VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m looking to boost my 2003 vw Mk4 GTI. I kinda would like some advice about going it. This is my first vw and I haven’t boosted one so please help me out with what I’m going to need to do this project. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oh boy, you're going to love a boosted VR6.

First things off, what are your power goals? What is your budget? What are you looking to get out of it? Do you want a laggy turbo? Do you want a turbo that spools up at 3k rpm or 4.5k rpm? Kind of depends on what you want.

Engine wise, the VR6 is a great to boost. With a headspacer (to lower the compression) and head studs you can get some high numbers. Whereas with the 1.8T you need to pull apart the whole block, new rods, valves etc.

Most people boost up to 10/12 psi without any engine mods. That's a safe point. With Head Studs and Headspacer you can up the boost and ofcourse, More Power!!!
When adding a headspacer, the VR6 becomes a non-interference engine, which is always good!

Lots of information online, do you research and always double check!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I’m I’m not looking to spent over 2000 buck and I want to get the snappy power so wen the peddle hit it goes. I have the money and the skills to do it I just don’t know really anything about vw I’m a 2jz guy. I’m just branching out to a new area and running with it. If you could or know some links that could help me with this boosting project lmk. Thanks MiltDoggie

·
Registered
2005 Jetta GLI VR6 swap, 2009 VW CC, 2014 VW Jetta (wife), 2018 Kia Stinger GT2
212 Posts
$2000 ain't gonna do it, 2JZ boi. Start stripping out weight if you want it Fast n Furious and spend that money on maintenance items, its going to need it.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Speed kills! You should look into slowing your car down to be safer. I'd suggest running some aftermarket software that drops 3 cylinders while driving to conserve gas.Also install a governor speed limiter and set that to around 67mph maximum top speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts