot return it. £250.
So I’m looking for a used one but in good condition or a very good after market one as long as it fits properly. There are a few I’ve found with the correct part number just not in stock so I thought I’d ask see if anyone has one for sale

·
Registered
501 Posts
Brand new genuine vw golf r side grille are 65-75 at dealer which it includes shipping because dealer never charges shipping to customers.
BTW European golf r bumper is a direct fit on all USA Golfs, GTI and TDI too.. only fabrication needed would be to cut off 4 inch on each side of the impact beam and replace foam piece with golf r foam piece. It’s less protrusion.
BTW don’t buy outside USA shipping cost will kill you.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I’m not after the side grilles.

im looking for the lower centre grille mk6
This thread has gone way off the rails. The link that I posted above does have the center grill advertised. Perhaps it isn't real, or maybe it is total aftermarket junk, as some seem to imply, but it is an option. I got the outer grills from a similar source, and those turned out great, so if it were me, I would give it a try.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It is the same as the other center grill, but it comes with the two center parking sensors already installed. That is the one that is on my car, but I took off the sensors as my car doesn't have that system. They just clip in. The previous owner made a big deal of paying extra for the "Euro" part. It was only "Euro" because they paid for two extra pieces that won't be used. If you don't have the front parking sensors, try to get the plain grill and save some money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts