VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to the dealer to get my instrument cluster changed, and I decided to stop by one of the few stations that sells race gas in Spokane (Divine's Shell). They sell 101 "Trick" gas. So, I put about 14 gal (@5.50/gal...not cheap sh*t)...happy that I can use my race program...turn the car on...felt "weird", turn off the gas station drive way...sputter, back fire, engine rocking...smell something burning...then, dead. What the f*ck!!! I'm thinking I left the gas cap off...nope it's snug. Pull out the VAGCOM, thinking it might be a coil that just died all of a sudden...nope. Turn back around to the gas staion, took about 15 min of on off's to get to back to the station, which was only 1 blk away.
I walk in to the attendant, and ask what the hell is wrong with the gas? (sorry if this will offend) Picture two uneducated hicks who parents may have called each other bro and sis...give me a blank stare. I ask if they have a container so I can get a sample of the fuel...again, blank stares with a simple..."uh, we don't have any" M'Fers, this is gas station...you must have a container. I go the my car, grab my Dasani. dump out my $1.50 water...then took a sample. What came out looked like sh*t! The gas had tons of brown liquid!
At this point I'm livid, I march into the station asking for the manager...blank stares..."uh, he's not here". I told them in my most stern, yet composed (out of my head) voice to get him NOW!
In the meantime, I walk back to my car, and a man approaches me. It's a city inspector for WIS (?) and Measures (they deal with all the gas stations and other petroleum products I guess). he hands me a number to call. I call and leave as message, as the manager arrives. I tell him what is going on, and proceed to show him my gas sample. He goes and takes his own sample...hmmm, lo and behold, the same sh*t comes out. So, he takes my info and says "I'm not admitting reponsibility just yet" Um, sludge just came out of the pump, what does he mean, not admint fault? Idiot. But I guess they sort of admitted it when they offered to pay for the tow truck, and tells me save my receipts.
Ok, now the two truck arrives, about an hours since this began. Again, I realize the my 13 yrs of post hs education was worth it. The driver took about an hour to load my car! I showed him the tow hook, and asks me "Is that it?" takes out some chains with multiple hooks. I say, that's it...he then starts looking under the car for places to hook on to...once again, I repeat, that it (pointing to the hook)...he then goes the rear of the car, and say maybe I can get it from here...I look at him in amazement, and say "no, you have to use the tow hook, and if you want to pull it from the rear, you'll still have to attach the tow hook!" So, he decides to use the hook, all the while complaining how "these cars need to come up with something different" cause he's not had to tow a car like this before. (Slapping my head, now). Then trying to strap the wheels down...well, that was a sight. Finally get the car on the truck.
Some one from the City arrives while duffus was loading my car, ask me what happened. I tell him that the gas was contaminated, show him my sample, says "yup" and that it was good that I called cause the station may have had a chance to "clean up" and accuse my car of having pre-exsisting problems. Also, he stated that he can be a witness if this goes to claims court.
Almost 2 hours already pass, it's almost 5o'clock, on a Friday, which means no one is going to look at my car until Monday.
What the worst thing that can happen to the engine?
Here's the gas:

See the crap on the bottom? It was nicely mixed together as I poured 14 gal into my car.

Modified by gary_phd at 1:25 AM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Warning about Divine's Shell in Spokane (2nd and Hatch)...contaminated race fuel! (gary_phd)

that looks like a whole lot of water, and guessing by how much you have in that small container i would think you prolly put atleast somwhere around a gallon in your tank. that sucks. i have heard stories of gas stations watering down there fuel before but never thought they would actualy add water......lol well hopfully you get them to pay for that and good luck.

·
Registered
1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2017 VW eGolf
7,528 Posts
Re: Warning about Divine's Shell in Spokane (Hunterjohn01)

that sucks! i hope nothing happens to your car. at least you got all the right people there so you can place blame with no arguement. hope it all goes well.

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
your car should be fine. Good system flush new filter and it should be good to go. I would be pissed though. Looks like the stuff has been in that tank for many years. only time i have seen gas that bad was in a 72 chevy that had sat for 3 years without being ran.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Re: (Pred)

Quote, originally posted by Pred »
your car should be fine. Good system flush new filter and it should be good to go. I would be pissed though. Looks like the stuff has been in that tank for many years. only time i have seen gas that bad was in a 72 chevy that had sat for 3 years without being ran.

I agree, your car will be fine. I'ts b/s though, that a station would thin down RACE gas! What are they thinking? Oh, you probly wouldn't notice? http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif I would make them pay the tow bill and what ever the dealer charges you

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far they've paid for the towing to the dealer already...I'm keeping all the

receipts for rental car and any repairs (which I'll find out about this Monday).
You're right, that brown water look VERY old. Wonder how many other people put this ****ty gas in their car.

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Re: So far they've paid for the towing to the dealer already...I'm keeping all the (gary_phd)

congrats on getting all the right people http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Like everyone else said... does suck that they watered their gas down... Are you getting a refund on the gas too?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Re: So far they've paid for the towing to the dealer already...I'm keeping all the (buddylove)

Holy crap! And that was where I was going to buy my gas for this years track days and autocross events!
Sorry it had to be you man, but thanks for taking one for the team!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Re: So far they've paid for the towing to the dealer already...I'm keeping all the (NWDub'n337)

that sucks man, I too lived in spokane and can atest for the plethora of stupidity in that town, I'm so glad I dont live in Spokansas anymore

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
Re: So far they've paid for the towing to the dealer already...I'm keeping all the (Grabbit)

Quote, originally posted by Grabbit »
that sucks man, I too lived in spokane and can atest for the plethora of stupidity in that town, I'm so glad I dont live in Spokansas anymore

Spokansas... i like that

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Great.....I've been running that exact fuel from Divines for several years in my race jet ski. I NEVER noticed problems with the fuel as I always checked it before mixing with my premix oil. There's another shop in town somewhere that sells VP racing fuel. Anyone know where it is???

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Re: So far they've paid for the towing to the dealer already...I'm keeping all the (Pred)

No it is not Spokansas. Its Spokompton!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's places I've found (WolfWagen)

Spokane Raceway Park - Trick
approx $5.50 a gallon for Unleaded/Leaded blends
approx $8.50 for turbo blends
Divine's Oil Company - Shell Station - Sunoco
203 West 3rd Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201
(509) 455-8622
(Only sells leaded here, and you need to bring your own container)
Divine's Oil Company - Shell Station - Sunoco
701 E. 2nd Spokane, WA
(this is where I bought the sh*ty gas)
114 researched
110 motor octane
4.95 + tax per gallon
105 researched GT100 Unleaded
95 motor octane
Don't have price
Clark Oil Co - Unocal 76
103 E Summit Ave, Coeur D Alene, ID 83814
(208) 664-4421
Mustang Andy - Unocal 76
Spokane, WA
(509) 924-9824
Mechanics - Unocal 76
North on Market / Spokane, WA
Mark Maguire in Spokane - VP Fuels
(509) 328-1818 pager 509 622-0393
Delivery available
Motion Sports - VP Fuels
2920 Government Way Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
(208) 667-8515

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
Re: Warning about Divine's Shell in Spokane (2nd and Hatch)...contaminated race fuel! (gary_phd)

Crud. Sorry to hear that your trip to town turned into a nightmare. I hope those who said your car will be fine are right. How handy that the weights&measures guy happened by though! Almost makes you wonder if the city knew something might be up and was keeping an eye on the place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Warning about Divine's Shell in Spokane (arsigi)

I know, it was way to conicidental. Glad that it did happen though, other wise it would have been me vs the station. The city knows the gas was dirty, so if need be, I'll take them to court.
If my engine was damaged, I'm hoping it's unfixable and they say that I need a new engine!
Only problem is there there some mods that will need to be transferred.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Re: Warning about Divine's Shell in Spokane (gary_phd)

This station has appeared to have problems for quite a while. On the way to one of last year's autocross events, a friend and I stopped by there to fill up on Trick. The aforementioned hick told us that there were problems with the gas and they weren't carrying it anymore. Hrm..

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Divines has always had a very bad reputation in Spocompton.
Thank you for listing the other companies in our area which carries race fuel. I didn't realize there are so many places!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Uberhare)

Well, got car back from the dealer today...total cost: $877.18 ($598.20 purge clean gastank; $211.55 rental car; Refund of sh*t gas $67.43)
Cost to me: $0
The owner was very helpful and cut a check for me as soon as I showed them the receipts. Reportedly, they're not going to sell the race gas until they find out what's wrong. I personally won't buy from them again.

·
Registered
1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2017 VW eGolf
7,528 Posts
Re: (gary_phd)

good to here that you didn't have to pay for it and that nothing serious happened to your car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts