VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? I'm new to this forum. I'm looking into getting a GTI VR6. Is thier any models/years that are the best? I own a 1g 1990 Talon TSi. Which is like the bastard year out of the DSMs. Their are some differences from the 90 to the 91-94. So I just wanted to see if thier was anything like that in the GTI VR6's. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: Wanting to by a GTI VR6 (Eastern Brigade)

I don't like the MkIV cars, which are 99.5 and up (the 'current' body style). The MkIII is what I own and I like the more austere interior and lack of additional weight. I would reccomend getting a 98 or 99 MkIII car. The computer in those seem to take to engine modification with less complaint.
Check out the 12v VR6 forum (I'm assuming you don't want a brand new one) for stuff about the motor itself. There are guys running 10's with turbos and 13's all motor in MkIII cars.

·
Registered
704 Posts

I have been very happy with my MKIV 12v VR6. No problems with the Chip, Suspension & Exhaust. Very very happy with the car.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

The 200 hp 24V VR6 was introduced midway through MY2002, prior to that they are 174hp 12V motors. The 24V VR6 also comes with a six speed manual. I have a 2000 VR6 and love it. I wouldn't mind adding a MKIII GTI VR6 to the garage. I think my Jetta gets lonely in there sometimes

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Re: Wanting to by a GTI VR6 (sntx)

My dad has a 24V VR6. Here is my .02 cents!
MK3 VR6= More fun, and toss able lighter curb weight, definitely more of an aftermarket just due to the fact its been out much longer, feels much faster 0-100 than my dads VR6 stock for stock, doesn’t pull as hard as the 24v up top, if that’s a problem get cams!
MK4 VR6 24V= Dads car, the MK4 feels more like a grown up in terms of engine performance, it is not near as racy, the torque is way lower in the 24v, and pulls pretty hard up top. The curb weight hampers it though 0-60 and it shows in the turns as well, I am sure a nice set of tires and springs can help out. The aftermarket is coming together slowly but surely with GIAC and Revo on the horizon as well as a supercharger kit. His car really moves on the highway the 6spd is nice too.
You really can't go wrong with either of them, they both emit that beautiful sound, one of them is more grown up than the other the 24v, and the MK3 seems, more of a drivers car to me. Just my own opinion!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks guys for the info. I'm doing research right now on the VW before I got and buy one. I just want something that I can mod pretty easily and won't be too much of a PITA....lol. How are the trannys in the cars? Can they handle the mods done on the car. I know in the DSM world 2nd gear snycro are a big problem in the 5 spd manuals. Thanks again for the help. Any more info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
5,452 Posts

the trannys are tough as nails with one exception, the differential is rivited to the ring gear and they like to self machine when you add a couple hp, a lsd and bolt kit fix(just a bolt kit would as well, but since youre in there...) that and then you are good to about 400whp before you run into tranny problems.

Modified by norman at 11:06 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Re: Wanting to by a GTI VR6 (norman)

btw. check out the 12v or 24v forums under the technical section, lots of good info there

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,816 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Eastern Brigade »
What's up guys? I'm new to this forum. I'm looking into getting a GTI VR6. Is thier any models/years that are the best? I own a 1g 1990 Talon TSi. Which is like the bastard year out of the DSMs. Their are some differences from the 90 to the 91-94. So I just wanted to see if thier was anything like that in the GTI VR6's. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dan

As everyone has said, there are two generation GTI VR6s. One is referred to as the MkIII and the other is the current gen MkIV. The MkIII's have been around since 94/95 until 99.5. After this you have the mkIV's.
There are some very subtle differences in the motors of the MkIII's. The 94 and 95 GTi's are OBDI cars. After this, they are OBDII. This is not a huge thing if you keep the car stock, or with mild modifications. But if you are going to do a turbo or s/c, this information is very important for chip tuning. Other than this point, the motors and suspension are pretty much the same throughout the years of the mkIII.
The MkIV also can be had with a VR6. This motor is a little different than the MkIII. For the 12v version, the biggest difference is the intake manifold. Someone can probably clue you into the specifics, (I own a mkIII-style VR6) but basically, they are a variable intake design. However, the intake manifold is plastic and I have heard that in some VR6's of this era, there could be some issues with the device that switches the intake from the low rpm to high rpm profile (for lack of the proper term). All VR6's to this point were a 12v SOHC design and rated at around 174 hp or so. Within the last year or so, VW has added 12 more valves to make it a 24v design with 201hp.
The VR6 is a pretty decent design with some inherent weakness, like any other motor. Though the internals are pretty stout. As far as modifications, there are some crazy folks dumping tons of money into all-motor setup (most are 12v people though), but the pay-off isn't really there at this time unless you totally gut the car. So forced induction is the only way to make these cars screamers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I saw that Kinetic Motorsports is going to be offering or is offfering a turbo set up for the VR6's. Has anybody heard anything on that? Down the line I may want to turbo charge the car, but with my DSM the Damn think is always up on jack stands.....lol! So I may just go all motor. I worked with Slowboy Racing in Indiana, PA and got to know the DSM pretty good but I am new to the VW's. So all this is good info. Thanks again guys.
Dan

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,816 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Eastern Brigade »
I saw that Kinetic Motorsports is going to be offering or is offfering a turbo set up for the VR6's. Has anybody heard anything on that? Down the line I may want to turbo charge the car, but with my DSM the Damn think is always up on jack stands.....lol! So I may just go all motor. I worked with Slowboy Racing in Indiana, PA and got to know the DSM pretty good but I am new to the VW's. So all this is good info. Thanks again guys.
Dan

You should definitely check out the FI and VR6 forums for specifics. But, all motor is tough on the VR6. You won't get too far past 220 whp at the top end of the spectrum with a 12v VR6. And that's with the 2.8l motor bored out, cammed, and head work. Not to mention other odds and ends. It really isn't worth the cash you will be dropping to go all motor.
The question really comes out to be, how much power do you want/how fast do you want to be? Then of course, how much money do you have. Boost can be pretty reliable on a VR6 if done right and not turned up to crazy psi. You can either go with a blower (which I have) or a turbo.
The other problem inherent to any form of high power on a fwd car is going to be traction. I am guessing you have an AWD mitsu, which can likely handle quite a bit of power before all 4 wheels spin. This isn't the case with Dubs. You are best advised to get a quaife or peloquin differential, which of course will make it very easy to replace the clutch and flywheel while you're in there. It gets pretty pricey as you can see.
Now as far as people who make kits for these cars, you have a number of options.
I;m not a turbo guy, but I do know that places such as ATP, HPA, EIP make turbo kits for 12v motors. There are likely others, like you suggested, but that's what I know off the top of my head.
For blowers, the two hot companies are VF-engineering and C2 motorsports. Unfortunately, C2 only makes OBDII stuff currently. There also, other places (I think AMS also has OBDII kits) that make s/c.
Then you have another option, and this is more along the lines of custom made stuff. The name that comes to mind is Bill Schimmel, from somewhere (forgot where exactly at this moment) in eastern PA. He can build you a turbo or s/c system for your car. This guy doesn't mess around though. His work is top dollar and he uses very good componantry. He gave me a quote for how much it would cost to put a blower system in my car, and was extermely thorough with what he was going to do, but it was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. So I passed.
ANyway, there are a decent number of options for boost, not so sure about all motor. I do know that Matrix Engineering out on the West coast builds decent motors.
Good luck! When you have a better idea of exactly what you want out of the car, we can give you a better idea of where to look or a direction to take.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: Wanting to by a GTI VR6 (6cylVWguy)

If you're really concerned about price/horsepower you should run screaming from VW period. I'm going n/a cause I like to be different.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'll have to see what I can do and what type of money I want to spend as always. Thanks 6cylVWguy for all the info. I dumped alot of money into the Talon and I may just rebuild the motor and run with a lightly moded VW or just sell the Talon and go all out on the VW if I got ahead and buy one. THANKS!
Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts